Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmoores1

Multi plant mess

Cmoores1
9 years ago

Inherited this from my nana. She has done nothing to it since receiving it as a sympathy plant for her husband's passing, 2010.
It is overgrown, and crazy. I trimmed some root bound roots, and repotted it. But would like to keep it together for now, and tame it slightly.
Any ideas?

Comments (16)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I think it looks wonderful, but understand if you don't. Dieffenbachia, Schefflera, Pothos, Dracaena marginata. What about the appearance did you want to change?

Your pic was sideways on my computer.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pic correction.
    I do find it beautiful.
    I am just wondering about those front green (speckled) leaves. Some have smaller stem/trunks and are starting to fall over /droop.
    Should i just leave it, or cut some of those back? And what do you think?

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Easiest cure is that you can chop some of the Dieffenbachia (spotty leaf) stems back and they should probably re-sprout, but be careful as the sap is an irritant, especially if you get it in your mouth.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks

9 years ago

That was my thought too, to trim the pieces of Dieffenbachia that are leaning, but wanted to hear what about the appearance that you didn't like before putting ideas out there.

Going forward, if you rotate the pot halfway every week or two, that should keep everything as upright as possible. When grouped together, there can be a bit more leaning than if plants were alone, as each finds a space to occupy. I do this in most of my pots, multiple plants, but not everyone is a fan of it.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I always rotate all my plants anyways, so I definitely will be doing that. I'm sure that she never did, so maybe that was the problem.

I will post some post op pics!

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After
    Everything is definitely reaching for one side, so I don't think she ever turned it.

Can I plant these Cuttings? What's the best way?

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other angle, I also cut down my angled umbrella tree. I have since put away the shears so I don't go(anymore) cut crazy. I am going to try and root my umbrella tree Cuttings. Let's see!

9 years ago

Looks great! Yes, all of these plants can be propagated from cuttings. The only thing more fun than having plants, is making more of them!

• User
    9 years ago

Just dropping in to comment about dieffenbachia and its sap. I had some which were ceiling height, many flopped over and then began growing upwards with a crook in the stems. Trimming yours back is a good option after you restore some potting mix to the container. I'm sure the original mix is totally exhausted.

Dieffenbachia is also known as "dumb cane" and it is very hazardous if someone gets it on their lips or in their mouth. Years ago, I took some cuttings to work and had them in a vase on my desk, to give to fellow workers. Well, someone came up thinking it was sugar cane--those stalks were indeed that large around--and before I could stop them, had it in hand sucking on the cut end.

Oh dear, I'm so glad there was a nurse available at the company infirmary, because her throat immediately swelled up and she had difficulty breathing. I forget how long it took for the swelling to go down, but it is advisable to keep it away from small children and pets. And people who might think it is sugar cane!

Dieffenbachia roots quickly from any of the joints in the cane. It will root in a vase of water or wet spanish moss too.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Sideways images "say" that the image came from an Apple product.

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

• Cmoores1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, no Samsung

9 years ago

Oh brother, that's too many phones doing that. LOL!

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

I was going to say it'll grow better the right way up, but thought it was too easy a gag!

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry