Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
schefflera arboricola repotting

Posted by Ashleyrenataylor none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 15:20

I recieved a achefflera arboricola recently it stands around 12-13 inches tall and is in a 1 gallon pot. What are a few signs that would help me know when to repot? I don't want to take out of garden container until i know for sure when I need to replant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: schefflera arboricola repotting

One clue 'might ' be that several roots are trying to escape from the bottom drainage holes. I say 'might ' because it's not a sure thing by any means.

The best way is to simply slip the plant gently out of the container so that the root ball can be examined. Contrary to what some people seem to think, taking a plant from its container for minute does no harm whatsoever to the plant. I inspect plant roots before purchasing if I have any question or concerns. Always for any woody nursery plant.

A root bound plant will have a mass of encircling roots or the root volume will greatly exceed the soil volume.

o

Hi Ashley,

Aside from Rhizo's great advice, I have a question for you.

I see the black, plastic container is sitting inside a ceramic?pot.

Is the plastic container sitting directly inside the outer pot?
If so, when you water, it will accumulate and can cause root rot.

I find adding a couple pieces of sheet styrofoam works.
Of course, once the plastic pot is propped-up, it will stick out of the outer container. :)

BTW, very nice Scheff.. Toni

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Beautiful plant and pot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here