Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Bringing in houseplants

Here in Iowa the first frost is during the first week of October or the second week. I have started to bring in some cactus, boston fern and cuttings of plants. Some of the other plants such as Christmas cactus and thanksgiving cactus are going to stay out side as long as possible to produce buds. Have you started to bring any plants yet?

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

No, not yet. Used to bring things in much earlier. Hard to bring things in when it is still in the mid 80's. First frost here is usually in early to mid November, but most of my subtropicals (date palms, oleander, citrus, etc.) can handle a light frost. If I take them in too earlier when it is still warm, I have to worry about keeping them watered enough. If I miss a watering, they will die due to underwatering as opposed to cold. Some of my tropicals can stay out till early December (Queen palms, Date palms, Cycads).

• marquest
    10 years ago

Mine are still out and will probably be out for another week or two. If our weather continue to stay above freezing I will not bring them inside.

I like a little cold to kill the bugs before I bring them inside.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Just now getting some of them in. This batch didn't put a dent in what's still outside...I'm in trouble!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

OK, who else is giggling about the Lucky Charms pants? A hilarious pun, that I hope is true! It looks like your guardian angel is hovering just out of frame at the top. Is that a skylight or halide lamp? Really bright!

Oh man, we're still waiting for it to cool off, but 'possible' frost is right around the corner. Who knows when actual frost will happen. You're all right though, time to put the furniture in winter positions, to be ready for panic night.

Grant, what a great window!

• pumpkineater2
    10 years ago

It's just now getting cool enough to put plants out for me. But they cant stay out for long because before I know it, I will have frost here too.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Grant, just thought I'd mention...Cacti and succulents can take really cold temps..
    My succulents and a few tropicals are last to come in.

I sprayed with home-made insecticide last week. Then, three days of rain..Hope the rain didn't wash off insecticide.

Before bringing any plants inside, all are going to get a dose of vinegar. Reason, less ants to deal with.

Purp, you're funny! Lucky Charm pants..lol.

Asleep, your Monstera is BEAUTIFUL! Is it variegated or the lighting? Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hatin' on my jammies Purp?
    For shame! ;)

The guardian angel is the ceiling light fixture with the four foot tubes just inches above. Panic night can wait...I've started the migration before things are even weirder out there.

Toni,...Easy mistake on the "monstera" that was actually a philo bip...Especially easy when one sees what they'd think was variegation,but nope,it's not a variegate either...just a yellowing spent old leaf all washed out in fluorescent light. I took the liberty of cutting it off after I took that pic.

Here's another angle of my "guardian angel" ...which IS a godsend all things considered.

• MrBlubs
    10 years ago

I had to bring my plants in the end of september.....
    Its already snowed here once or twice.....