Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neanthe bella / dwarf palm problem

Posted by brain_mn (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 17:32

All of the new growth on my dwarf palm becomes dry and brittle very shortly after emerging. Existing foliage is fine. I'm not really sure what to do. I've tried misting it regularly, but that hasn't had a noticeable effect; I thought it might be in the path of air circulation, so I moved it, but that hasn't helped either.

It is currently in a bright room, but doesn't receive any direct sunlight; interior temperature is between 70 and 73 F.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neanthe bella / dwarf palm problem

any chance of pictures

Here's how to post them
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

o

http://picasaweb.google.com/104256472784573719854/AllUpOns#5653072871484445234

Unfortunately, I just cut off all the dry stuff before posting the original question. One leaf is starting to show the same symptoms, not sure if it shows real well in the photo. I put a red box around it.

The leaves stay green, but get dry and brittle.

o

Hi Brain.

As far as care, you're doing everything correctly.

Besides brittle foliage, are any leaves pale or discoloring?

The problem that comes to mind is Spider Mites.

Since you're misting, add 2-3 drops of dish soap in your spray bottle. Spray thoroughly. On top, undersides and between leaves.

First, spray leaves in the sink or shower. After leaves dry, spray via your mister w/soap.

Follow these directions, 'below' before wetting leaves.

To inspect for mites, first, look for fine webbing.

The second thing to do is, place a white sheet of paper under leaves. Gently, tap leaves over paper. Continue tapping in several sections of your palm.

If your palm has mites, you'll see little, colored dots on the paper. Depending on your eye-sight, you may need to use a magnifying glass. They're very, very tiny. Smaller than the tip of a newly, sharpened pencil.

Soapy water kills Mites. You'll need to spray 2-3 times before Mites die.
Please let me know what you find. Toni

PS. Palms require air-circulation and humidity. Neanthe's don't need as much humidity as other Palms, but fresh air is a must.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here