Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some recent purchases

Posted by ttkidd Toronto ON (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:31

Monterey cypress:

I'm hoping to train this one into more of a Christmas tree shape (I don't have room for a full sized Christmas tree in my condo...especially with all the other plants). While I have it staked upright now, as you can see it has an asymmetrical growth pattern. I have no experience training/pruning conifers, so any advice would be appreciated.

European olive:

I'd like to eventually turn this one into a nice large container plant with a thick tapered trunk. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where I should make my initial cuts.

Kaffir Lime:

Not much to say about this one. I bought it primarily so I could use the pruned leaves in cooking. I love Thai food :) Hopefully I can keep it alive indoors.

This post was edited by ttkidd on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 14:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some recent purchases

Lovely, that olive will surely make for an interesting houseplant!!!!

o

Regarding pruning, generally tip pinching results in tip bifurcation. Removal of leaves farther down the stem should result in a new branch at the node where the leaf was removed.

o

TTkidd...

Nice haul....

I'm not an expert with Cypress/firs, but will it live indoors?
It will need a cool room once the heat is turned on.
It is a beautiful tree though.

Olives are slow-growing. My olive is 14-yrs-old..It's grown 3-4' since 1999.

As for your Kaffir...they're beautiful plants, but yours is a seedling.
I find 'standards' much easier to keep indoors.
Do you order online?
If so, I can give you the name of a citrus nursery in FL that sells, standard citrus trees, 1-3' tall, for 15-20.00 each.
Most of my citrus were purchased at this nursery.

Toni

o

• Posted by ttkidd Toronto ON (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 13:14

Thanks for the replies.

purpleinopp: Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I've been doing some more reading since initially posting, and it looks like olives will tolerate a hard pruning very well, so come spring I may just give it a good whack right down to what you see in the close-up to hopefully get some more compact growth.

hopefulauthor: Apparently this species of cypress can be grown indoors. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it will do well indoors. Since I unpacked it, a few of the sprigs have turned brown, but I'm thinking that may be shipping damage. No sign of general tip browning yet. It has a great smell (citrus/cedar) so I'm hopeful I can do well with it.

It's hard to tell from the shot, but the Kaffir lime is actually a stem cutting. Grown in a greenhouse in a different province. I've got some citron seedlings that I started this year sitting right next to it, so it will be interesting to see how well they do in comparison. Thanks for the offer of getting me the nursery name, but it can be difficult getting plants shipped across the border. I tried it before with some succulents and it was a huge hassle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here