Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosetrackz

Plant pairing

Moosetrackz
12 years ago

I have a hanging basket with English Ivy and a Spider plant. Its done great and I want to make another pairing like it.

Can I put a spider plant and String of pearls succulent in the same pot? I have both plants and they do great in my garden. They're both in the same soil, MG potting soil( I know I should probably have them in a gritty mix but I didn't know that was best until I started reading this forum). I water them nearly the same in my garden. Maybe a little less for the String of Pearls but Spider plants have those big tuber like roots so couldn't it handle having succulent type watering regime?

Comments (21)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    12 years ago

I won't do it, Those two plants require different care.

It might work for awhile in a gritty mix or something that won't hold water but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

There was a thread that discussed companion planting in considerable depth not too long ago. Follow the link below if you have interest in a discussion about some of the variables and considerations that affect the probability of success or failure.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me for more on companion planting

• squidy
    12 years ago

Sounds like it's worth a shot, I'd go for it. I only water my spider plant when it dries out completely, and it does very well, so I wouldn't worry about underwatering it if that's what you're concerned about.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I do this. I have:
    - a heart-leaf Philodendron growing with Dracaena marginata
    - recently started sharing that philo with my spider plants
    - also sharing philo with another Dracaena marginata
    - Tradescantia zebrina under angel wing Begonia
    - {{gwi:104053}}
    - 2 pots with Sanseviera and Dieffenbachia

Pic with many {{gwi:90440}} described above sitting together.

I see no harm in sticking a piece of this here, a piece of that there. Sometimes it works, once in a while it doesn't. I usually have very good success, especially when sticking a piece of something in a well-established plant. I think it enables the cutting to be remoistened often while the host plant ensures that it dries in a timely manner. If somebody starts to look unhappy after a long time as roommates, just unpot, separate, and try something else. If you have a few strings of pearls to spare, it's worth trying. If you'd be really bummed if they didn't make it, it's not worth it. What a cool plant to play with! If I ever see another one, I will definitely but it and NOT OVERWATER IT! I PROMISE! LOL!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, did you ever pair tropicls/succulents together? If so, how are they doing? Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys!

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I have indeed paired some string of pearl(Senecio rowleyanus) with one of my young spider plants. Its been about a week and all seems to be going well. My plan is just to water that pairing less than I usually water my other spiders because of the pearls. I think it will do just fine since my other spider plants have never seemed to mind if I forgot to water them for a little longer than usual.

I have also paired another young spider with some Wandering Jew (zebrina). I don't foresee any problems with that pairing though. It looks pretty neat with the green and purple. Very super villain esque :)

I have a ton of spider babies I potted up this year and I just wanted to try some interesting group pots with them. Might try spiders and some Polka Dot plant(Hypoestes) too. Not sure how that will do since my Hypoestes seems to be happiest with more frequent watering.

Ill take some pics soon. :) Thanks for all your advice.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, sounds nice. Yes, please post when you have time.

I've given up growing SOP's. Last year I bought one at HD. It was doing okay, but never looked like it should.

IMO, proper watering this plant is impossible. Although it's a succulent, needs less water, no matter how I water they kick the bucket. I don't have problems w/other succulents, but forget SOP's. lol.

SOP and Polka Dot will be a challenge. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics. Toni

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

how about this? I'm very excited about it!
    {{gwi:104055}}From Chlorophytum

These are by no means babies, but same treatment... although the pot is quite a bit larger: {{gwi:104056}}From Chlorophytum

I also put some vari babies in with my Aglaomena "stripes"

GB

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

gravy, nice use of those strawberry pots. They look cute!

I've been kicking this discussion around in my head and am not sure that's it's not a good idea to put a couple plants with different water preferences together. Like, will moose's spider plant grab the moisture and keep the SOP with it from being too moist? Time will tell.

I like the idea of T. zebrina with spider. It's about time for another round of cuttings, so will def. start some trial pairs of this soon.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Gravy...Hey, your Strawberry Jar look fantastic!! Thanks for the idea. lol.
    I have 2 or 3 sj's, sitting in the basement, collecting dust.

At this time, not all my Spiders have shoots. Think I'll try a mixture, variegated, green and gold.
    I also have a plant that was ID'd as Pandanus. 'Screw Pine.'
    It's quite unique. New growth is white, as it matures leaves green. My brothers MIL brought it from Poland 40+ yrs ago. I was given a cutting in 1994, rooted and had since.
    It would look nice planted in the top hole, and spiders off the sides. Thanks so much.

How long have you had your SJ/w/Spiders? Did you root in the pot, or outside, then plant in the jar? Great idea.

I made a succulent sj several years ago. But get this. A Jade/Crassula leaf fell in a side pocket, rooted, and is now a little tree. The pockets on this jar are very narrow, so it's going to be a real pain removing the Jade. The Jade would have looked good on top, but another, very pretty succulent has grown, so I don't know if I should remove it and replace with the Crassula, or pot the Jade in a different container.
    The trunk of this particular Jade has thickened. Maybe 1" diameter. sigh. I dislike breaking roots, but what other option is there?

Anyway, very nice idea..luv it..Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heres a Pic of the SOP with the spider plant.

{{gwi:104057}}

Pic of the wandering jew and spider plant.

{{gwi:104058}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, your plants look great. Your WJ is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are so vivid.

Is your Spider and SOP's in a windowbox? If so, does it have drainage? If not, either unplug, 'if it has plugs,' or drill holes. A very easy task.

Otherwise, they look good together. Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Toni! :)

I love my WJ. It got attacked by inch worms a few months ago so I took some cuttings just in case they ate my whole plant. They can really eat up a plant fast! Those are some of the cuttings with the spider plant.

The Spider/SOP isn't a window box, just a square pot. I like the square look. Its different and if you put them all side by side its almost like you have all your plants in one really long pot lol.

I don't know why they even make pots with no drainage. I told my sister about pot with no drainage when I saw she had one and she didn't listen to me and killed a perfectly innocent Echeveria. Some of the cutest pots have no drainage too. :(

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:104059}}

Here's a pic of the SOP mother plant. It seems to do great here in SoCal. It really seems to like the warm weather (85+ most days). I water it about once every 2 weeks and maybe once a month if its been cooler (less than 80). Its hung under a balcony to protect it from rain. Its grown about 20in since I got it last February. Its one of my first and favorite plants. :)

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

MT thanks for posting pics! Your spider/WJ combo is my favorite, with purple, white & green.

Toni, I think your Grocery Store Spider with white margins & green center is a C. variegatum (according to Dr. Hessayon). As for the strawberry pots, I rooted my spider babies before putting them into the pockets... the terracotta pot has larger plants in it: a variegated one on top & solid in the pockets below. I just created these this summer, but so far they seem happy. I think they'll look really good once the plants fill out & spread! WJ or any combo of trailers would be attractive choices for such a pot.

Your Jade situation sounds a little sticky! I'm not sure what I would do if it were mine... if you were inclined to do a total repot, you could maybe root prune the Jade & get it out of the pocket? But everything from above would have to come out too & that would be a lot of work!

I'm wondering what'll happen to my Chlorophytum in the pockets once the root systems get big - and they do - but it will be a while... root prune, I guess. We'll see. One or both will remain at this house share when I move, but I'll surely have no shortage of little ones in the future & just keep an eye out at thrift stores/yard sales for more strawberry pots.

GB

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

MT, what are inch worms? lol. I've heard the name, but don't think I've ever seen one. Do they live in certain climates?

From the picture, your square pot looks like a windowbox. Square pots are very pretty, but the problem I have with them is, when a plant needs repotting, roots form square shape. Since 99% of my pots are round, finding a proper round pot that fits square roots is a challenge.

Yep, some of the prettiest pots don't have drainage, but I have a solution.
    When I worked for a nursery, we'd get huge sheets of styrofoam. We'd break off pieces that fit inside a pot w/o drainage. Plants were potted in black/green growing pots, then set on top of the styrofoam.
    When the location I worked at stopped selling retail, we got to take anything that wasn't nailed down. I took several sheets of styrofoam. But, most of my pots have drainage anyway.

Of all plants to pots in a non-drainage container: Echeveria.
    It can be done, but very carefully..not recommended for a novice.

Wish my SOP's looked as nice as yours. Can you keep it outdoors year round?
    When you root cuttings, do you just place a small section in soil?

GB..I looked up C. variegatum, and was directed to a link w/various Spider Plants. The variegatum is also called C. Bichetii. It could be the same, but according to the site, it's a dwarf.
    At first, I thought it was a miniature, but my grocery store had another of the same species, and since I wanted to pot two to make more complact, I bought it. The second is the same species, but leaves were much longer. I should know more next spring. However, it's quite pretty. Glad my store had a couple.
    I once read about a Chlorophytum dwarf that doesn't produce off-shoots. I hope this guy does.

