o
Look what happened today!!!!

Posted by plantmasterm z7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 17:48

Stapelia nobilis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what happened today!!!!

AKA Stapelia gigantea (the more commonly-used synonym, I believe). Nice plant, complete with carrion-smell-loving flies - what's not to like?

o

thanks for correcting my id, I seem to be having a very hard time getting these id's right, but I must tell you I get them all from the internet and check up to six sites before I decide what plant it is..I've got at least 10 more blooms to go

o

Those enormous flowers are gorgeous in a putrid kinda way, aren't they? When I had a large Stapelia endowed with many buds decide to bloom pretty much all at once, it took every bit of my powers of coercion to get a couple of students to move the plant from the greenhouse to outside....ANYWHERE but the greenhouse.

Those blue bottle flies sure don't waste any time, do they? Yuk. I managed to talk my secretary, with her long, painted fingernails and shiny jewelry, to be my "hand model " in some close-up shots. Nice touch, don't you think?

Thanks for posting this....it really is a favorite of mine.

o

Mine have been blooming on and off for few weeks. This summer I made sure I moved them out of the greenhouse before they bloomed. I had about 6 flowers open at the same time last summer and I couldn't walk into the greenhouse without holding my breath. That was the only time I was happy the GH was full of ants because they ate all the maggots (white things in pic) that hatched in the flowers, gross!
s gigantea

o

yes, very putrid..I guess I could cut the buds off, what do you think rhizo and karyn, will it harm the plant in any way..I think its beautiful without the flowers.

o

Hey PMM,

Just wanted to share that when it comes to IDing Stapeliads & their ilk, you'd do well to check out Dr. Barad & related site Stapeliads, Orchids of the Succulent World. Sorry I don't know to provide a link, but should you have choices of ID, you'd do well to rely on his.

If you already know about him & his site, well then to quote the late Gilda Radner as Emily Latella 'nevermind'.

o
RE: Oops -- happened today!!!!

Forgot to say, that really is an amazing bloom you've got there, congratulations indeed!

o

karyn,

Great shot!

pm,

It's by no means the most putrid - there are lots more foul-smelling ones, and there are some (such as in the link) that are odder than most succulent milkweeds (Asclepiads) - check the link for one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viper's Head

o
Loves Me Like A Rock

Another link to splendid lithos-like plants

Here is a link that might be useful: Pseudo Danish

o

Plantmast, you will do the plant absolutely no harm by removing the buds. Just do so cleanly with a sharp implement.

o

It doesn't harm the plant to remove the flowers but I actually like them, even with the smell and maggots. I love that Viper's Head. I was so upset that I lost my Pseudolithos migiurtinus last month. A slug or maybe a snail ate a hole and rot set in.

o

My Stapelia is one of the few reliable bloomers I possess. I certainly would not remove the blooms...but mine is a different species...S.gettleffii.

Christopher

o

Very pretty!! Congrats! :)

o

Very nice..love that bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here