Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

October flowers Go here :)

teengardener1888
9 years ago

I am continuing the gardenweb tradition of posting flowers and i welcome all to post them for the month of october, and everyone will admire them, im hoping a thanksgiving cacwill make it here before the month ends, mines are already budding!, other than them, i have no real flowers to really brag about.

Comments (49)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Not technically a flower, but here's the bloom on one of the Crown of Thorns I pruned earlier this season....

Josh

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a lovely shade for a crown of thorns! greenman ur plant collection always enthuses me!

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Echeveria Dusty Rose :)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

And here's a flower bud on my Echeveria Coral Reef Aqua (atleast that's what the tag says but we ALL know how good that is lol) does this count? If not :( so sorry for posting it

• loveofbostons
    9 years ago

Got a bunch on my tradescantia zebrina. Getting spikes on some of my phals.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I only have bedding plants I brought inside and u are more than welcome for going off subject, this is very casual chatter:)

P.S, im sorry for the terrible photo of a double geranium, this is my computer camera which is obviously terrible!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

My AV has bloomed a lot this year.

Forgive the dead stuff...one of these days I'm gonna clean that out of there...promise! :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Callisia cordifolia is blooming. The Easter cactus it's growing with has a bud too.

9 years ago

Sedeveria 'Sorrento.'

9 years ago

This cool Begonia a neighbor gave me a few years ago has finally decided to make a bloom.

9 years ago

This pic's a 2-fer. An Aloe bloom with Peperomia verticillata (the green string things are its' blooms.)

9 years ago

I'm pretty sure the red nub in the middle of this Philodendron 'Black Cardinal' is a bud... I know the actual flower won't be as exciting as the thought of it, but excited I am. The new leaves look almost identical as they form, but only 1 new leaf is formed at a time. There is a new leaf forming, and this shorter, fatter nub. Try to ignore the debris, this plant sits under trees.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is that Begonia evansiana?

9 years ago

This sprouted up from seeds that dropped last year, Portulaca umbraticola (usually sold as 'ornamental purslane.')

Edited to add:
    TG, I don't think that's my Begonia. Sorry my pic's not clearer but the leaves are very smooth, on the surface and on the edges. I don't think it's terribly unusual but IDK what it is besides "some kind of cane-type Beg."

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 9:21

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Wow Purp...

Beginning to think a FAKE plant would bloom around you!

You always impress me with how well just about any plant performs in your care.

If that phil is blooming,I hope you get more pics of it as it develops. That would be way cool!

9 years ago

Asleep, LOL, TY. Nice to hear when bumming about my Plumeria that looks like it will make me wait at least another year for some flowers. I wasn't supposed to be anxious about it this year, but... I am.

Of course, if that Philo blooms, there will b pics shared! Got it last year around this time and it was a tough decision. The store had 3 of them, 1 had an open bloom, one had a bud about to pop, but the one I picked had 3 larger individuals in the pot, vs. 1 and 2 plants in the blooming pots. So we can know the one I got was almost surely capable of blooming a year ago, but I wanted a bloom to happen 'on my watch,' and didn't want pics of a bloom that I just carried home the day before.

Forgot to list those that are *still* blooming that people are probably sick of seeing almost every month...
    - wax Begonias
    - Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'
    - Gibasis geniculata (Tahitian bridal veil)
    - Tradescantia sillamontana just showed a few days ago in Sept flowers discussion.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Hoya pubicalyx

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Lipstick Plant...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Bromeliad ?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Not too flowers this time of year...Adenium

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

A lot more blooms in Spring taken in April...

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am loving the flowers im seeing so far, my fav has been the desert rose!!!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Nancy, your blooms are excellent!
    Heck, my Desert Rose hasn't made a single bloom this year....I guess those *two* flowers last year must have exhausted it ;-)

Teen, thanks for the nice words.

Josh

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didnt realize october was so flowery!! Your collections are all gorgeous, they put my relatively nondescript collection to shame. And i will second asleep comments on Tiffanys collection.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Everyone's pictures are amazing!! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Josh and Teen...appreciate it!!

Josh,lol...you made me laugh :o)...maybe its saving all its energy for next year's blooms!!

9 years ago

I'm ambivalent about Adenium... until I see a pic like that! Wow!

I've had a blast doing this monthly flower thing this past year! It's also great evidence that most of the plants folks buy only for the flowers aren't even the beginning of the 'blooming houseplant' story! And that one person's weed is another person's houseplant. Location, location, location...

