Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Keeping Purple Fountain Grass in a Container

kwie2011
9 years ago

I bought a gallon pot of Purple Fountain Grass (Pennisetum setaceum rubrum) last week for my cat to graze on my balcony. He loves it, and I have also fallen for it. I'd like to know how to keep this grass in a container all year.

I have a southern exposure for my balcony and living room window, and I'm perfectly happy bringing it in when it gets too cold, but I don't have a clue about pot size, soil type, water needs, fertilizer, etc. for a GRASS.

Thanks for any help.

Comment (1)

• User
    9 years ago

I'm wondering about the container size too. If this plant is basically the property of your cat, I would not want the container to have too much exposed potting mix which the cat begins to use as an alternate litter box. If so, then large pebbles over the exposed surface would be called for.

If your plant goes from a south facing balcony a few feet inside the window also facing south, little change of its environment, unless there is a heating vent blowing on it.

I've never kept one indoors in a container, but grasses are pretty hardy plants and even look good planted in a bird bath to simulate a water feature....which requires regular watering. However, mine planted that way died, so I'm no help telling you how to keep one alive!