Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beatlesfan_gw

fun question

beatlesfan
9 years ago

Hi there! Brand new to the forum. Fairly new to houseplants--I've grown obsessed over the past year or two & amassed a small collection.

I was looking around at my plants today and thinking about if I had to downsize a LOT, for example if we moved to a much smaller house, what I would keep. Which made me think of this fun hypothetical question:

If you had to get rid of ALL your house plants except one single plant, which one would you keep? Bonus points for photos!

Comments (18)

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally decided that I'd keep my jade plant. It is my oldest plant and the first one in my collection, and it has survived any manner of abuse (including when I left for college and left it in my bedroom and forgot to tell my mom, so it went untended for months). Tough call, though!

• Rachelle22
    9 years ago

I would keep my Spider Plant. She will continue to have babies and eventually I could fill my house with plants again. :-)

• Rachelle22
    9 years ago

I would keep my Spider Plant. She will continue to have babies and eventually I could fill my house with plants again. :-)

{{!gwi}}

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, excellent choice, and I love the reasoning! My Jade plant that I would keep would also be able to propagate, hehe! Your spider looks extremely happy and healthy! I'm growing one right now but it hasn't put out any plantlets yet.

• Rachelle22
    9 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I was going to say spider plant also, and for the same reason!

So instead, I'll go with my neon pothos. It is so healthy and easy to care for...its leaves are always pointing straight up, like it is smiling :-)

I think I have to re-pot into a slightly bigger container. It has grown very quickly.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Pretty sure I know which one if I had to choose.

Have to take a new pic though.
    I'll get around to it at some point today. :)

• User
    9 years ago

I would rather sell my soul to the Devil himself and keep the jungle! LOL.

But, if push came to shove I would keep my seed grown date palms.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

NJ,..you wouldn't have a shot of the whole palm would you? I've got some seedlings myself and it would be neat to get a preview of what's to come(provided I don't kill them).
    Also,would you happen to know what kind of dates yours came from? Mine were medjool(boy were they yummy...like caramel !).

Forgive the quality of the pic. I took it from inside using the zoom function in my phone. Was too lazy to go out back to get a better angle. Hopefully it'll do.

Oh and yeah... the philo bip is the one I'm referring to.

I've had it since late '05 and after dragging it all over creation with me everywhere I bounced to next,it really makes the top ten list. Got another one of similar size. If I potted them together would I be able to keep them both? ;)

They are clones so technically it's the same exact plant,right? lol

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

asleep, I'll allow it since they're clones! Does that mean I get to keep all my jade plant babies that I've already propagated? Hehe.

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of the jade plant I'd keep. It isn't looking too great today. I had ankle surgery last week and my well-meaning husband has been taking care of them. It's also extremely hot in my house today (85 degrees in here, no a/c, yuck!) so I'm not sure if the leaf droop is overwatering thanks to the hubs, or caused by the unusual heat. She's usually much perkier! I'll have to do some troubleshooting once I'm back on my feet.

Either way, it's not the prettiest Jade ever, but I have more sentimental attachment to this one than I do any of my other plants. I love it!

• User
    9 years ago

Asleep, the one in the shot above is Phoenix Roebellini, but most of my seed grown ones are canariensis. For whatever reason, I have had much better luck with that species and others (over dactylifera/true date). Canary is very easy from seed! I have a Medjool date palm, but seems to be less robust compared to Canary Island. Also, my climate is quite humid, which Canary takes quite well while more desert growing species have a tendency to show their resentment of humidity with leaf spotting issues.

I hope you have enough space in Minnesota, they are MASSIVE palms...esp. Canary! As a 'houseplant', Roebellini is a vastly better choice.
    You have to realize, my Canary palms never come into the house...too big, and too sharp. (From Mid-December to March they all get hauled into a big, sunny, detached, two story garage.)

Will try to get a shot later.

• elkay_gw
    9 years ago

That's tough. I would really like to keep my Philo bipinn since I've had it so long......

{{gwi:103448}}

But I would probably have to go with my old faithful dracaenas....

{{gwi:83507}}

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

elkay, in the top photo, do I spy an Australian Shepherd in the corner of the photo? I have one, and that looks familiar! Your Philo is so gorgeous!

• elkay_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, that's Sky, he's an Australian Shepherd/Husky mix. He has a blue merle kind of coat. If you look in the Sept flowers post, he's on the deck next to one of my brugs.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thanks NJ,
    ...can't say I have enough space here to be growing palm trees,but that's never stopped me before...kindofa cross that bridge when I get there kinda thing,yaknow?

Probably a good thing my coconut experiment failed. ;)

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

IIf I had to move I would make sure there would be no window so small that it would allow for only one plant.

• beatlesfan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nomen_nudum, I'm sure we'd all do the same ;)

But in this odd hypothetical scenario, you can take only one! Which would you choose?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus