Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider plant question

Posted by chemboy92 none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:36

Hi
So I had a spider plantlet that I planted into a plastic soda bottle. the bottle is half filled with soil. some wood chips, dirt and some potting soil. I watered it so that the soil is moist, sealed the bottle with the cap and placed it on my window sill. Just wondering if my spider plant will survive and what i can do to improve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider plant question

Take the cap back off periodically(or altogether)to let it breathe. ...Just as an insurance against rot.

o

Before too long, a bigger pot will probably be needed, but this sounds like fun for now. To get the plant out later, you can just cut the bottle. I would leave the cap off too, spider plants rot easily if too wet. You could go ahead and cut the top off soon, and put a few holes in the bottom, call it a pot. I wouldn't think there would be enough room in the bottle for the leaves, assuming your plant will be much bigger soon, like one would expect from a spider plant.

There is a terrarium forum, if that's the interest that prompted this experiment.

o

My spider plant looks quite brown at the tips. Last night I touched one of the babies and a leaf fell off could this be a sign that the babies aren't doing very well and weak. I always water it from the bottom and it always leaves it a the bottom but tomorrow it will always be gone it has took it 3days to drink it and I have just least it should I empty the water? I do fertilize it regular basis am I doing some thing Wrong does it need more light ???

o

Hi Joe, welcome to Gardenweb!

If you will let the soil dry well, water from the top, then dry again, it should improve. Sitting in water, and/or being in constantly soggy soil, will rot the roots.

o

Here is one of my leafs what looks dead

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here