Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Buying a philodendron scandens to replace my ivy

tifflj
11 years ago

So I decided to replace the ivy that didnt make it with a philodendron scandens. There is one on the fron desk where my husband works and has been there FOREVER! I always pick off the yellow leaves when I go into visit.

Are they as difficult as the ivy was?

When buying a new plant, do you repot / pot up when you bring it home? I would imagine you want to get it out of the container that it is in from the store...

Any advice on this plant would be great! I am pretty excited and have been thinking about the plant all week!!!

Comments (8)

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff..
    Just jumping in.. I don't know the plant, but it's Not always neccessary to change the plant from the pot it has been grown in right away.. It's lived there for awhile, and may be a good idea to leave it there, if it's not root-bound..

More people will be in with opinions...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Deadhead, that's true, it's a personal decision people make for different reasons. I usually do repot pretty soon because I'm going to pull it to see the roots anyway, and I usually buy tiny plants in tiny pots that can blow away if I don't make them heavier. Inside, this wouldn't be a factor.

Tiff, Philo scandens is an extremely easy plant to keep happy. The one at hubby's work probably hasn't been repotted for the "forever" it's been there, not a good example of what a properly cared-for plant could look like. Individual leaves on a healthy one can stay on the plant for a decade or more.

I would be happy to send you some nice pieces with aerial roots to get started. Send me a private email if you'd like them. I put these cuttings in this pot a few months ago with a wire thing to grow on.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Very easy plant to keep and grow well!

If you get one, set it in your sink and run some fresh water through it, let it flow through the soil and see if it goes through quickly. If it just dribbles through you should consider repotting, if it flows quickly you can wait to repot it until it is really needed.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff..Philodendron Scandens is a breeze compared to growing Ivy indoors.
    The difference is like night and day.

Are you considering taking the Philo from your husband's work or buying new?

Normally, when I get a new plant, it's left in the same pot, 3-7 days, unless roots are growing out of drainage holes to the point the pot won't stand upright

Plant is placed in a bright light with no direct sunlight. Afterwards, set in a permanent location.

Tiff, you'll notice, everyone cares for their plants differently. No definate rules, nothing is written in stone. Please don't let different opinions upset you.

Purple, your Philo is beautiful! I like the trellis, too. Where did you find it?

11 years ago

Toni, well said! And thanks. The trellis used to be part of a little cart with wheels. This is one side, and it had a couple little wire shelves between the 2 sides, handy for sorting out our socks, or it was. My son killed it. I've been waiting for the plants to compete for who gets the other side part. That rescue Philo (from "Aroid I don't know" thread) or a Syngonium? Pothos? The shelf pieces are so short, but I'm still considering what to do with them. What needs a 9" trellis? Bonsai Philo? LOL!!

Philo above's aerial roots have managed to attach to the painted metal. I wasn't sure they would. Now to be answered... will a short, kind of wobbly support inspire this Philo to make big leaves again, like when it was climbing up a Drac? (I predict yes.) And can it make mature leaves on this little setup? (I predict no but want to be wrong.)

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was going to buy one from Walmart that I seen in one of those small cheap black plastic containers. I cant imagine the plant be happy in that for too long. Although, I bought my Scheff the same way and waited until it needed a new pot. And she is doing great...

11 years ago

Nothing wrong wrong with that, I've bought a bunch of plants at WM the past few years. Not many places with house plants around here. The offer stands.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple.

Think about it this way..It makes a much better trellis than a sock hanger. lol.

Saving broken items comes in handy..something dh doesn't understand.

Ever go to the Junk Forum? I've been there a few times; it's amazing what people do with their junk. They're so creative.

Purple, any time a Philo/Pothos grows upright, leaves grow larger. Philos/Pothos we've seen at the conservatory, growing up trees, were humongous. I honestly thought both were different species, until I asked an employee.

However, since the trellis is 9", it will eventually need replacing. Would you happen to have a mini Syngonium or Jasmine?

A Philo/Pothos cutting will work....for a while anyway. But, IMO, starting a baby by staking is a good start for the future. It should automatically grow larger leaves. You know?

Purple, not sure I understand your second prediction regarding mature leaves??? Are you asking if mature leaves will grow larger? You predicted no, but hope you're wrong.

Tiff, the majority of my plants started out small. Who could afford a bunch of 5' plants? lol.
    Many came from Walmart, Jewel's Grocery and Ebay in 3-4" pots. Some were cuttings a few sowed from seed.

Growing a plant from a baby makes one feel closer, more meaningful, as it grows into a mature plant. It might takes years to fully mature but well-worth the wait. Some plants grow faster than others.

There are certain plants I prefer buying a little larger..two examples are grafted Gardenia and Citrus. 1' tall. The graft/root stock can be anywhere from 2" to a couple feet. Depends.

Hope you're feeling better today. Congrats on the baby..4-months old..adorable.
    I remember my son liked 'talking' at 3:am, too..lol. Usually feeding, a clean diaper, and a little goo-goo-gaa-gaa in response to his/her chatter helps.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus