Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fungus on surface soil in pot

Posted by ines_99 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 18:44

One of my hanging plants has started growing a white wispy type of fungus on the surface of the soil. We have had alot of rain and damp weather lately. I don't know if it is bad for the plant, but I don't like looking at it no matter what! I tried a little neem oil, also said to be a fungicide, that didn't help. Does anyone know of something, preferably not too harsh, that I could put on the soil to kill this stuff?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fungus on surface soil in pot

Soil staying damp for too long can cause fungus to grow on the surface.The fungus itself won't hurt the plant, but constant damp soil can. The soil could even be heavy and/or maybe not draining as well.
If you want to get rid of the white fungus, just scoop out the entire top couple of inches or so of soil trying to get all the spores and replace with new dry soil.

Billy Rae

o

Hi Ines,

I have had that problem in the past with a couple of my plants. It is environmental. But when you get it it can be a little problem to get rid of it. Some people just scrape it off and ad new soil. For me it always came back.

Here is something that works like a charm, but is poo poo'ed by most people on the forum. I always give credit for this to jon d. He is the one who came up with it and first told us about it on the forum.

The remedy is to go out and buy some spay foot powder with tonaftate in it, such as Tinactin. Get the dry arisol spray can. Hold the can around 1 ft. away from the soil and spray lightly. Don't worry if a little bit gets on the plant. It won't hurt it and you can wipe it off if you need to. It works like a charm.

Larry

o
Hello to Billy Rae

Oh, hi Billy Rae, posted while I was in the middle of writing my post. Not to be argumentative, but I have never had success with replacing soil. Has soil replacement worked for you in the past?

Larry

o

Hi Larry!

I can honestly say that scraping the top part of the soil out has worked for me. I think the the trick is to get ALL of the spores out and of course, not over-watering, or having poor drainage/big pot, that kind of stuff...
This was something that happened a few times when I first started collecting houseplants many moons ago. At the time I didn't even know what that nasty white fluff was or where it came from. I'd scrape it out with a big spoon down a couple inches to near the top of the root-ball.

I have heard of using Tinactin on fungus soil and have heard good things about it!
With better understanding on my part of a plants basic care, a fungus problem is a thing of the past.

There can sometimes be more than one way to go about eliminating a plants problem and so I'm sure using Tinactin is just another successful way to go about it.

Billy Rae

o

Hello there.

I am a palm in my house that I bought a few weeks ago. I used Fafard all purpose soil. When I bought it, it was really wet.

My palm's soil surface has some white fungus growing on it. I have no idea what else to do to get arid of it. I tried to scrap of some of the soil and replace it, but it came back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here