Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pothos in water wilting

Posted by sunnyvalley 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 17:49

I have a few-month-old pothos cutting in water that's looking dull and wilty even though I've been pretty good about changing the water every few days.

1) Would it be happier in soil? I know water roots should only be about an inch long if you pot up, and mine are several. Can I cut them way back if I want to try potting?

2) Is is good or bad to add a little hydrogen peroxide to the water? I've read it's supposed to help oxygenate roots in soil, but I don't know if that logic carries to plants entirely in water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pothos in water wilting

Sunnyvalley..That's odd your Pothos is behaving poorly in water.

How long is the cutting and did you remove bottom foliage so leaves are not sitting in water? The lower stem, that makes contact with water should be leaf-free.

What about light? Is your Pothos in sun, and if so how much?
One thing about Pothos...they do fine in low light. Direct sun can bleach leaves and/or cause wilting.

Soil vs water.. What is your preference? Pothos do well in soil or water. If you decide to pot your Pothos in soil, it might continue wilting for a short period, but after adaption should be okay.

There's no need to cut water roots. In fact, I'd let them be. Good luck, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here