Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenphase_gw

Success!

GreenPhase
11 years ago

This is the first time as an OP for me and I thought it would be best if I started my postings with something I did well, if I may gloat, a bit...

I was sent my stromanthe at the beginning of this last spring by a family member and it was already under potted, but I wanted it to adjust to its surroundings before I shocked it with a repot. So it had quite a while. I finally got around to it yesterday and the roots were crazy pot bound but healthy.

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

GreenPhase..Congrats..You're Stromanthe Trio is beautiful, very healthy and well-rooted.

Although it needed repotting, wouldn't spring be better suited?? :)

Spring is a time when life begins. Sunlight is brighter and longer..a time when roots spread and new leaves grow.

I live in IL, so my suggestions are based on the growth of plants during cold, 'icy,' gray winters. Toni

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I gave it just over an inch around and several inches down, now i wont gain and lose leaves at the same rate, Just gain!
    Now it looks like this!

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did think about that, but I've got a couple weeks of decent light in Oregon. The rainy and gray springs are the same thing as the gray and rainy falls and this baby has spat out new plantlets and leaves for me no matter what! Plus I have some mild artificial light to get my tropicals through. It will probably just slow it down :P

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb. What a beautiful plant! I like your can-do attitude. Looks like there are some other healthy plants in the background also. Great job!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Yes, I now want a plant that looks like that, and as if I don't already have enough. Just when you thought so have seen every houseplant you could own, you see another.

That is a beauty and welcome to this forum.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hello All,

GreenPhase. Please don't think I was admonishing you about repotting...:) I apologize..

Your Stromanthe is beautiful..Happy foliage w/o mars.
    Nice container, too.

Will you keep your plant near the light during winter?

BTW, is anything inside the aquarium? It'd make a nice terrarium..:)

My eyes aren't what they used to be. Is that a Hoya growing on a trellis? There's a red 'object' on one of the stems, nearest a leaf..Is that a flower or reflection? lol.

Hey Mike.,..why do you not have a Stromanthe? lol. Got mine yearsss ago. Actually, I had two, but potted both in one container..space ya know? lol. Toni

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't mean to come off as defencive... sorry
    Ive read stuff off of this site for quite a while now and have leaned a lot! So quite a bit has been from you Toni!

And I will move it really close to the window with the extra light. The temps in the house are pretty stable through out the year so it should be fine.
    I don't know what species it is but it is a Hoya. Its a sort of home made trellis. I wouldn't be suprised it that hoya is almost 3 times my age, It was one of my great grandmother's plants. It has floted around the family quite a bit...
    The red on the Hoya and the red in the background is from the Leopard gecko's tank. :) she's awsome, but this is't a fauna forum :P

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't mean to come off as defencive... sorry
    Ive read stuff off of this site for quite a while now and have leaned a lot! So quite a bit has been from you Toni!

And I will move it really close to the window with the extra light. The temps in the house are pretty stable through out the year so it should be fine.
    I don't know what species it is but it is a Hoya. Its a sort of home made trellis. I wouldn't be suprised it that hoya is almost 3 times my age, It was one of my great grandmother's plants. It has floted around the family quite a bit...
    The red on the Hoya and the red in the background is from the Leopard gecko's tank. :) she's awsome, but this is't a fauna forum :P

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

That's a really nice looking plant. I'm not familiar with stromanthe; I thought yours was a type of cordyline. Can anyone tell me more about stromanthe?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

GreenPhase..okay..Sometimes online words are taken the wrong way. I feel guilty at times, lol. I know, silly.

I love hearing stories/seeing pics about plants that were from past generations..the history behind it is most interesting.

Your home-made trellis is working, looks fine. Has your Hoya ever bloomed?

Oh, a Gecko. How interesting..Does he have an English accent like the commercial. lol.
    Have a pic of the little guy?

GreenPhase, since you started this thread, you're free to discuss anything you want. Ppl talk and post pics of their pets all the time

FicusWrangler. Are you familiar with Maranta/Prayer Plants?
    Stromanthe is closely related to Maranta, Calathea and Ctenanthe. Each have numerous species.

Although Stromanthe, Calathea and Ctenanthe leaves don't fold like the famous Maranta/Prayer Plant, they tend to close a little around sunset
    Every so often, one of my Stromanths leaves move. At first, I thought an insect or mouse got in the soil. After checking, nothing could be found. Then it happened again. It has something to do with nerves.

All are beautiful and in warm climates bloom. Each flower differs in color and shape.
    Foliage has different colors. Some veined, others blotched.

They do fantastic in warm, tropical climates, but in northern states, much effort is needed to keep them going...free from brown edges, etc. Toni

11 years ago

There is a reptile forum, if you'd like to discuss your lil' lizard in particular. In the nature section of GW.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I have a Ctenanthe lubbersianna that I planted outside in a semi-shaded spot several years ago. It's survived neglect and having grass growing over it, and a week of 25 degree weather 2 winters in a row, and a bad drought last year. I was surprised to find some of it still alive when I cleaned out the bed a few weeks ago! It needs to be moved since the tree that provided the shade is gone.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

GreenPhase, I have had that Stromanthe a couple of times and never managed to keep it as handsome and healthy looking as yours. I have had the Ctenanthe lubbersiana mentioned by eahamel for years and find it incredibly easy. I keep mine in the house but it doesn't seem to mind where it is, it just keeps going. I divided it this year into three to give two away to friends, and the one I kept is offsetting and as hale and hearty as ever.

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for a wonderful thread! I enjoy hearing from all of you, and think this is a great place for me to nerd out about plants! I have been exploring the other forums more recently, thanks to the recomendation, and have found tons of other cool stuff! And I can deffinetly see a Ctenanthe lubbersiana in my future :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hello Greenphase,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I also love your beautiful Stromanthe.. You did a great job with your repot. SOmetimes you just have to do what you think is best for your plants. Great job!!

The Leopard Gecko is awesome!!! ;-) Great pic!!

Take care,

Laura

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

That is a nice looking plant! Looks really healthy!
    Love the gecko too

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, I have on occasion transplanted in the dead of winter and most of the time had success. Your plant and your gecko are both beautiful. Look forward to future posts from you

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Welcome Green Phase, From one newbie to another!! I have to say I LOVE LOVE this plant and have added it to my list of must haves! Beautiful and nice to meet you.

11 years ago

Your gecko is so cute!

And yes, this is the primo place for nerding out on plants!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Green, I love your gecko too. He/she is adorable..so colorful..Even cuter than the gecko on the TV commercial w/the English accent..:)

What size are they as adults? My son would love a gecko. He has a 4-yr iguana, that takes a ton of room and enjoys eating my plants..lol. Also, what do they eat? Toni

• GreenPhase
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Iguanas are so cool! They're more social (love their owners more) than my gecko, if that's a factor for your son.
    Gecko Profile:
    Diemos is an 8 year old cricket raised Petco Leopard Gecko. She is about 7 in from nose to the end of her tail and on occasion eats mealy and wax worms. On her head she has a paw print spot configuration and orange and purple coloration on her tail. All she needs is a few crickets a week, clean water, and a warm spot to stay. She enjoys brief walks on the sand and basking in the glow of a heat lamp.