Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider plant

Posted by baileysup 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 11 at 16:25

if i don't want any babies, where should i cut the stalks off at? thanks Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider plant

You can trim off the stalk at the base of the plant.

o

Are you asking how to stop the plant from forming new babies? Or just the best way to remove those that are there (in which case I agree with mek.'s advice)?

o

just cutting the ones it has off, but could i stop it fro having babies if i wanted to? i really dont want to stop it right now, but you never know in the future. thanks

o

The plant will continue to send up the stolons to make the babies as long as the plant is healthy. If you don't want to deal with the babies, you can cut off these stolons as soon as you notice them.

o

yea, i figured that since i don't need the babies right now, it would help the plant concentrate all it's energy to foliage and the root system. this should make the leaves grow faster i believe. thanks guys

o

Baily, you might be right about energy focusing on shoots instead of foliage, but if it's fact, I would think very little energy is used on shoots.

As long as a plant is healthy, given proper nutrients and light, it should balance out.

There's nothing prettier than a Spider with side shoots. Whether it's green or variegated. Especially when hanging in a non-cluttered area, with room to spare.

Of course, looks are a matter of opinion. Toni

o

oops. i'll let them grow back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here