You're so right about unpotting every plant in my strawberry jar. There's no way to remove the Jade w/o destorying other succulents. Besides, the sux were potted 5+ years ago; I'd like to check roots. But, either way, it's going to be a mess..There's some type of Sedum..you know how they drop when touched? lol..Don't want to think about it..it's a big job. Maybe next spring. lol.

Oh, I forgot about Spider roots. Yes, indeed, they're huge. Probably the largest roots of any plant I've seen. (potted, tropical/succulents)

Perhaps you can remove all the soil, then add water to loosen roots. Most strawberry jar slits are small, but some are a tad bigger, so they 'might' fit through without much if any damage.
    If you're really careful, gradually slip roots through the slits.. It's a thought. When do you plan on repotting?

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Toni.

Nice drainage solution. Gotta try that sometime.

Inch worms are geometer moth caterpillars. They eat my plants like mad but they're nearly gone now I think.

I'll probably leave my SOP outside. It doesn't get too cold here in winter. Maybe lows at 45. When I root cuttings I take a section and pull off a few leaves near the cut end and put that in the soil about an inch. Then I lay the rest of the section down in the soil and lightly cover another part of the stem with soil about half way up the section. I don't water it for about 2 weeks. Then it will usually root in those 2 places.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

MT, yep, the styrofoam works, as long as it's high enough water doesn't accumuate, and keep roots wet.

Thanks. Think I'll remove a couple strands from my SOP's, and try rooting in the pot w/mom.
    One other question. The SOP is in the same hanging pot it came in. It's very very root-bound.
    On hot days, the soil drys completely, pot is as light as a feather.
    Should I repot? I thought SOP's do best in shallow containers, but it's in a standard 6". What would you do? Toni

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HI Toni!

If your SOP is as root-bound as you say I would repot. Id wait until spring though. I like unglazed terracotta for my succulents. My SOP is in a plastic pot now though because it was purchased before I learned a lot about succulents. A shallow container would help if you have problems with it not drying out fast enough after watering but if you don't then a standard pot is fine. They also like some bone meal in the soil. Mines planted in half MG cactus mix with half course sand and a hand full of bone meal and a few egg shells. I water it with half strength fertilizer once every month spring through fall.

Also I just realized I told you to put cuttings in soil and not water for 2 weeks but I forgot to mention that I use moist soil. So water the soil first so its just moist and then put the cuttings in. Sorry about that! :) I hope your cuttings work out.

Id love to see a picture of your SOP! :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Ha, you don't want to see a picture of my SOP now. lol, however I'll post a pic not long after buying.

{{gwi:104060}}

The soil dries daily, so do I water as much in winter? My succulents are in well-draining soil, 'repotted,' and only get a drink when soil is completely dry.

If/once this SOP's kicks the bucket, never again. But, I'll take a strand, cut into sections, and place on moist soil. We'll see how it does. Thanks for instructions.

It should have been potted in spring/summer, but I hate when, 'leaves?' drop. Does yours fall off when touched?

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SOP goes dormant in winter. I water only when the soil is completely dry in winter. So it sounds like you're doing the right thing.

A few of my SOP leaves fell off when I repotted it and sometimes when Im taking a cutting I'll accidentally pull a few off but not just with normal handling.

When I repot mine I placed the pot on its side and slide a butter knife around the edges to loosen it from the pot and then kinda dumped it out on to a plastic bag (like from a grocery store). That way I had a way to move it around without having to pull on any strands.(important note: ON the bag not IN the bag. You don't want to have to reach in and pull it out of a bag. Think hammock more than bag. Any sheet of plastic will do.) I just cleaned off the old soil while it sat on the bag and then slide it from the bag into the new pot. The bag really just reduces you handling the plant so less chance of any leaves falling off and such.

I hope that helps. Repotting something with such delicate foliage is trick sometimes. Good luck!

PS
    It kinda looks like your SOPs leaves are a bit pointed. Mines are perfectly round. I saw some with pointed sort of leaves at the cactus show I went to. Do you know if this is a variation or something? Or maybe it has something to do with growing conditions? Or is it the same plant at all? lol