Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

Freesia indoors?

greentoe357
9 years ago

I bought Freesia bulbs in late April trying to grow them indoors. I separated them into 3 different pots to give them different mixes and lighting intensities. But they all grew essentially the same - into these long thin sickly looking grass things, with no sign of flowers or even inflorescences whatsoever.

Now, I know they require high light and cool (60-65 F / 16-18 C) temps. For high light, I placed 2 of the pots under T5 fluorescent bulbs, the third on the window sill. The temp was impossible to control, as it is summer in New York City after all, and I did not want to run the a/c just for them.

The package said they grow to 18 inches tall, but mine are exactly twice as long. Normally with plants this means they are reaching for the light when they are not getting enough.

So, was this a totally inappropriate plant to get for my growing conditions, end of story, or is there hope, perhaps next year? Should I throw them away this year, or something can still be done to get them to flower?

Comment (1)