Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant ID Please. Bonsai candidate?

Posted by bryanscott none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 18:52

Hi folks. Can anyone help me to identify this plant? Picked it up for dirt cheap at Home Depot today. Marked simply as a tropical.

Plant consists of several cuttings thrown together into this pot. It looks like it would take well to pruning and branching out, and therefore make good raw material to become a bonsai. Sorry�photos don't show the lower branches well, but they look like they would become woody over time kind of like a Hedera Ivy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant ID Please. Bonsai candidate?

Another photo.

o

I may be completely wrong, but at first glance, it looks like a lipstick plant which is actually a hanging plant. Others will soon chime in to confirm or correct the id.

Nancy

o

Bryan,

I would think that bonsai plants are usually selected for their central-trunkedness, if you will.

o

Right, right, but my plan is to separate all these cuttings (there are many in there) and plant them as individuals. They look like they will come apart very easily.

Then, with some heavy pruning, I think the stems will harden. Well, that, actually I'm unsure of. But like I said before they feel a lot like Hedera Ivy so I think there's a good chance they will.

o

Hi,

If this is a Lipstick plant (which it may well be), it may harden as you suggest but I doubt its stems will thicken up as a bonsai might. I don't think that's the growth habit of this plant, sorry. Also I think single stems of this will look spindly & sad, that's my two cents. You did ask.

o

May I suggest a jade plant? It's an oldie but a goodie and perfect for practicing your skills on. The limbs you remove can be rooted to produce more plants to practice on until you perfect your technique!

Nancy

o

Thanks all. I've got a bunch of young jades, as well as several other more obvious bonsai candidates: ficus, schefflera, hedera ivy, olive, Australian mint bush (although the one I have did not respond well at all to root pruning and seems to have collapsed) and a juniper.

The little guy in question was just a cheap hardware store pickup that I thought might have potential. If not, it's not a big deal at all. Will still make an interesting addition to my collection.

Cheers.

o

Good luck and have fun!

Nancy

o

This looks like a lipstick (Aeschynanthus) to me. I grow several varieties and this is likely a variety of A. radicans. Even with pruning and time their stems always remain quite thin. They are tropical vining epiphytes and cannot easily support their weight vertically. They are nice plants, especially when in bloom. Keep in mind that they can become rather large though.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here