Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wandering roots

Posted by ken2256 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:15

Looknig for a plant i can put in a net pot that will send out lots of roots in the net pot..any ideas or suggestions,,it will be grown semi-hydro . thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wandering roots

Most plants will grow roots that will grow out of the net pot if grown in the right conditions.

Climbing vines work good in semi-hydro. What types of plant are you interested in?

o

Hello dellis, just about any really, I am enjoying converting from soil to hydroton,with pretty good success, and of course some not so good.I do have a philodendron, thats as close to a vine i have,I do have a peace lily, but its in soil yet, but i have been told they do well in water.one that i looked at today was a water lily, they have a crazy root system, i will try those. thanks

o

Peace Lilies do very well growing is S-H. I have about a square foot of them growing in hydroton.

I also have several types of philodendron, an Anthurium plowmanii, an Anthurium pallidiflorum, an Aglaonema, A pineapple, a schefflera and a couple of orchids all growing semi-hydro in either hydroton or sphagnum.

I don't know if a water lily would work because they need the water they grow in to support the plant. Most aquatic plants really don't adapt well to growing out of or above the water surface. Many of the plants sold as "amazon swords" can grow emersed and may be able to adapt to S_H. Possibly they are really bog plants. I've tried Java fern, they wouldn't adapt.

o

hi dellis, i will try the Anthuriums and Aglaonemas As far as the water lilys ,i meant to say i will keep them immersed in containers...I just converted a african violet over to hydroton, I,ll see how that gos. I like the idea of the amazon swords as well.

o

Orchids

o

hey paul, any certain type of orchid or just about any. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here