Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pereskia aculeata

Posted by ttkidd Toronto ON (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:06

Another plant update....

I received this as a foliage free stem cuttings a couple years ago. Here they are shortly after potting:

I potted them separately after they established. Here's one of them now:

I'm not really sure how I should be growing this one, but it seems to be happy. It would be nice to develop it as a bonsai, but it seems to be naturally developing a reverse taper in the branch structure. Does anyone know this plant? Any idea how to correct that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pereskia aculeata

Hi Ttkid,

I have two Pereskias..

My Pereskia aculeata has orange 'top' and purple, 'lower-leaf' foliage.
Your upper and lower leaves look purple....are they or is it the photo?

I was told although Perskia is a succulent, they're water hogs in summer..or when hot and sunny.

During winter months, I allow soil to dry to the point soil is crumbly. In other words, if you stick your finger in soil, the center is dry.

I fertilize succulents with Fish Emulsion, which works fine. My other Perskia flowers without using flowering fertilizer, but the orange-leaf has never bloomed.
Thanks to my neglect! :)

How much sun does your Perskia get? Which direction does the window face?

My guy is outside, but the sun bleached the leaves..even with extra water. It's been outside since May.

Good luck, Toni

o
RE: Pereskia aculeata

• Posted by ttkidd Toronto ON (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 13:22

Thanks hopefulauthor.

It's not the best shot. The leaves are purple on the bottom and a dark green on top.

I've noticed that they're huge water hogs. I have them growing in pure turface, and if I don't water every couple days during the summer they noticeably wilt. If I let it go more than a week then they start to drop their leaves.

It gets about as much sun as it's possible to give them in an indoor environment. It's an unobstructed south-west view with a lot of glare coming back off the lake. They don't seem to like the heat of being right up close to the window though, so I mostly try to keep them back a few feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here