Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID x 2

Posted by afbq 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 15:05

I bought these two at home depot but the tag was most useless with info. I love them, but I'd like to know what kind they are. Anyone know? Thanks!!

Photo on 9-22-12 at 2.58 PM

Photo on 9-22-12 at 3.00 PM #2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID x 2

The second is Tradescantia zebrina. The first is hard to see, but maybe Callisia repens.

o

I believe the first may be called Tahitian Bridal Veil, I don't know its botanical name, but I believe they are related & take similar care. Maybe bright indirect light & fair amount of humidity. I think the 2nd ID is correct (hi Purple).

o

I agree with purple, I can't see the first one very well. That being said, I can't see if the leaves are more succulent than thin like a "normal" houseplant, but from what I can see, it kind of looks like Ficus pumila "Creeping Ficus" to me.

Planto

o

I'll post a better picture of the first one. I googled the two suggested and they are not it. Keep a look out for mine tomorrow--- thankssss! :)

o

Afbq...Pirate Girl is right...the firt plant looks like Tahitian Bridal Veil/Gibasis Geniculata.

Here's a pic of mine..Leaves are deep purple in full sun, green when days are shorter. Little, white flowers make an appearance throughout summer and autumn.

Tahitian Bridal Veil

Tahitian Bridal Veil

Toni

o

Could be. The Gibasis would have a flatter, thinner leaf, with more distance between nodes. The Callisia has more of a chunky, fatter, juicy leaf.

Toni, your plant looks fantastic!

o

Purple, thank you.

o

Hey, all! The first picture to me looks like what is commonly called a Bolivian Jew (Callisia Repens).

o

BINGO-- for the win, NicoleBlue!! I googled other pics, and that's exactly what i have. I have no idea why HD just does not ID the plants the sell. Right?? Thanks everyone for helping me. Much appreciated.

o

I totally missed Purple's first reply, I'm so sorry! Yes, that's it. I don't know why I saw it. I focused on the Tradescantia zebrine and I guess I did not see the rest. Thanks again!

o

Afbq, you're welcome. But... happened on this today and remembered your plant... just wanted you to see it since you've got the actual plant to look at, just in case you might think your plant looks more like this. Hard to gauge the size of the leaves in this EA pic w/o knowing what size that pot is.

o

Thanks for the link! I love learning about my new plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here