Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cthomas18_gw

Help with my Rubber Tree plant!

cthomas18
9 years ago

I have read several forums posted about Rubber Trees and have been experimenting with several suggestions throughout the summer. At my grandaddy's funeral last April I was given a rubber tree. I placed it in my kitchen where it got bright early morning light and filtered light throughout the rest of the day for an entire year. This May (after a year), we moved. All of the lower leaves fell off the plant. I immediately and ignorantly did not educate myself on the possible issue and just went out and repotted the plant. The few leaves that were left began to turn yellowish and fall off. That's when I started reading everything I could and learned about letting the plant sit in water, terrible soils (which is what I had used) that retain water, filtered light and so on. I repotted it again and did notice some of the roots were rotted and fell off when I began pulling away the soil. I pulled off most of what I could and put it in a cactus soil that is supposed to drain better. I moved the plant so it could get more light. The plant overall does not look healthy still and now the leaves are beginning to droop. I've been considering changing the soil again to something that drains even more because I am still afraid it is sitting in water. I only water it maybe once a month but the soil still feels damp. Here is a picture. Any ideas on what the problem is or what I should try??

Comments (3)