Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

My Jasmine cutting took TWO years to grow root!

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

I placed the cuttings of my Jasmine in water in January 2013.

This branch just refuses to root. Over the last month, August 2014, the main branch disintegrated in water and roots started to grow out from a secondary branch attached to the previous main branch.

The previous main branch did form a healing panel at the base of the stem in March 2013; but it NEVER grew any root out of it.

How bizarre!

Comments (2)

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

My guess would be that the water wasn't holding enough oxygen. A container that's too narrow at the top, too deep/not wide enough, stuffed too full, etc, doesn't have enough surface area for oxygen to be exchanged at the surface of the water. Too little O2 means the cutting can't root, and eventually rots.

Using a container with a wide mouth, and keeping the water level wider than it is deep will facilitate O2 exchange. Changing the water daily, and/or aerating it manually several times daily (shaking, swirling, stirring) also helps.

Good luck with the new shoot.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by kwie2011 8a w. OR (My Page) on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 16:55

I was using a container with a wide mouth, and keeping the water level wider than it is deep. The entire glass jar has only this one cutting sitting in it. It refuses to root for 2 years. Over the last month, August 2014, the main branch disintegrated in water and roots started to grow out from a secondary branch attached to the previous main branch.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals