Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Plant Identification Please

Posted by Dogg1967 4b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 19:28

Bought this neat little plant for $2.99 at Canadian Tire. It's simply labelled as "Assorted Tropical Plants" and the classic "Not for Consumption." Any ideas on what I have? Thanks.

Trop 3 photo S6302406.jpg

Trop 5 photo S6302408.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Plant Identification Please

I believe that's Polyscias fabian.

Planto

o

Looks like you've got it. Thanks for the help. Should prove to be a nice addition to the houseplant collection. Anyone have any added advice about its care? Or perhaps, experience with this type of plant, a pic or two of your Fabian?

o

Yo Dogg! :)

You found a beautiful Polyscias at a fantastic price.

A Fabian that size would cost 15-20.00 here. Moreso, because of the thickness of each trunk.

I admit, I cannot keep Polyscias. I have a P. Ming Aralea, which is barely hanging on. If this one goes, that's it for Polyscias, even though I think they're gorgeous plants. Especially mature specimens.

One thing I discovered is they detest wet feet. Sunny mornings are the best time to water and/or fertilize.
Soil should be semi-acidic, so pH should be on the low side, but not too low. Somewhere between 6.2-6.7.
Rich, but well-draining.

As for light, bright light, no direct summer sun, indoors.

Very hot days, '90+' halts growth... Lowest temp, 55-60F.

Good luck, Toni

o

you should never let them go below 65f. they absolutely love 75f-85F range and humidity above 80%. and they are at their best when given even moisture, let top soil dry up a bit, but not more then a few inches. the roots are mostly at the bottom of the pot, not on the top. so that's why they should never stand in water . mine are in self-watering pots (on water wicks) - that's optimal for them.
yours is quite small - 6" pot may be? you'll need to be careful about watering: if it dries up completely it'll drop the leaves and might not recover, being so small.
sunlight filtered thru sheers for sev hours is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here