Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can l see some examples of different potting soils WlTH PlCTURES?

Posted by squidy WA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 14:02

I keep reading about making your own potting soils, but I don't know what they're supposed to look like, so I'm having trouble. For example I tried to make one with sand and bark because it's supposed to add more drainage, but it turned into a big sticky sand-dirt cake that just stays wet.
If anyone has pictures/videos of different mixes, or knows a site that does, I'd love to see them. And if you can list some examples of the types of plants they're best for, that would be awesome too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can l see some examples of different potting soils WlTH PlCTU

You want to do a search for Al's Gritty mix. You'll find lots of what you're looking for. A couple years ago I started using that mix. The link provided contains some pictures and some discussion about soil components.

Good luck

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for pictures

o
RE: can l see some examples of different potting soils WlTH PlCTU

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 14:36

FWIW - 'drainage' and flow-through rates are two different things. Sand, including builder's or mason's sand, is too fine to afford good drainage and aeration, especially when compined with a fraction of peat, compost, and/or other small particles like topsoil or most bagged mixes, even in view of the fact that sand normally has a favorable flow-through rate.

The first three pics are the fast draining, well-aerated soil I grow all my houseplants in. The first two are made from Turface/crushed granite/fir bark, and the third pic shows Turface/granite/pine bark

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is another excellent soil for houseplants, veggies, and mixed containers, made with pine bark/peat/perlite in a 5:1:1 ratio (in the middle)
Photobucket

For a discussion about houseplant soils on this forum, and to learn how to make your own soils click me

See the link below for even more detailed info, if you have interest.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: For an even better understanding of soils ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here