Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this plant?

Posted by ahyom toronto (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 13:32

I bought it at a Canadian Tire clearance sale, but the lot of them looked pretty healthy, and I was told it's an indoor plant. Can anyone tell me its name so I can read about its care needs?

It's also browning on a couple leaves, what could that be? Not sure if I can post multiple pics on the original post, I'll try to add them after.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this plant?

what's up with these leaves, should they be trimmed off?

o

I believe that's a variegated Plectranthus. Sorry, but can't really suggest care as I don't grow it. Am guessing bright, indirect light, maybe add 30% perlite to that mix to make it faster draining. Nice plant, looks healthy too.

I wouldn't worry about the slight browning at that leaf edge or 2, it's probably just settling in.

o

Very pretty plant! Agree with what PG said. And ugly leaves should always be trimmed off, IMO, unless they are all the plant has.

If you're looking for things to read about this plant, it's one of the strange people, or at least a Plectranthus that looks very similar. The care is likely identical even if yours is a different species.

o

Thanks so much for the name and the link! Good to hear they are beginner friendly :)

o

You're welcome. Most plants are "easier" than we think if you have a decent soil and are able to meet the basic needs for its' environment. Familiarize yourself a bit more with roots/soil/drainage, and you'll be more ready to branch out.

o

Ahyom. Your Plectranthus is really pretty...love the colors.

Agree, it's an easy plant, as long as soil isn't kept too wet, especially in winter.

Plects prefer cooler temps to too much heat.

Every so often, 'once a month,' pinch top two leaves per stem so it doesn't grow spindly. Normally, Plects are compact growers.

They enjoy being summered outdoors. In autumn, little pink/purple flowers grow.

My Plects are fertilized with Fish Emulsion, organic fertilizer. A balanced fertilizer will also work.

Are leaves fragrant? I have two Plects, one with green, smooth leaves, the second has fuzzy, variegated foliage. Both have a minty scents. Smell is easier to detect rubbing leaves w/your thumb and finger. Reminds me of spring.

Very pretty... Toni

o

I've repotted using all purpose soil (with peat moss, compost, humus, and perlite) is that fine?
Is it a good idea to place a layer of pebbles on the base to help drainage? I have skipped out on this.

On fertilizer, I have a bucket of Miricle Grow all purpose 24-8-16. It's designed to use with a garden hose, but is it fine if I dilute some in water instead?

And yes, the leaves are fuzzy and have a lovely mint scent :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here