Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unexpected hyacinth growth cycle?

Posted by newbienew (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 16:18

My hyacinths bloomed last March. Afterwards, I put them in a northern-window room away from the window. I'd water them perhaps once ever week to two weeks.

Two weeks ago, tiny bright green sprouts began sticking up out of the bulb. They get bigger almost every day.

Two questions-

Is this normal? I thought this wouldn't happen until next year.

And how long until the hyacinth "acorn" appears?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unexpected hyacinth growth cycle?

Since no one has answered, I'll take a shot. Hyacinths should be treated as if it were growing outside in the ground. It needs cold temps to stay dormant. If you are not keeping it cold, it will start growth but I don't think you'll get flowers.

What zone are you in? If you live in a warm zone you need to put the bulbs in the fridge or a cold garage or cellar without light. If you are in a zone with cold winters, you should do the same except you might be able to leave the pot outside buried on the North side of your house until Spring.

Bottom line - cold and dark until Spring.

Jane

o

Thanks for posting!

I'm a 5b.

Should I stop watering them and keep them out of the light?

o

You need to get through a cold period. Can you put the pots in a garage? I've done that for many years. I covered the tops of the pots with thick newspaper or wood boards to block light. My garage has a lot of windows.

In your zone, you do not want the pots outdoors, but the unheated garage should work. Leave them for 6 weeks and then move them into the house.

There's a lot of info on the internet about 'forcing bulbs.'

Jane

o

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here