Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New Fiddle Tree

Posted by Cameron04 none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 20:41

I have just purchased a new fiddle fig tree, it is around 5-6 inches tall and is living inside of a 4inch pot. I was wondering when and how, do you know when it is the right time to move the plant into a larger pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New Fiddle Tree

Take it out of it's pot and look at what comes out. If it's just a great big chunk of root matter,then it's time to find a pot that's a bit bigger.

Would it be possible to take pics of this? If I could see what it looks like it'll help alot. :)

o

double post

:P

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 22:12

o

I'm having a hard time picturing a Fiddle Leaf Fig that's only 5 to 6 inches high. One leaf is that long! Any chance of a picture?

o

Mornin Rhizo!
I think what Cameron means is that the stem is that long not counting the leaves. I can certainly imagine a cutting of that size jamming a four inch pot with roots pretty quickly,can't you?

Cameron,..
If a pic isn't doable,then please try to put into words what the roots look like,and if they are so many and thick that you can't really even see so much of the soil...which is what I'm guessing will be the case.
Also...check "ficus lyrata" in google images just to be sure you have a match...often enough salespeople accidentally mislabel plants,and although I can totally imagine a tiny cutting(these things eventually get massive)in a four inch pot,I can also see Rhizo's point.

o

First, thank you for responding so fast. Here is the image of the plant.

o

And here is a picture of the roots. I have only had it for about a week now and I'm already in love, so any advice to keep it growing would help. Thanks again!

o

First of all.I'm not sure if anyone's going to agree with me or not around here,but I'd probably not pot it on yet..which is to say that I wouldn't be moving it into a larger container. In my opinion the roots aren't overwhelming the container as much as I like before I go looking for larger pots. As to potting it in a different mix but keeping it in the same(or at least the same size)container is another option and I would consider that if I had stuff better than what I have ...which is for the most part the peat based stuff that yours is potted in. I've read a lot of good things about the gritty mix and a fiddle leaf ficus is a plant that does really well in it(as do many many plants). There's a guy named Al here at GW who posts under the name "tapla" and let me tell you ...he is a genius when it comes to plants and their needs and his knowledge of figs alone is mind blowing.

Mind you,it's a substantial read but if you haven't seen this thread yet,you should check it out! HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of good info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here