Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dohadizzy

Pathos cutting in water...slimy and squishy at the end

dohadizzy
9 years ago

Hi there I have some cutting in water for last 4 days I didn't change the water to not stir the cuttings too much...but it seems the cuttings have become soft and squish at the end of the stem...(the leaves are still lovely and bright green) and along the stem is some buildup of slime...so I pulled the cuttings out of the water and cut the lower stems which had gone soft and changed the water...
Will the stem keep going soft upwards? How far up should I cut to remove the rot completely....

Is it possible to just put rooting hormone on the bottom of the newly cut edges and plant directly into soil now? Or should I wait for the plant to grow new roots in the water? I understand roots grown in water are harder to transition to soil...so should I just remove the cuttings now before they grow new roots or will it now confuse the cuttings? Thanks

Comments (9)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

You shouldn't have any problems with rooting them into soil. As long as you keep them moist and humidity high. Putting a large clear plastic bag over them will help with the humidity until they're established.

• dohadizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thks again tropics
    But how exactly will I know plant is established?
    By new leaves appearing?
    Also high humidity? Does this mean a lot of misting then keeping covered? Cos I know pathos don't like wet / moist soil? And I read that soil should also be porous so mix in half pearlite? How often to water the soil then (if cuttings covered with the plastic/glass) until dry an inch under or just dey to touch upper soil? And most how often? Sorry about all the questions!

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

You should only have to water it once right after you plant it, water, then cover with the clear plastic bag. Once you see new growth uncover it. I only had to water mine once. I knew it was moist because I saw little droplets of water/fog on the plastic baggie. Hope this helps!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

Epipremnum aureum (pothos) need lots of moisture but not soggy soil. A loose, airy mix is required for these and most plants. Mix your soil 1/2 to 2/3 perlite or orchid mix to soil.

If you follow Tropics advise you should be fine but once you cover your cuttings don't mist it because it will be moist enough under the plastic. Every couple of days lift the plastic and see if it has started to grow new buds or leaves and once it does, remove the plastic.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Pathos definition states: a quality that evokes pity or sadness. I suppose we should feel sorry for the Pothos.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

No, they're tough. They don't need anyone's pity, LOL.

They're a semi-epiphyte. They grow up in trees with roots running down the trunks, but then the roots go into the ground. But the roots stay shallow and mainly in the mulch and organic matter on the surface. During the wet season this regularly goes soggy, but it drains fast and aerates quickly. And rain water is highly oxygenated and not anaerobic. By "high humidity' I mean high air humidity.

• rosieroo
    9 years ago

dbarron, your comments never fail to make me chuckle.

dohadizzy, I hope you got your pothos cutting sorted out. Like dellis said, a loose, airy mix is best. If you're interested, the member tapla (Al) has previously posted about 5:1:1 mixes - you can probably find the recipe if you type that into the search bar.

Here is a link that might be useful: A post discussing 5:1:1

• dohadizzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think its me u shd feel sorry! Lol or more accurately my husband who think I have become half mad since we moved to the Middle East! I couldn't find a clear plastic bag large enough to cover these giant leaves :( so will have to go to super market this morning to hunt one down... hopefully a semi opaque garbage might be sources and and work?
    As of now I had planted it before I read tropics comments about letting it dry out slightly
    So I am hoping going it still works...
    I did mix a soil composition which I had made for anthuriums...(loads of pearlite) into this soil...hoping it works. Shd u add fertiliser now or wait for it to even grow Lol?
    I did finally hubty did. Stakes that are about and just over 2 metres tall so if these roots ever take they will have somewhere high to climb...indoors...and I also managed to find a semi dead (the whole trunk is very green but no leaves) dracaena again about 2 metres which I begged the nursery to sell to me as well which I use as the pathos climber...
    Oh and if all else fails....I have actually found this same nursery to sell large large leaved pathos and these plants were about 3 metres high (to get larger leaves)! I was amazed! So as a backup this will be my... 'i tried so hard but it failed' present... I hope it works though! Its my pet from sri Lanka!
    I used a small pot...how long usually before I can see tiny buds? Just so I know. Thks!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well rosieroo, being an aspiring writer (as well as photographer, gardener, web designer), I am sensitive to word usage...and love a good story..and to make my readers laugh.

To OP, in my experience, oh four to six weeks and you may see some headway on new growth starting.