Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mice eating my houseplants?

Posted by lgsmith 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 14:41

I just began caring for houseplants this past year, so I am new at all this. For over two weeks now something has been chewing the leaves off my houseplants and also digging holes in the soil. I assumed it to be mice but many mousetraps have gone untouched. I have found droppings that look like mice droppings in the rooms that contain plants. It's getting very frustrating to find 5-10 leaves on my floor every morning. Does anyone have any ideas or help for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mice eating my houseplants?

It's time for some major exterminating. I'm not sure that this is a houseplant problem, but a mouse problem! Change your mousetraps, provide a different kind of bait, try several different kinds of traps, or call an exterminator. A large population of indoor mice can be a health hazard for several reasons. Good luck!

o

I saw the first mouse on Sun..and yes, they've dug in my plants, made holes, and chewed leaves, too..As much as I hate using poisons, I ended up buying D-Con/D-Kon ..it really helps..I set it in rooms where my birds can't get it. I don't like using traps cause I dont want to remove their corpses. Yuck. Soon, more mice will come in and I'll have my hands full. I also buy sticky traps and place behind the stove, etc..it works..Toni

o

wow, this too has just started with us too! I can't beleive this is happening to others! we put down traps with the favorite Peanutbutter. Not one trap was touched! they just dig the dirt out of my plants. Why do they do this? others can't beleive that the peanutbutter was not touched.nOw we bought a few of the ultra sonic rodent things. they DO work! it chases them out of the house!

o

We too have tried the favorite PB to no avail. We've tried traditional mouse traps and the sticky glue kind. Nothing! Thanks for the suggestion of the ultra sonic rodent things. We'll try that out.

o

Get a cat! I only find dead mice around here. Good luck!

o

Don't spend a lot of money on those untra-sonic things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something to think about

o

I considered buying one, but am worried the sound will bother my birds and dog. I don't want anything to harm them. I mean, how do they know this sound will not trouble pets other than rodents? Toni

o

Well, buying a cat will help with the mice, but the cat will eat the plants too!!!

o

I have very sensitive hearing and I have heard those ultra-sonic devices. Was a ticking sound and very annoying.
I would bet they would definately affect your dog.

o

Hi,

lol Getting a cat is not always the answer. I have two cats and they wouldn't know what to do with a mouse. lol

o

I hate the thought of using any type of poisonous bait where there are pets in the home. Rodenticide baits are very attractive to other animals. It is soooo easy to leave a door open accidentally and to all of a sudden find your pet in the same room with the bait!

Though it is difficult to find all of the places where mice can gain access to the home, I think that people do miss some of the obvious entries. Check those areas under or around the home where pipes enter the home. Crawl spaces may need to be looked at, too.

I lived in a home where I had to deal with some mice one winter. I used a couple of snap traps baited with gummy worms wound around the 'trigger'. They had to work at it a little bit to get to it all, ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: A pretty good FACT SHEET

o

Wow, I just posted the same problem this morning. I didn't see this post! I haven't seen any leaf biting or droppings though. That's what puzzles me.

o

I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I thought it was a mouse/rat, however, I haven't found any droppings or holes eaten through my furniture, or whatever. I have tried traditional mouse traps, and the sticky boards and NOTHING! He digs holes in my house plants only - doesn't get into the loose food on the counters in my kitchen (bread, chips, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas?

o

• Posted by ara133 central PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 19:13

I recommend the Live Traps (like these - http://www.abundantearth.com/store/mousetrap1.html). They work REALLY WELL, in my experience. We used to have mice and voles occasionally, growing up, and we put these traps out with a little piece of bread/cracker with peanut butter on it, and the next day the little critters were inside the trap! Then you just let them go somewhere far away :) Much safer than poisons. For the plants, you can always spray a mixture of hot peppers & water (I steep about 5 habaneros in a qt or so of hot water, for a few days, for outdoor plants); should stop any rodents!

o

There's a live trap called the 'Tin Cat' that works pretty well. I purchased one at a garden supply/feed store several years ago. You put bait in it, the mice go in and you just take the trap outside away from your house and lift the lid to let them go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tin Cat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here