Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Charlie-511 mix

tifflj
11 years ago

i saw cactus, palm and citrus soil...is this the same as u mentioned before.

Comments (5)

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Hi Kiddo..

That's the one I use.. Read through the thread though.
    Familiarize yourself with all your options.. I cant link to it with my bad computer skills, but search 5-1-1 and you should get it, and I'm sure Al will be around when he sees the post..

Looks like you've been adopted here Tiff!
    Told ya they were cool! Keep in touch..

Charlie

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. I will check it out. I have to admit I am scared. I know this is something I have to do ASAP but I dont feel I know enough and you and Al are making me feel like I shouldnt do this until I know what I am doing more. I dont want to put the plants in anymore jeporady.

My plan was to change the soil this weekend and the pots since everyone seems to hate these pots. I am going to switch out to one like my Scheff is in. Has a saucer at the bottom, with ventilation and a spout on the saucer so I can see the water and dump it.

Everyone here is awesome and I cant say how grateful I am that I found you and you led me here to all these nice ppl. Hope everyone doesnt get sick of seeing my posts, I have alot of questions as I am just a beginner and I have alot to learn. I also have a 20 month old and a 4.5 month old. I dont talk to alot of grown ups during the day. SO I carry my phone like a teenage girl waiting to hear from THAT boy...when I am waiting to hear responses from all you here. :)

Embarassing.

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff!
    I remember those days of having a newborn and one heading into the terrible two's! Now they're 30, 28, and 24, and although on their own, I still worry about them..

It's not that I dont want you to switch over, only that I'd like you to know the reason for doing it..so like i said in another thread, take it in small bites.. one step at a time.

I just took another look at the pot that Elly is in. If it were me, I'd take the bottom off and be done with it. I'm not sure from the pic, but it looks to be a 'self-watering'
    pot, and I've had zero luck with them.. I'm using unglazed clay for the most part..(the standard orange clay pot) I use foil pie plates.. plastic covers from Maxwell House coffee cans, whatever I can to catch drips. I put a plant into the sink, water it and leave it there for 10-15 minutes, then hold over the sink at a 45* angle to get rid of any extra water. This will be common-place for you shortly, once you put things in practice.

As for making up the 5-1-1..
    5 parts Repti-bark
    1 part rinsed Perlite
    1 part Cactus Mix
    I lightly misted the bark when I made my second batch..

I put everything in a covered Tupper-ware and shake it up for good distribution..

If you are going to do a 'Bare-rooting' of the palm, remember that you have a miniature forest underneath it, and are removing All the soil from your plant.. so you'll have the 5? main stems, and lots of left-overs!
    When Purp see this, hopefully, she'll have some ideas..

Nothing is Too Embarassing to ask! We all start where you are right now.. wondering.

Tell ya what.. since you're doing this on the weekend, if you find yourself freaking out, click 'My Page' next to my name and send me an Email beforehand. I'll get back to you with my number and walk you through the process should you call.. Make sure the hubby knows about it, and is cool with it. I haven't been 'That' boy for a couple of decades now, so you may want to let him know I'm that 'Cool Old Dude' from GW! :-)

Until everything is in the new medium, dont sweat anything too much kiddo.. everybody here is on your side.. One thing you May want to do is get a notebook.. I did.. Someone is gonna post something that you'll want to remember.. I always jot down a couple of notes when I read here..

I keep a list of all my plants (a growing list) and the days that I water them.. with the 5-1-1 it seems to be every 3 or 4 days..

Keep your head up kid..
    You've taken in a lot this week..

Charlie

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got my supplies today. Got my notebooks. Ready to get my hands dirty.

They are 8 qt bags but boy it doesnt look like enough for the 6 plants I have. I trust you though.

I assume I just get a big container and do 5 scoops bark, 1 scoop perlite and 1 scoop soil? Seems like aot of bark and little soil. But again I trust you. ;)

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff!

Get ready to have some fun with it!
    Is the Bag of Bark 10 qts. hopefully?
    Yeah, it's alot of bark and a little soil..thats the good part,as the water flows right through and the roots take what they need. For the next few days, it's a 'damp sponge' environment for the plant. It stays happy..

Yep.. 5 bark.. 1 perlite.. 1 soil..
    Rinse off the perlite in a colander..it raises quite a cloud. Again, as I'm working I mist the bark because it starts so dry..
    Make enough to do one plant at a time. Spread out some newspapers and go to town.

Oh.. as long as I'm here. When it comes to plants....

"Don't worry...bout a thing...
    Every little thing.... Gonna be alright..."