Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skhbsee

Polyscias fruticosa 'Elegans' (Parsley Aralia)

skhbsee
14 years ago

I bought a Parsley Aralia (Polyscias fruticosa 'Elegans') some months ago... actually didn't even know what it was until today. For the last month or so, its leaves have been falling of. It is still producing new growth, but it has dramatically thinned out. Does anyone know how to nurse this plant back to full foliage. I did repot (its in about an 8in pot now.. up from about a 5in pot) and I keep the soil moist, but not wet. I have a makeshift nursery in my apartment for some orchids I've been trying to grow, so I can control humidity and light, but I'm not sure what it will take to liven this beauty back up. I'd appeciate any sugestions. I beleive it is a relatively young specimen, because its main trunks are still partially green, thin (4-5 mm), and flexible). It hasn't really began looking like a 'tree' yet.

Comments (3)

• amccour
    14 years ago

Polyscias fruticosa really needs to dry down between waterings. I wouldn't recommend keeping the soil constantly moist. They're pretty rot prone.

They also like being rootbound and tend to respond to repotting by dropping a lot of foliage.

• stinkybuds
    13 years ago

Yea, I wouldnt have repotted and they do like to be more on the dry side. I let my Aralias dry out considerably before drenching again. I bought one recently that was so dry in the store you would think it would have died but it had only a few brown leaves. So, these plants are definitely somewhat drought tolerant.
    -Chris

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I think the horse is out of the barn on this one.

I was about to respond when I noticed the post is over a year old (14 months) so never mind.