Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlisleliverpool

Identification of houseplant advice please, poss. Coffea Arabica

carlisleliverpool
12 years ago

Hi, I haven't been on here in ages, only just building up my houseplant collection back up after moving back in with parents.

I acquired a small houseplant at a local supermarket yesterday, it was half-price and looked lonely and unloved, but there was no indication as to what it was.

The plant it most closely resembles is Coffea Arabica, with the dark green, waxy, shiny, ruffled, oval leaves. In fact the leaves themselves and the way they grow from the stems is an exact match.

The only thing is, the plant isn't a tree as Coffea is supposed to be, nor does it resemble one, the leaves grow from several green flexible stems, not from a single trunk.

Does Coffea perhaps grow like this at a certain age or under certain conditions, there is no other match for this plant anywhere near as close. I've read that Coffea isn't a true tree and that leaves grow from 'willowy stems' but I've no idea what 'willowy' means.

Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

A picture would be helpful.

12 years ago

So sorry....I meant to add the attached link to the other possibility besides Coffee plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ardisia crispa

• carlisleliverpool
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks... I'll grab a photo of it later today. I took one on my phone, but my laptop's bluetooth isn't working so I'll have to use a camera.

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Could it be several coffee beans planted in one pot? When they are young, of course the stems would be green instead of brown. I bought several coffee plants in a single 4 inch pot years ago and raised one of them to a two or 3 foot tree in a few years. Unfortunately it got thrown out when I moved.

Christopher

• carlisleliverpool
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a photo of the plant in question, hopefully this helps identify it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Plant

12 years ago

Looks more like coffee than the Ardisia I suggested.

• carlisleliverpool
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks yeah. I had a look at the Ardisia, but the leaves looked a bit too long and thin to be this plant. Can you see on the photo what I mean about the stems?

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

These are definitely Coffee, as I said. Look the same as the one I bought years ago. Several coffee beans planted in one pot.

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Definately Coffee.

Carlie, is the pic you posted, your plant or a stock pic? Toni

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

It doesn't look like the one coffee plant I saw which had very shiny, stiff holly-like leaves. And it seems odd to me for you to find it in a supermarket, since it is kind of an exotic houseplant. But, I googled it and found several images that do look like your plant. So, you may have found something special. It's attractive, in any case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of coffee arabica

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

I bought my coffee plants, several in a 4 inch pot, in a supermarket several years ago, think it was like $2.99. Not odd at all; quite common now, really.

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I too got my Coffee and Ardisia at the grocery store. They're no longer considered rare. Toni

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus