Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Palm ID

MrBlubs
10 years ago

What type if palm tree(s) Is this?
I bought it and its just been in the decline ever since.

Comments (12)

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

Parlor Palm. Very easy to care for. I'm thinking too much light maybe. How much light does it get? These are seriously one of the easiest of all palms.

This post was edited by CactusBoss on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:27

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Cactus, I'm curious as to how you come to the conclusion of too much light!

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It hasnt really got any light.... I left it outside once for like 6 hours but other then that it barley gets any light. Well Ive only had for a week. Untill.I get it a new pot it wont really get much light.....
    Supposely it had bugs on it so I sprayed it with soap water....
    I might.just go get a.new one :\

• CactusBoss
    10 years ago

rhizo_1 The yellowing leaves brought me to that conclusion. The reason being i heard these plants bleach in the sun easily.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It hasnt really got any light.... I left it outside once for like 6 hours but other then that it barley gets any light. Well Ive only had for a week. Untill.I get it a new pot it wont really get much light.....
    Supposely it had bugs on it so I sprayed it with soap water....
    I might.just go get a.new one :\

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

MrB, that's quite a harrowing week this plant has had. Six hours is more than enough to ruin the foliage of parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) if it's not used to that already. I'm confused why you'd be ready to get a new plant if this one already needed a new pot?

What kind of bugs did it have? If any, the plant almost certainly came with them from the store. If you are looking for another one, and there were bugs, I would shop somewhere else if possible. Confirming the ID of any possible pest before taking action is usually best, so you can then know what can be done about it. "Soapy water" doesn't tell us much. Was it a soap intended for use on plants? Did the soap get into the soil? The PH of some dish soaps is quite high, the opposite of what is healthy for most potted plants in soil or on leaves. Not something that would be conducive to pretty green leaves, but could easily lead to chlorotic yellow leaves. I don't know about it happening within a week though.

These little palms are sold in a crowded little clump. They are one of the easiest plants I've repotted since their roots are strong, long, and grow slowly, so not usually so tangled into a tight ball. A bigger pot is something I'd do, separating the plants as much as possible when putting them in the new pot. When finished, the soil level should be at the same place on the stems as it was before, possibly a little lower, definitely not higher. Then each should have a little room to form into a nice little tree, assuming you like the clump look. At a glance, the pot would look the same, but looking more closely, the shape of each will be more rounded, full, healthy looking. You can see each trunk clearly to inspect for pests, remove old leaf stumps that can give pests a place to hide. That should be a good setup for the rest of their potted life, though you would want to replant as a clump periodically. After initial separation, I wouldn't attempt to separate them for any following repot unless I was splitting them up to different pots.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At first I thought they were Majesty palms so I thought they could handle the light..... Whoops...
    Its not in an actual pot yet its in those crappy black plasic pots so I would be getting a new pot for it. I also thought I would have to get a new plan because my mom was the one that said it had bugs and wanted me to throw it away.....
    I didnt see anything except for this little white worm in the soil
    So just so I.could keep.the plants I sprayed it with water and enviromentally friendly dish soap.... Which might have killed it...
    So I left the soapy water on it for an hour then rinsed it out and let it be in the shower for 30 minutes.
    I do plant and seperating them when I get a good pot for them and thats why I asked what type they were because if they were Majesty palms well you know.
    So, If I havnt killed it already, I plan to repot them this week and not use any of the soil it came in as a precation for bugs in such.

Hopefully it all works out...

Thanks for all the help!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Everyone,

Mr. Bulbs,

Your Parlor Palm doesn't look like it's dying. Not in my eyes.

Did your mom mention the type of bugs your palm has? If not, can you describe?

Sometimes, palms attract spider mites...you'd see webs.
    Mealy and scale are common among palms, but before going in detail, if you describe the insects it'd be a lot easier to ID. If insects are the problem.

What's wrong with your palm? Why do you say it's dying? Toni

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its just yellowing and has brown spots appearing....
    I have know Idea what my mom saw all I could het out was tiny things moving :\
    I doubt it even had bugs....

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

MrBulbs, if you saw tiny things moving, your plant has insects. :)

Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I wonder if there were/are fungus gnat larvae in the soil? Do you see tiny flies hanging around your plant?

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ive checked the soil and all over the plants but I cant find anything!
    I did though see a white worm in the soil....
    Ill check the plant again