Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you call it?

Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 19:09

My mom always had a pothos/philodendron kind of plant that grew up a support that was made out of some kind of bark or peat moss or something natural-looking like that.

I would like to get one for my own plant, but I can't figure out what they are called to search online.

Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you call it?

Some people call them "totems".

o

They are made of several things....tree fern, compressed coir fiber, bark, and even wire /peat moss.

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 8:12

No luck finding them using "totems" or anything else I have tried--though that term leads to sales of tall plants already growing on the totem.

Anyone have a link or an IRL place where they can be purchased?

o

You can get the same effect with any branch or thick stick. What's outside?

o

Go to local garden center...for this purpose, lowes or home depot count. You are looking for a liner for a wire hanging basket, most likely made of coir. Take liner, wrap around stick of some kind, tie in place. Bamboo works well, yellow pine.

In a pinch you could use multiple layers of burlap.

Or use chicken wire or hardware cloth to create a small diameter cylinder, fill it with packing peanuts, line it with coir, sheet moss, etc. or skip the packing peanuts.

Or visit a local garden center, pull out a house plant they most likely have in stock growing up a pole, and point at the pole, saying, this is what I want.

o

They are called 'moss poles' here and are widely available. Lots of hits come up when I Google that term. You could try it and see what you get in the US.

o

Leafy, are you talking about a planter similar to this one?

http://www.lakeside.com/Garden/Planters/Solar-Caged-Glass-Planter/prod31129.jmp?sorted=Y&navAction=push&fm=leftnav&categoryId=cat52162&navCount=0

Hope it works..Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: What do you call it?

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 15:08

Thank you Flora UK. That did the trick. Moss poles it is!

o

try Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or local equivalent 'craft' type stores that sell fake plants (oddly enough) :)

o

Leafy, they aren't called "moss poles" here. If you go to a garden center and describe them - the poles you grow ivy on, for instance, or print a pic of one, they'll know what you're talking about.

o

Another name is topiary. There are different types of topiary's, including some w/moss, shaped like various animals. So very pretty..

o

HI...."moss plant pole" google that..and then images...
I find these at garden centers....there about $20....
glasshouseworks.com sells them...good luck in your hunt...linda

o

Found many places out of stock; As of today 10-09-2012 found the 'Mosser Lee 'Totem Pole(TM) Extendable Plant Supports' ' at the Mosser Lee company and at Amazon. http://www.mosserlee.com/product/532_TotemPoleExtendiblePlantSupports.aspx

o

Great question. I was actually thinking the same thing recently. I was in Lowes last week and I saw an arrowhead vine climbing one of these moss poles and was like WOW! I need to get one of these. All day I was thinking of how I could make one and/or where I could buy one!

THANK YOU!!!!

o

I know them as moss poles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here