Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schefflera - how much light?

Posted by ptwonline none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 18:03

I just bought a Schefflera (it's a variegated one) that I was told would be suitable for growing in my basement. But having done some research it sounds like these plants need more light. My basement gets very little sunlight (just one tiny window) and the LED lightbulbs always make the basement seem a bit dim.

Do you think the plant will do ok? Or do I need to move it some place brighter (to a room with mostly indirect/filtered sunlight, but a fairly bright room). If I have to move it, any suggestions for a good basement plant? My basement needs some cheering up/life to it. Thanks.

This post was edited by ptwonline on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 18:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schefflera - how much light?

ptwonline, the short answer is "No".
A longer answer is:
Move the plant gradually from its present light level to the basement. This may take as long as six weeks.
Do not water the plant until the plant shows signs of (di)stress. The lowest leaves will droop, turn yellow and drop off. The whole plant (pot and all) should weigh much less.
At this stage, you should water it very carefully.
The plant will adjust to the reducing light by shedding enough vegetative material to the point where a balance is reached between light and photo synthesis.
You will provide just enough water to make sure that this balance is maintained - no more!
There is a school of thought that an indoor plant should be grown out to size and shape and then just maintained at that level - a living sculpture, if you like.
You might not like how it looks but it will be a functioning entity.
If your efforts are failing, remove the plant to a brighter location and put a "ZZ" plant in the basement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here