Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devafreya

Help ID a vine and a succulent, pls

DevaFreya
10 years ago

I have two plants that I'd like to have an id on.
Plant 1 is a succulent that I got on the discount rack a couple days ago. It is the one on the left in the photo. It is VERY sad looking, but it was only 50cents, and I figured I that there was a chance I could rejuvenate it somehow.

I've seen this plant healthy at stores before, and I think the leaves always point down. That I've seen, anyways.

Also, the plant on the right in the photo was labelled as a variegated Jade. Is that correct?

Comments (8)

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plant #2 is a vine that I took a cutting of from a friend's houseplant. I googled and couldn't find a pic that looked similar. I've had this one for a couple of years, and have figured out where it grows the best in my house, so it's not essential that I know what it is called. I'm mostly just curious on this one!
    The vines can get very long, but I've kept them short recently, trying to make the pot fuller. I have a few of these growing various places in my house, because they are so easy to root, and they seem very tolerant of light and overwatering!

ftr, the jade in the picture above was a discount plant as well. Everything else in the pot was dead! It doesn't look too bad, really.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Don't know anybody's name up top except the Persian shield.

The 2nd pic is variegated Tradescantia fluminensis. Nice patch of it! Is there a Maranta leaf in there too?

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thank you thank you! That's it!
    There is no Maranta in it. I think that was just a weird angle of a browning leaf. lol. I DID recently just get a few discount prayer plants, though they are not in this pic.

Yes! That is a Persian Shield! I got it as a discounted, very sad looking plant a few weeks ago. The new leaves look much healthier, and more purple. The other plants in the background of that pic are an aloe plant that I'm trying to nurse back to health after soggy soil, and a jade plant.

The plant in the foreground is, I think, an echeveria. I was sort of a ditz and was looking for a plastic plant tag for the name. On the barcode on the side of the pot, it said "echeveria species." So yay! It looks like I have a good shot at rejuvenating it, or at least starting new plants from the leaves.

10 years ago

Real quick before lunch, why is there a towel under the Tradescantia? Be honest...!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Good Afternoon,

I think the first plant on left is Echeveria. It's definately a succulent.

Yep, second plant is Crassula, Jade variegata. Or variegated Jade.

Very nice, Tradescantia.

Good luck with your new plants.. Toni

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

Haha! The towel is there because when I water the plants at the sink, I sit them in the sink to drain and the bottom gets wet. Even after I dry the pots off with a towel, I'm worried it will be damp enough to damage the cube-y bookcase thingy, and I like it a lot. So I put a towel under it until it dries.
    The reason it's STILL there is because I'm a bit lazy (not really lazy, there are just way more fun things to do than that. lol)

In the same vein, if you'll notice, I had to creatively pose and crop photos to remove most evidence that I have kids and my house is totally cluttered with all sorts of kid stuff. haha!

10 years ago

Good to hear you're watering at a sink. I thought you were going to say when you water sometimes it comes out of the drain saucer.

Don't worry too much about the appearance of your Persian shield while it's inside. Having just a few leaves at the tips of the stems is a common indoor appearance for it inside.As long as it stays alive, it will go crazy making pretty new purple leaves when it's able to go back outside.

Oh I do that creative cropping too. Sometimes that doesn't work and more severe measures are necessary... LOL!

• DevaFreya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha! That's awesome! I'll have to remember that technique :-)

I do sometimes water plants without moving them, but when I do that it's never enough to come out the bottom. That's generally when I notice they need water, but I'm too busy to take them all to the sink.

I love the Persian Shield! I'm really glad that I got a few on discount. I'm looking forward to planting them out next year.
    Some of the tips got cut off by a rogue remote control helicopter. I have some in water and some in soil, but they all look very nice so far.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH