Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cachepot and Water Garden - pots without drainage holes

Posted by sheisaeval DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 14:33

I have a few large glazed ceramic planters (about 10 gallons) that do not have drainage holes. I am thinking about using them as a cachepot, since I know most plants do need drainage holes. What's the best way to do this and what plants would work well in this situation? I plan to have these planter inside.

I also have two larger (16 gallon) ceramic planters without drainage holes that I plan to convert into a water garden. Any tips of what plants/fish I could put in it, and if I would need a pump? These are about 16 gallons.

Pictures of both kinds here:
http://i.imgur.com/STNQv.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cachepot and Water Garden - pots without drainage holes

Papyrus and Corkscrew make wonderful water plants. Papyrus comes in different sizes 'mini' and some have varigated leaves.

Papyrus with Pothos hanging around the sides would look good together.

Another option is checking out a pet store that sell fish and supplies. They usually have a good number of plants that'd do well in water. Toni

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 16:00

For water garden, try Colocasia, creeping jenny (will grow in water easily-very nice hanging over sides of pot), aquatic canna, cardinal flower; water lettuce, water hyacinth, parrot's feather; water lilly, duckweed...some of them multiply very fast, some are very tall, so check ahead. There is many, many more. They could be in soil held by special pots for using in water, or you can go frugal & use stocking instead of pot (works very well). Some don't need any soil, they just float.
If I was doing a water garden, I think I would use 'bubler', or even a 'fogger'...Depends how wild you want to go.

You can have any plant in cachepot, since you are planting in another pot & using glazed ceramic for decor. I would make sure there is some space between planted pot & decorative pot for good air circulation, and that it is raised off the bottom so it will not sit in water that may/will drain out. Use a brick or some large rocks to raise it. Or a 'feet' made for raising planters off ground.

o

I do this all the time with my large glazed outdoor pots, although in my wet climate the ceramic pots do need drainage holes too. I have found a type of cheap plastic pot which fits just right inside and have several for each ceramic pot. That way I can change the displays several times a year without any digging. In the winter I have box and violas. In the spring I do bulbs. And in the summer It's usually pelargoniums, verbena etc. I also have some fuchsias which can go in in late summer. The bulbs, fuchsias and box live permanently in the plastic pots and just get hidden somewhere behind the shed when not performing. The only maintenance needed is the occasional repot and the addition of summer annuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here