But why? Why aren't some of these ready-bloomers sold as such? Why don't Kalanchoes get the same treatment as 'holiday bloomers?' Too awkward to take a plant with a 2-3 foot tall flower stalk home? Just because they're not red? Who wouldn't prefer the ease of these over the stereotypical struggling Gardenia or Jasmine, or Poinsettia that you know will never look that good again? (And never understood the Norfolk pine thing.)

Kudos to all of the blooms, including the tiny, smelly, weird, "insignificant," and usually overlooked blooms! Is it too early to declare a winner? I don't think so, far as I can tell, we started last November? It won't let me make them clickable, but I pasted the URL to every months' discussion in my profile. My vote would be for wax Begonia. When I get bored enough, I'll compile each months' blooms into a spreadsheet to examine the facts... unless somebody else does it first.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im posting just to attempt to keep the post alive longer. If no one else has any more pics to post, I guess I can post some nondescript flowers of mine, But I think people still have some beauties who havent seen the discussion yet....

9 years ago

Well, I was waiting for this Easter cactus flower to open all the way before taking its' pic, but we had a hellacious storm 2 nights ago and it got all beat-up. I think this is the best it will be able to do now. Two more buds to the left.

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I almost missed seeing it at all! (I know it's not much to look at I'm just glad to see it ACTUALLY FLOWERED for me :)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Another :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Here is one...

Sally Moragne Plumeria

Laura

9 years ago

Penang Peach

Laura

9 years ago

Katherine's Desire

Named after my daughter. ;-)

Laura

9 years ago

JL Metallica

Laura

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

What is your first plant, lilibit. the variegated one, please? 'hellacious', purple, I love it! May I share your dictionary?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I'm SOO sorry marguerite. I can't seem to remember. It's on the tip of my tounge. I seem to have lost the tag also. If I remember correctly it was a short but sweet name lol. I will have to research it and get back to you on that one. :)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Almost forgot!! As ALWAYS Laura, your plants are GORGEOUS!!! ðÂÂÂ

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Excellent blooms everyone. Laura your photos are incredible,I'm green with envy. My begonia has finally bloomed, I've waited 2 years for her to flower. My AF blooms most of the year.
    Christine

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura your plumerias always make me feel like a green envy zinnia!!!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Don't worry, lilibit. If it comes back to you it will be nice to know.

9 years ago

I love all of the blooms pictured!!!

Gorgeous in " October". ;-)

Thank you Lilbit!! I Leah's enjoy your as well...

Christine!! Thank you as well.. You have some beauties too!!! ;-)

Teen.. Thank you so much!! Greatly appreciated !!!

Wanted to share my Barbados Cherry Bonsai with my first cherry!!!

Have a wonderful night!!!

Laura

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Here's another of Crassula marnieriana AKA "Hottentot"

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MMMMMM! Tasty looking Barbados Cherry!

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

I posted these photo already in Cacti and Succulent forum, but not everyone visits that forum as well (hopefully) and these are my October flowers.
    This was a lovely surprise
    {{gwi:103529}}
    "The Bloom Fest"
    {{gwi:103530}}
    {{gwi:103531}}
    {{gwi:103532}}
    {{gwi:103533}}
    {{gwi:103534}}
    {{gwi:103536}}
    {{gwi:103538}}
    {{gwi:103540}}
    {{gwi:103542}}
    {{gwi:103543}}
    {{gwi:103544}}

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Lovely pics everyone!

Lii-sama,those are all in bloom at the same time? Good heavens,you must get a rush of joy everytime you look at them. Really nice! :)

• lii_sama 6
    9 years ago

asleep_in_the_garden, yes, they were. Now there are less flowers, but I expect I will have two or three flowers per month for a few more coming months. It was a lovely sight, well I had 6 pots with the same color, but still.

9 years ago

Oooh! Just now starting to see buds on holiday cacti. Nice pics!!

These aren't new for me to show here, Tradescantia sillamontana and wax Begonia, but are new cuttings put in this pot with Billbergia in the past few weeks. They never stopped blooming after being cut and stuck in this pot. That's cool, IMO, even if the plants are fairly common.

9 years ago

Doesn't look like this Philo flower will open this month, but it's a lot bigger, and now a 2nd one is forming. The big thing to the left is the bud I showed earlier this month. To the right, I hope the pic is clear enough to see the beginnings of another one coming up?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thanks for this,Purp!

Was a bit curious if we'd get an update. TWO inflorescences now?

How awesome!!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler