Return to the House Plants Forum

o
Sick looking braided Money Tree

Posted by deb9 Kansas (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 20:53

I have a braided money tree that seems sickly. Some of the leaves are curling under and today two leaves fell off. Am I watering it too much? The instructions said to water it when it felt dry. I put 1/2 cup of water on it last month. I have not watered it since. I am also misting it once a week. What can I do to keep this plant alive. Any suggestions welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick looking braided Money Tree

How big is it and its pot? 1/2 c. last month sounds dry. Can you give any more info? Sandy

o

It's easier to overwater these than to underwater, but I agree w/Sandy that 1/2 C in a month sounds like underwatering, particularly if the plant is a large one.

If you find underwatering was the case...be careful not to overwater!

I've found the best way to water the braided Pachiras (assuming you're speaking of a Pachira?) is from the bottom, keeping water away from the base of the braided trunks....seems that getting water near those trunks usually results in their rotting.

o

Doing a google search on the Pachira, I find that their original habitat was the sunny wetlands from Mexico to Brazil.
Here is one of those results....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachira

o
More Info on Sick looking Money Tree

Here is more info on my sick looking braided money tree. It is small. It has been made into a bonsai money tree. It is about 8" tall in a 5" diameter pot. It has quite a few new leaves on it but like I said in my first post most of them look shrivled. (The original leaves look great.) None of the leaves have turned yellow; they are all still green but have the shrivled appearance. Do you think it needs more water?

o

Well, I'm assuming if this plant comes from a wetland, that it can handle more water than you are giving it. Wetlands stay wet most of the time. Did you take a look at the link? It says it can adapt to a variety of conditions, but not to let the soil dry all the way out. Braiding a tree or turning a tree into bonsai is not natural so watering requirements are likely different.
What kind of light are you giving it? If turning this tree into bonsai means lighter on water, that does not mean 1/2 cup of water at a time....even cacti and succulents need a thorough watering/soaking during the growing season when needed and plenty of drainage. Also no bonsai would be in a 5" pot unless that is 5" diameter and depth is shallow. To keep a bonsai a bonsai you have top pruning and root pruning to do, but that is a whole different ball-game and way out of my league! I suggest posting your questions on the Bonsai Forum as well :)

Good luck...

Vera

o

With the confusion on the care of this plant (not just here, but all over the internet and elsewhere!) I decided to look it up in Hortus Third.

There are, apparently two species of Pachira.
One of them, (P. aquatica) is native to a wetland area, and one of them (P. insignis) is native to dry sites, both *sunny*.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to which one has become the popular 'money tree' that we're all familiar with. Apparently the only way to really know is if the tree flowers, and that's not likely with small specimens indoors, as they both grow anywhere from 15 to 90 ft.

Personally, I think the ones *I* have are P. insignis, as they prefer to be dry but in a bright position, and the trunks are very prone to rotting if not kept relatively dry. (This, too, is from my own experience with the plants.)

P. aquatica is native to *sunny* wetlands....none of us have full direct outdoor sun in our homes,(lol...at least I don't!) therefore we have to water them less.
Any plant grown in less than ideal light needs less water than it would in it's native habitat, outdoors.

I definitely agree that 1/2 c. water in a month is likely not enough,though, especially if in a bright position.

I've found that even though Pachiras are 'touted' as great low-light plants....they gradually deteriorate in low light. They really thrive in a brightly lit position, and they even do very well in some direct light indoors, as the light indoors is nowhere near as intense as it is outdoors, naturally.

o

The instructions that came with my braided money tree said to mist it once a week and to water it thoroughly once a month. It also needs bright indirect sunlight. I have been watering as instructed and I have it sitting in the window at my office. It seems to being doing well. Hope this helps.

o

Hello Everyone! I have a 6 foot tall braided lucky money tree (purchased @ Ikea about 1 yr ago) The plant has done well, with the exception of the last 4 weeks. I'm not sure what I did, but some of the leaves are turning yellow or brown, (when leaf drops off it's stil moist) & falling of the stem. At first I thought the cause was when I underwatered my plant & then over watered it in an attemp to help the plant "catch up." After closer inspection I noticed that 1 of the 5 stalks seems to be turning brown (other stalks are green) & seems to be rotting. Should I try to cut out the rotting stalk or is my plant doomed? Also, in the last 2-3 months I moved it from high light to a mid light - could this be the problem> Last but not least, I noticed new stalks sprouting from the base of a couple of the stalks. What up?
Thanks to all in advance for their insight! :0 )

o

I'm having the same problem. My new, braided Pachira Aquatica was thriving all summer on my enclosed porch. It received bright, indirect light. Once it became cold outside, I brought it in and since then, leaves and stems are falling off. I notice there are more leaves starting to turn yellow. I wait for the surface soil to dry before I water it, as I did before, so I don't know what would be causing the yellowing, dropping leaves. It is a few feet from the east facing window. I'd hate to lose this beautiful tree as it grew so beautifully the past few months. My directions also said to mist 1x per week and water 1x per month, which I thought was crazy. I water it once per week. Help!

o

Hi everyone,
I also have a "Money Tree" that is losing leaves. I am not over or under watering it, and I haven't changed it's location. I suspect the winter months with the heat on in the house is taking it's toll on it. I have no idea what more leaves are dropping off each day. The leaves are brown and dry, yet the dirt is moist. Any suggestions?
Sassy50000

o

I was having the same problem with my money tree. Leaves turning yellow and falling off. I was trying not to "over water" and simply watered when the top felt dry. But after researching I found a tip that said to water from the dish instead of top of the soil. I started doing this, giving it more water than ususal. The decline stopped and the soil seems to be staying evenly moist. This worked for me! It has returned to a vibrant, healthy state.

o

Finally, I found a forum where the above messages are describing the exact symptoms of my poor poor Pahcira! It was a thriving plant for about 1.5 years. Then I moved into another apartment. I thought it was going through "culture shock" as the leaves starting showing white spots, then brown/yellow then they fell off. One shoot has turned brown so I cut it off. Two of the trunks seemed to have dried out. I've gotten some new shoots - so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Do I cut the shoots where all the leaves and stems have fallen off? There is minor growth coming from the top, but I don't think anything new will grow out of the spots where the stems are gone. Just want to be sure before I go cutting. I'm just hoping that new shoots will continue to grow... help!

o

I also have a new money tree (we've had it for about a week) and it's about 3 feet tall. It's leaves are wilting and it appears to be dying. When we bought it, it didn't look the best either but we assumed it was being overwatered. We repotted it with new soil and watered it. We have it away from the window for indirect sunlight but maybe this isn't enough light? What do you think?? Also, we have a smaller money tree which seems to be rotting at the base. How do I avoid this??

o

Hi
I have a Money Tree. It's been about 2 years now. When I bought it was not even a foot. Now it's about 20 inches tall. These go through a rough time as soon as they come home, but they will recover.
My Care Schedule:
I have it near the east facing window where it gets direct sun for 4 hours a day.
During summer, I water it once every week or so. I haven't given it any fertilizers TILL DATE.
During winter, the tree takes some rest (I think). SO I water it every 4 weeks. NO FERTS. I start reducing the watering frequency when the older leaves start falling off.
Spring and fall, I gradually increase or decrease the frequency according to the following season.
The soil is usually bone dry when I water. When watering I water it thoroughly. The humidity around it is about 50%. I have it with my other tropical plants.

The tree is in peat+vermiculite+perlite mix. NO soil. It is in a small pot, given the size of the tree itself.

Currently my tree is putting out new growth.
Hope this helps you.
Thanks
SRivida

o

Hi! I will appreciate your replies. I bought a braided money tree which is more than 6ft tall (I don't believe in superstitions I just find it pretty) from a newly opened Chinese store.I was really happy coz I found a money tree that I don't need to wait for it to grow taller and the best part is, it's a great bargain($only 59.99).It looks healthy although there is one side where some leaves are yellowish. Anyway, I water it once a week just like my other tropical plants with lots of water!!!But recently my money tree looks shrivelled and some of the small leaves sprouts fell off! I now put it under lots of indirect light near my sliding door patio and is under observation!So far it looks healthy and green but shrivelled, I feel sad about it I hope I did not kill it!(did I???)By the way,is the base supposed to be brown or green just like the rest of the other parts of the stem?Help!Thanks!

o

I saw the picture from the link sent by Vera.It was very helpful. Now I know what it looks like...Brown at the base is what it really looks like so my plant is still good hehehe!I'm glad....!

o

I too have some money trees. I purchased them approx. 1 year ago, and transplanted them into 7" diameter plastic pots. Both of them took off, growing huge leaves (they were only about 12" tall), some even started to develope 7 leaves per sprout. But now one of them isn't doing so well. Many of the leaves are dying (turning brown/yellow and falling off). I've watered it the same as always (once a week). Do you think it needs new soil? Why is it only this money tree and not my other one (which has the same pot, soil, water, height, etc)?

o

Please Try new design flower Pot EasyPot. www.easypot.net

o

Hey
i also have a sick money tree...
the base of it seems hollow and mushy...this can't be good. I read in an earlier post that sometimes getting the base of the tree wet can cause it to rot. If this is the case is there anything i can do to revive my little buddy? or should i just burry him and buy another (after a suitable grieving period obviously)

thanks in advance for any advice

o

Sicktree, if the base is mushy, even though I hate saying this, it's best to buy another..
Don't overpot, for these plants like small pots..Make sure soil dries well before giving more water. They do NOT like wet feet. Espeically in winter. They prefer bright light and up..I treat mine as I do succulents..Toni

o

Pehaps my Pachira is unusual. Most have stated these trees do not like much water but, mine - a seven foot giant, demands at least 2 gallons of water, twice a week or else the leaves turn yellow and fall off by the handful. Or maybe it has to do with the pot its in -- 20"dia.X 21" high. The tree is just inside my rear westward glass doors. Excess water at bottom, is channeled off via drain hose. However, the tree grows wild and what I would like to know is, how do you braid the stems without breaking them?

o

Knight, you're right your tree is unusal..LOL..I've killed more Pachira's by repotting and overwatering, and I don't mean the soil was soaked..I let it dry out. And in such a big pot, too..LOL.
I'm only kidding..whatever works best for one may not work the same way for another.
As far as I know, braiding needs to be done when stems are stil fresh..I don't think you can braid woody stems..maybe someone else has an answer..Toni

o

HELP ME PLEASE! I live in Connecticut and it is fall here, but very chilly outside. I just bought my little money tree in the mall a few weeks ago. I brought it home and it looked great, all leaves were green and the stem is braided. Also, some stems were clipped at the top of the braiding where the shoots start.
So I gave it some water and but it in my bedroom window facing south. (We live in a condo where our only windows face south and north, and the north facing window is in constant shade.)
So I gave it some water and when it got cold at night, I take it away from the cold window and put it about a foot or a foot and a half away from the radiator that's right under the window and put the temperature at anywhere between 55 and 62. My little buddy apparently doesn't like any of this!
At first started to droop and turn yellowish. Now the leaves are browning and since yesterday morning they have turned white at the tips (most of them) and have white spots on the leaves. The white tips are brownish and cripy cracked looking too!
I can't figure out what to do! AHHH! I misted the leaves hte other night and the plant did not like it AT ALL. I stopped watering because the soil is still moist and I put the pot it's planted in, that is in another glass pot, in a dish of water, thinking that the humidity caused from the heater and the dish of water would help it. Is it getting sick because of the change from chilly and sunny in the window to hot and dark at night???? Someone help! I don't want to loose my little friend!!
More info: It's about 8-9.5 inches tall and crying out to me for help!! What can I do ASAP to make it continue to live? I really want it to grow huge like everyone else's! Oh, and I know it likes to be in a little pot, but is there any soil or fertilizer I should transplant it into?? The woman in the asian store in the mall was totally unhelpful and gave me no instructions for care. Thanks for you suggestions! Please send them soon: Carramoto1@aol.com

o

Cara, sounds like you have a few things going on..For one, you never should have placed the Money tree in front of the radiator. Heat causes dry air, which in my opinion caused brown leaves.
Second, those white spots sound like mealy bug..You need to take action, fast..First, let's be sure it's mealy..do they look like white, cottony patches that can be scraped off? If so, then mealy it is.
To rid them, use a cotton ball or Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and swipe the infected areas. It's important you rid these bugs or they'll take over your plant. I don't mean to frighten you but of all the common plant insects, I deem mealy the worse, and most difficult to rid.
If you have a ceiling fan keep it running on low during the day..Even though it's 'basically' winter temps. This helps circulate air which is good for ppl and plants.
Also, you want soil to dry completely before watering..Too large a pot and heavy soil will cause all sorts of problems. MT requires a well-draining soil, and not too large pot.
Don't expect much growth this time of yr and do NOT fertilize..not until spring and when plant is pest free and in good health. Good luck, Toni

o

I have had a money tree for several months and recently 4 of the 5 original trunks died and became mushy. We removed them, so there's only the one remaining healthy trunk left. :(

Will it grow normally now? Are there any special care instructions? Thank you!

o

We have a braided Money Tree here in our office, which does not appear to be doing very well.

This tree is approximately two and a half years old, and started out with braided trunks. However when the tree was approximately 9mos old, two of the three trunks dried out and died, leaving the one surviving trunk. Since then, the remaining trunk as begun to straighten up, and grow on its own.

This tree is in a 12" pot, which sits on the floor, under a fluorescent light, that is always on. The tree itself is about 6 in height, and the diameter of the trunk, at the base, is approximately 1." The leaves on this tree are approximately 7 8" in length. I water this tree about every ten days, and Im careful to keep the soil very slightly moist, but never wet or sopping. Also, I have never repotted this tree, but I have added additional soil to the pot a few times during the last two years.

I have two problems with this tree as follows:

1. The tree only develops leaves within two separate areas. One area is near the very top of the tree, while the other area is about half way up the trunk, and only on one side of the trunk. The rest of the tree is simply a bare trunk, (not very attractive). Ive tried rotating the pot to see if a different light angle would help, but this did not seem to have any effect on where the leaves grow.

2. The other problem with this tree is, every few months, about one third of the leaves turn yellow, and fall off. They are not completely yellow, but retain some dark green veins here and there throughout the leaf. Also, they do not fall off all at the same time. The problem seems to occur first in one area of the tree, and then make its way to the next. This seems to last for about three weeks to a month before it runs it course. Also the remaining leaves do not turn yellow, but they tend to shrivel or curl slightly (not dry to the touch), and then eventually become firm again.
I guess another question is, should I trim the new growth at the top of the tree, to prevent it from becoming too tall and spindly?

o

Ejs, definatly sounds like you're overwatering. The soil needs to dry out before more water is given.
It's best using a well-draining soil..treat as you would a succulent. Soil should look/feel crumbly..this is especially important during winter months. The mushy stems are due to overwatering. If it were my plant, I'd remove entire plant from its pot, discard mushy trunks, place in a smaller pot using well-draining soil. A Cactus & succulent soil will work w/extra Perlite.

Steven, whoa!! LOL..I've a question for you..u said the reamining leaves shrivel and curl, then firm up again..Is this correct? So, you're saying after the leafs do this, they then revert to their original state? If that's what you mean, it's beyond me..Never heard of a dying? leaf, (other than wilted due to lack of water) return to health.

Normally a leaf that yellows with green veins is an idication of a mineral definciency..Like Iron. A simple shot of Iron sulphate or Iron chelate does the trick.

I don't know if bottom leaves that drop ever return..Perhaps someone else can answer this question. I grow my Pachira as a sort of bonsai, in a tiny pot, and like yours, leaves grow from midway to upper top. So, this may be common, but again not sure.
I've never seen a 6' braided Money Tree, bet it's a beauty..Toni

o

Hello Helpfulauthor,

This is Steven. For lack of a better description, I'd have to say that the leaves which do not fall off the tree, appear to develope a slight wave or curl along their length, and they look under-inflated. Almost as if they do not have enough internal presure.

Sorry, don't know much about plants so I must rely on other terminology to describe problem. Perhaps it is something simple, but I'm not painting a clear picture.

If possible, can I take a picture of the tree, and send you a jpeg?

Steven.

o

Please help. I bought my boyfriend a money tree when he moved to his apartment about 6 weeks ago. It is a small plant, nothing big, and sits on the windowsill facing east. It was fine and healthy but in the last two weeks or so some of the leaves are turining yellow brown and are getting dried and falling off. It is watered about twice a week. Is this happening because it is being overwatered or is it something else? Please help as we are not sure what to do to help it.

Thanks

o

Hi! I have an 8ft. Money Tree. I have it in a 12" in diameter pot. It is sitting in a very bright spot in my house, but not direct sunlight. With 38 plants in my house I have to keep the bug problem down. I use a trick my 85yr old Grandma told me about. I take a spray bottle with 3/4 water and 1/4 90% rubbing alcohol and I spray the dirt once a month. If I see any sign of meely bugs I take Q-tips with straight alcohol and rub the meely bugs off, Or in the summer put the plant on the deck, and let nature take care of the bugs. My Money Tree was about 3ft. tall when I bought it about a year and a half ago. I haven't had any leaves drop off unless I underwatered it. I also like to mist my plants in the summer about once a week. Not that I always get around to it, but it's a good idea. : ) I hope this has helped. I know it can be frustrating to keep our green friends happy at times, but so rewarding when we do!!!

o

Steven, sorry I didn't see this sooner..Of course, please post a picture..That's the best way to determine problems, if any exist..Or just to show your baby..we all like looking at others' plants..

Cmed..how's your b/f's Money TRee doing now? Has it improved? Sometimes they need acclimation, being in a new home.
What size pot is it in? You mentioned watering twice a wk..that may be too much..It really depends on 1. sun, 2. soil, 3. pot size. Did you or he repot after getting it home? if so, what size pot was it in, and in now? What material is pot? Clay, plastic?

Angel, I bet your Pachira is stunning..8'..I can't believe it's grown so much in a yr..Especially, considering it's basically a slow-growing plant. What type of fertilizer are you useing? Anything else? Toni

o

Nope his tree hasn't improved at all. It's still losing leaves. It's been watered when the soil seems to be dry, which is about twice a week. We put it into a new pot after i brought it over. It's a clay pot about 6 inches tall and the dirt area diameter's about 4.5 inches. The plant's about 20 inches tall. When i bought it is was just in one of those plastic pots that have the drainage holes on the bottom, slightly smaller then what we put it in now.

Should we be misting it or should we buy a certain type of fertalizer to put into the soil? Neither of us are really any experts on plants, so any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Christine

o
Dry-rotted trunks on money tree

I have a money tree that has one (out of 5) trunks that is very healthy and the other four trunks are completely dry. This makes my tree look unattractive. What can I do to remove these (4) trunks without killing my tree. I would appreciate any advice, as I would love to know how to do whatever I need to correctly. Thanks very much.

o

Help! I have a money tree that came from like Walmart, and is in an unvented clay pot. I think some of the trunks are rotting, but what can I do to stop this seeing as where I cannot water it from the bottom as was suggested earlier in posts, and also once my trunks have begun to rot..help!

o

I received a money tree about two months ago but only watered it every other week. I think my tree is dying. The trunks look brownish and one of them is mushy. The leaves are yellow and falling off. Two of the leaves have black spots on them and one or two leaves have holes in them. Does that mean there is a bug or worm in my tree? Is there any way to bring my little friend back to life? Should I cut off the trunks that are bad? What should I do, I desapartely want to save my tree? HELP!

o

Yes, cut off or remove the trunks that are bad!
You *might* be able to salvage the plant....but it all depends on how rotten the roots are.
Choose a smallish pot, mix up a soil that has good drainage and as little peat moss as
possible. Clean the roots, pot the healthy trunk/s, and then resist the urge to water for
about a week. These plants don't like to be drowned - they like to be flooded, drained,
and allowed to dry. Of course, the more leaves your plant has and the warmer its conditions,
the more water your plant will require. Instead of watering weekly, or by any schedule
really, simply monitor the soil moisture level. These plants also have a dormant (or
semi-dormant) period where they won't require as much water. Good luck.

Josh

o
water and soil

Hi -- just wondering -- what are peoples' opinions in regards to potting for a money plant? Someone here says "no soil" -- do others agree?

Also -- very basic question -- Could someone describe the proceedure for "watering from the bottom"? I've never done this before.

Finally, what are peoples' opinions on misting? Is it definitely something that should be done, or does anyone think that this is unnecessary?
Thanks so much,
A.

o

1). Limit the organic content in your potting medium, and avoid peat moss.
Increase drainage with products like bark, Turface, Perlite, small, uniform gravel, charcoal, or very course builders' sand (without salts in it) so that oxygen can get to the roots and so that water doesn't sit in the bottom of the pot.

2). Bottom-watering *is not recommended* for most situations. It can be useful, for instance, if a peat-based potting soil has become too hard/dry to absorb water and you need to free the old soil before re-potting. You simply set the pot in a sink or container full of water until the water is wicked up through the bottom of the pot and the top of the soil becomes moist.

If your soil is draining properly, you really shouldn't need to bottom water.

3). Misting for Pachira? I don't think it's necessary.

If you do have a plant that likes or requires high humidity, you should set the pot on top of a tray of water and stones. The stones should hold the pot above the level of the water.

Josh

o

I have three braided money tree plants that suggest keeping the soil moist but I have found that two of the trees leaves are turning yellow. The other trees trunk has a white coating around it and a white mist on the soil and tiny white minute bugs. What do I do?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 9:13

Keep the soil moist - not soggy. Plants don't 'drink' water, they absorb it molecule by molecule from the surfaces of soil particles and vapor in soil pores. Allow the soil to become dry to your touch at the drain hole. When this happens, the plant can still extract moisture from what feels like a dry soil to you. When you water, water thoroughly so plenty of water exits the drain hole. This will clear the accumulated salts from the soil (the "mist" & white on the trunk". It should clear up whatever larvae are in the soil, too. If it doesn't, stop back here & someone will help with a solution.

Al

o

Hi there! I have had a money tree for almost a year now, and it has flourished! I mist it once or twice a week...and only water it maybe once a month. A couple of weeks ago, a couple of leaves turned browny white...and fell off, but since it seems to be doing great. But I noticed it sprouted some strange green lily pad looking like thing from the base. Any idea what this could be. I also noticed the other day a funny smell coming from around the tree....when I looked more closely, I saw little green things growing around the base. I picked at a couple of them, and realized that's where the smell is coming from. Any ideas what this could be? The tree itself is doing beautifully!! But it smells funny...and almost garlicky like smell!

o

The have had my tree for 7 months and it is about 2 ft tall. Right now it is in a 10 inch diameter pot with no draining hole(it does have rocks in the bottom but not many at all; about an inch). Recently 2 of the 5 stocks became mushy with a white mold around the trunks. This is when I put the tree in the new pot it is in and removed the worst of the 2 to try and bring him back to life. I'm guessing I overwatered and maybe need a draining smaller pot??? I love this tree and want to get it healthy again so any helpful advice? Thanks!!

o

Hello..I hvae a money tree that is about two and half feet tall.i water once a week..it sits in from my west facing doorway..well it loves it ther until summer.the leaves atrted to turn yellow and brown .i went back to store and the told me to pick leaves off..so i did..THAT WAS BAD..I thought maybe that it was to hot in that spot so i moved to the bedroom in south window..THAT WAS EVEN WORSE...i still water once a week and have moved it back to its oringinal spot..it now sit with no leaves and the trunks and gone a bit soft..any ideas or do i send it to live with the adams family..:(

o

"Soft" is bad news, I'm afraid. I'd start looking for my next Pachira, if I were you. That said, there's always a chance of survival....but without leaves, and with a soft trunk, it sounds as though the rot has set in.

During the summer, I leave my Money Tree on a southwest facing deck, shaded by maples. During the winter, I keep it in an east-south facing window...as close to the glass as possible. During the growing season, I water once every 3-5 days, depending upon conditions. During the winter, I water every 7-10 days. I water thoroughly, enough to flush the soil of salts (as Al mentions), then I drain the excess from the drip-tray - and I wait until the soil has become dry again.

My Money Tree, below, as of a couple days ago.
I grew this from a leaf that was knocked off of my brother's plant. I guess it's three or four years old now.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Josh

o

Good afternoon,

I got a money tree as a gift when I first moved into my new condo in CT. It was just turning to summer and all was fine. The tree looked fantastic. It had plenty of green leaves and looked very healthy. I misted it once a week, and watered teh plant once a month and all seemed good. The last 2 months, all of the green leaves have fallen off. Two new sets of leaves looked like they were growing and gonna be good, but now they are drooping and look like they are going to die too. And nothing new seems to be sprouting. What do you suggest to do?? The soil seems dry, but I obviously don't want to overwater it. Please help!

o

Can I recover my Money Tree that has lost all but 3 leaves at the top?
I am very superstitious and relate the situation to money. So I am determined to fix it and make it flourish.
Here's my story; I would really appreciate your help:

I have a Money Tree that is about 6 and a half feet tall.
It sits in an 8 inch diameter, 7 inch tall pot on the floor, and it is about 5 feet from my big office Window which faces East/Northeast.
I've had it under a grow light for about a year and a half with great results.
When I would water it about once a week and give it miracle grow about once a month it grew phenomenally 3 or 4 sprouts of leaves every 3 weeks. The leaves toward the middle of the base also were going strong while many new ones would start at the top.
At around September last year, I noticed the last sprout of leaves suspend their growth and sit there, with baby green leaves a half a centimeter long, still green and alive looking ready to grow, but not grow, now four months later.
In October, I was away for 2.5 weeks and relied on my assistant to water the plants once a week. All the other plants in the office are doing extremely well by the way. Just the money tree has problems now. When I came back mid October, I saw it had fallen over probably because the pot soil became so dry it couldn't stand up. I think my assistant watered once about a week and a half after I left. To prevent this from happening again, the original pot was about 6" x 6", and I repotted it (very delicately, didn't even touch the roots) into the current 8" pot. From this point forward, it has not grown leaves, although I noticed in the previous winter that it slowed down growing, so I was not as worried. Every 2-3 weeks several leaves would fall slightly dried and slightly yellow/brown at the edges. Now it is down to 3 leaves at the top, and that September sprout of baby leaves that never grew at the top, and I've noticed from Garden Web Clippings Forum how important it is not to over water and I saw that the soil has been too wet a couple of days after I watered. I felt the base of the trunk giong down to the roots and it does not feel soft at all. I wanted to dry it up and replace the soil with fresh potting soil to avoid potential rot, so I dug with my fingers around the base and down to the roots, removing all the wet soil without any harm to the roots. I left it out on it side, roots exposed for about an hour or so to evaporate the extra moisture and repotted it with fresh new potting soil. I did not add water yet because the new soil is pretty moist. I plan on adding a little water (like a cup) around the base in a couple of days.

Since you posted a comment to Madgey back in September that "there's always a chance for survival", and that situation sounded worse --with a soft trunk, and no leaves, I hope that my situation has a better outlook. I also took the last several leaves that just fell off (still mostly green) and put them in water on the window sill since I saw your comment on how you grew yours from s broken leaf. I put it back under the grow light that it used to like so much and I am not going to water till the soil feels dry again. And I plan not to allow any water to lay at the bottom or in the drip tray.
JD

o

On the surface, it sounds pretty hopeful, John.
At least you have some leaves left! And a firm trunk is essential.

My Pachira slowed growth for quite a while after I re-potted. They don't like their roots to be exposed. A lot of roots die in the open air, and your plant could be severely shocked. They seem to be resentful, sulky plants as it is.

Now, most importantly, What kind of potting soil did you use?

If it was bagged peat-based potting soil, it will probably stay too wet. Then, if you allow the soil to dry appropriately, it will be too hard to re-wet the next time you water.

So I'd do a second re-potting into a faster-draining medium composed of perlite, pumice, gravel, small bits of bark, and charcoal. Peat-moss soils hold too much water and will rot roots. With a fast-draining mix, you can water thoroughly and deeply without fear of root rot. This has the added benefit of flushing chemical salts that build-up in potting mixes.

Can you post a pic of the soil, by chance?

Josh

o

I purchased one Braided (5 trees interwoven) Chinese Money Tree The tree is 4 feet high and in a pot 9"X8" size. The soil is sealed with a layer of small pebbles on the top of the soil. I was watering 2 cups of water every fort night. The tree look like it is dying because the leaves are falling and some leaves are yellowish and withered. Can some one please advise me how to water in what interval? What other care is required? I kept the tree inside my living room and is not having direct light from out side.

o

Get those pebbles off the soil first. They'll pry up with something like a butterknife. A bit of warm water will help dissolve the glue if the pebbles are stuck fast.

Secondly, the tree should be near a window, receiving light.

For more advice, post a picture of the tree, as well as the type of soil it is in.

Josh

o

Is there still hope?
Since the 3-remaining leaves have now fallen, and all thats left is a trunk. And I am redoing the soil formula according to you advice. Do you think there is still hope?
Here's a picture of a small sprout at the top of the trunk that is still the same as it was in September. Should I consider splicing it at this point and putting it in water? Your advice is greatly appreciated. And remember I am superstitious.
Thank You

Here is a link that might be useful: 4-month old sprout still the same. All that's left on trunk

o

My Pachira hasn't grown at the top since autumn, either.
Is the trunk firm, top to bottom? Or is the trunk soft down at the soil line?

If the trunk is still firm, there's still hope.

Josh

o

Yes the trunk is firm, top to bottom. No soft spots, all the way to the base, soil line, and roots. It just looks like a joke with no leaves, and just that baby sprout at the top only a centimeter in size. It's a 6 foot trunk with no leaves or branches. How am I going to get it to sprout more leaves? And branches in the future.
Just one more thing. Take a look at the attached photo that shows the origial soil that I used a couple of weeks ago. See the roots; do they look in good shape? They are all firm. ....Still hope? I don't think I damaged the roots - or did I make them to bare during repotting? Do I go get your recommended soil ingredients today, or do I consider splicing the top green part of the trunk under the little sprout and putting it in water to grow new roots.
Thank You,
JD

Here is a link that might be useful: Root and Soil

o

Josh, your Pahira looks very much like mine 8 months ago except mine grew over 6ft., and now has no leaves. Please take a look at yours and see if there are ridges on the top half of the main stem. The ridges look like it may be drying out but it still feels firm. Do you think that is an indication that it is starting to dry out and die? Or is this normal? If not, should I consider splicing the top part and putting it in water to make a new plant if possible? (don't know where to cut) --or hang in there and hope it will grow? Remember I am very superstitious. Since this started, I've been loosing money!
2-weeks ago:Same sprout 4-months - no bigger Now:Money Tree - no more leaves just a sprout and stem-trunk

o

John, thanks for providing detailed images.

I'm no expert - I want that to be perfectly clear!
My basic knowledge of this plant comes only from having grown one.

That said, the growth-tip on your plant looks healthy; and, unless someone with better advice comes along, I'd say 'hang in there.' The plant has no leaves, so you SHOULD NOT be watering! Check the soil every 10 days - add just enough water to moisten the soil once it is dry. Do not keep the soil moist. Also, put the plant close to a window - although it has no leaves, the warmth will help the soil dry, and the light will hopefully cue the plant to regenerate.

However, there is the issue of the heighth of the plant, which must eventually be addressed. It seems to have grown rapidly, as you confirm, perhaps in search of light. So the question becomes: Do you want a plant this tall with sparse leaves?

If you prune this plant down to just above the brown woody trunk, it *might* resprout. You could attempt to grow a new plant from the pruned tip cutting, as well.

Before you do anything, though, research propagation technique for Pachira - Malabar Chestnut. I will do the same, and then I'll report back to you.

If you do prune your plant, you'll want to know the best time of year (which is exactly the piece of information that I'm lacking!).

Josh

o

Hi, I am hoping someone can offer me some advice.
I got a money tree very similar to the one pictured above only mines way smaller.
I got it for christmas and at the time it had many leaves on it and looked great.

I took it to work with me (can't have it at home cats will eat it) and I have it sitting right near a huge window. However, its very cold in our office usually and right now in the eastern part of the US its winter so its pretty cold at all times.

I noticed some little flea looking bugs on it a few weeks ago but I dont see any on it now. I'm trying hard to not overwater but i dont know if i have the right kind of planter for it.

Recently almost all of the leaves curled under and got crispy so i cut them all off.
Now all i have is just the one leaf with the one baby right next to it on one trunk. Everything else looks rather sorry.
Well here are some photos maybe they will explain better than me.

Any advice what I can do to help my plant?

Thank you

o

I don't know what to say, osirus.
The pot looks good (in fact, I really like it!), the potting medium looks good, too....and yet the plant seems to be dehydrated. How often are you watering? Once a week, at this time of year, is too much. Unless the room is very warm (or supplemented with light), I check my Pachira every 10 days or so. I add only a little water (until it appears in the saucer) - not the full-on drenching that it receives during the growing season.

If you are worried about pests on your plant, perhaps you could mist/spray your plant with a mix of water and alcohol (50/50). Some folks even add a drop of non-scented, plain soap. After a few minutes, spray your plant with regular water (as a rinse). You can repeat this mild treatment every few weeks, until your pests disappear or your plant dies ;) Just kidding!

Josh

o

I am just checking the soil to see when its dry and if it is I water, I dont do it on a set schedule or anything.
I have noticed that the water seems to run out of the bottom almost immediately and Im not sure if the plant is getting any of the water really. And I'm also afraid that I have watered too close to the bark!
Perhaps I'll try to save this one and if not I'll try again using your advice.

Thank you so much :)

o

The water might be running through the potting medium rather quickly, as you say, so I suggest that you water several times at a sitting, with just a few minutes in between. You might try luke-warm water, too.

If you want total saturation, you could immerse the whole thing in water, until air bubbles stop appearing from the potting medium. Then, lift the container out of the water so that it drains entirely. I don't usually recommend this method, but with your fast-draining medium it might be the ticket to get water to the roots.

Good luck!

Josh

o

Hey Josh,
my tree is totally dead now :(
I have no use for the pot now so if you're interested I will send it to you for free because of how helpful you have been to me and every one else.
Please email me at osirus226 at hotmail.com and send me your address and I'll mail the pot to you.
I don't know how to email you directly so I had to post here ;)

Kelly

o

I am having difficulties with my Pachira. I bought him while living in San Diego and he thrived quite well. I moved home to Oklahoma this December and brought him with me. Since then he has been sickly. Leaves started discoloring and would then fall off. I worry that he has root rot or moving him from San Diego to Oklahoma City was too much of a shock. I realized the other day the heater was blowing on him and he was near the rear door of the house which is often opened and closed daily. He is now in an area away from drafts and a heater vent. If I could get the little guy to hold out till spring here I think he'd be okay... but if he has root rot I know there isn't much I can do. The roots do not feel as strong now as they did before leaving San Diego. Of course, not ever having cared for a plant before... I have no idea what to look for :( Please help. I am posting some pics and welcome any responses! Thank you in advance

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The first thing that these plants need is a fast draining soil (Bonsai soil mix) to help prevent root rot, flush out salts from around the roots and improve the oxygen in the soil.Gently Rinse off all the soil from around the roots and re pot it with a good draining Bonsai soil. With a Bonsai soil mix you will need to increase the times you water maby as often as once a day.Also with Bonsai soil you need to fertilize once a week with house plant fertilizer at 1/2 or 1/3rd the recomended mixing instructions (always soak the pot in water till bubbles stop coming up then let the water drain out a few minuets and then add your delutied fertilizer by pouring it in from the top of the pot, this helps flush the salts out of the soil and prevents root burn from the fertilizer)Give these plants lots of light I have a fluorescent 48" 2 bulb shop light with standard cool white bulbs running 12 hours a day over mine, with a couple other Bonsai. Hope this helps you all out .

o

I bought a small braided Money Tree about a month ago. It has looked great and sprouted new leaves but I just noticed a few leaves turning yellow and then brown at the tips. I was so worried about overwatering at first that I think I underwatered it because one trunk shriveled at the bottom. Now I am afraid the yellow-brown leaves means I am overwatering. Am I right? Also, the soil seems very tightly packed...should I re-pot and loosen the soil? If so, how do I do this without breaking the roots? Thanks for any help!

o

I sometimes have a hard time explaining things so I will do my best.
To re pot you take one hand and hold the plant around the trunk or base of the plant. Turn it up side down and with the other hand squeese the pot turning it as you do this to help loosen the roots and free it from the pot.
Once free from the pot carefully rince the soil off the roots with a hose, a soft spray works well for most plants.
Get as much of the old soil off the roots as you can.
As far as new soil I have found that my money trees work well in a fast draining (bonsai)soil,Black Gold makes a mix that has been working well for me.
Add some soil in the bottom of the pot make sure to try and set the tree back to the same height as it was in the pot before you started. Add soil and gentily pack it down as your adding soil around the tree, when you think your done watter the tree really good. The soil might settle so add some more soil if it does , continue this till the soil no longer settles and is at the origional height it was before you took the tree out of the pot.
Now your tree is re potted and watered good , set it in a slightly shady area for about a week to help the roots get used to the new soil.
If you used a Bonsai soil you will need to water more often, maby once a day depending on humidity and temp.
Thats about it I think ,, Good luck and hope your tree gets better

o

Hi,

Just found this forum today because I'm trying to find an answer to the Money Tree I purchased for my Husband for Fathers Day.

I bought it at the local OSH store, it's about 3 1/2 feet tall and was lush with dark green leaves when I purchased it. We placed it in our den where there is alot of indirect sunlight. I first had it in the corner on top of his desk. The leaves are now a pale green and some have some spots chewed in the leaves but they are the older leaves of when I bought it. It has a ton of new growth, but not sure why the leaves have became so light.

I'm thinking I did over water. I water it every Monday in the sink so it can drain, but the mistake I think I've made is watering from the top, completely saturating the soil and let it drain for a few hours before placing it back in the den.

From reading all the above comments, I also made the mistake of pouring the water over the trunk base thinking like a normal tree would love it and absorb all the water through it's roots. Silly me, now the base of the trunk just above the soil appears to be "peeling" like after a bad sunburn. The stalks are still really firm, no mushy at all.

So it's been a month now and not sure if there is anything further I need to do or just let it dry out and not water once a week. I know now to let it soak up from the bottom. Is it ok to do this in the sink, and fill the sink about 2" and let the soil absorb from the bottom? And if so for how long?

It is still in the original pot I bought it in as you can see in the picture. I really wanted to purchase a large clay pot to have it as a nice display in our home being it's such a large tree, I thought it would look funny in a little pot! Guess I can't do that now :( but at any rate the pot it's currently in is 9" in diameter and 10" tall. There is only about 2" or less of exposed soil, how do I mist this without getting water on the trunk base?

I've also now moved it in front of the window which which faces east & gets morning sun but never gets direct sunlight shining in and then has good light all day.

With holes in the older leaves, do I have a bug? I don't see anything on the tree itself or the leaves munching, and no holes on any of the new growth.

In all the pics...the leaves are actually lighter in person. A pale greenish yellow, if that helps. Any help would be appreciated :)

o

Josh, just wanted to thank you for your advice. My over 6 foot Pachira is back on track. It went "4-months" from no leaves at all on a 6 foot stump in February to new sprouts (in photo's below) that started in June! February, March, April, and May was nothing but a stump! Then surprise! Little sprouts started in June (I guess the mark of the growing season at the east coast in NJ anyway). As for your pruning advice... It was the best. I cut down the 6-foot stump "Half Way" down to about 3-feet, and gave up on it when nothing happened for over a month. I would check the soil once a week and brought it back to moist by filling the fast draining soil mixture (also per your advice) with water, and left it alone in a well lit easterly window view -- with plant light assistance as well. After a couple of months I thought I'd get and re-pot another Pachira with it. and start braiding it onto the bare 3-foot stump since it was still firm. The new one took off with excellent growth. I also use miracle grow with the water every 2-3 weeks.
Here is a picture from a month ago, and here is a picture today. Many Thanks Josh.

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/JDaglis/IMG_0031.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/JDaglis/IMG_0032.jpg[/IMG]

You know what's interesting: Relative to the Stock Market Conditions... The leaves fell off when the DOW went under 8000 for the first time in September-October, and when the DOW went back up over 8000 toward May my money tree started performing again!

Just One Concern. Do you think its sprouting new leaves too high at 3.2 feet?

Kind Regards

JD

o
Oops missed the Photos

New Sprouts
Photobucket

o

Oh, wow! John, that's about the best news I could have read this morning! What a treat, and thank you for the update! It's also good to know that these trees can be pruned effectively....even without leaves!

Well, my own Pachira took a beating this summer.
It began leafing out on schedule, then in June we were hit by a powerful rainstorm that knocked branches out of the maples and down onto the Pachira. As a result, the leaves are battered and ugly. After that, I decided I'd pinch off the growth-tip, hoping that perhaps I'd get some branching (since I was too cowardly to chop the tree in half). A few weeks later, the growth-point re-emerged.

As Al mentioned, now is the time to fertilize. The healthier we can get our plants during summer, the better they'll handle the winter.

Thanks again, John.

Josh

o

Got a gift of a money tree plant (16 inches or more) and it was doing great, however,the leaves are turning yellow (not all the way) and dropping off & then the stem comes off. I let it almost dry and they give it a good bit of water and do the same each time.I have it on a stand in front of my window (facing north)gets light all day (no full sunlite).I don't want to lose the plant but don't know where to go from here. Do I put it outdoors in 1/2 day sunlite (it's over 1 yr. & never been outdoors) or do I leave it indoors. I don't have an area where it would get full sun or 1/2 day sun. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
'

o

Hello!
Yellow leaves usually mean over-watering.
Can you provide a picture?

More information is needed:
What is the weather like where you live?
What type of soil is the Pachira in, and how large of a container?

During the summer months, I put my Pachira on a deck that receives partial sun all day.
However, you must not put your Pachira into the sun immediately. The leaves will burn.
If your tree has never seen sunlight, you must gradually introduce it to the sun.
Once it has adjusted, the Money Tree can handle lots and lots of sunlight. I wait
until the Maple Trees have leafed out over my front deck (sometime in May, typically),
then I use their shade to filter the sun for my Pachira.

One of the best things you can do for your Money Tree is to pot it in a well-draining soil.
The number one cause of decline among Money Trees is root-rot from potting-soils that stay
wet for too long.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh, I live in FL upper tip and it is now turning warm (hi 70's & low 80's).I wish I knew how to send you a pic,sorry. My plant is 24 inches from top to bottom,in a pot 5 in hi and 6 wide.I put it in a larger pot as the one I got it in was very small. I used the orig soil plus miracle grow potting soil when I repotted. The trunk is not large and looks good,however my leaves look like lilbumbles post up on 7/17/09. No holes.I do water my plant from the top of the soil, if this is not correct, please let me know.No my tree has never seen sunlite, just light all day.To see if my plant needs watering I place my finger in the soil and if it feels dry then I water, usually once a wk. or longer.I repotted the plant about a month and a half ago. I see where you state using bonsai soil, where would you get this from? I live in a small town, the largest being about 45 miles from where I live, but I do go in about 2 times a mo. Thanks again. If you need any more info, let me know.

o

Listen to Josh. His advice seems to be saving my own pachira from the trash can.

I made a potting soil for my small tree using the following this advice:
"Try a mix of 1 part Perlite, 1 part potting soil, 1 part small stones, and 2 parts bark."

I gathered the different ingredients from my environment (tiny (seriously TINY) stones from a sandy patch, bark from the mulch outside my apartment). I only bought the perlite and I happened to have some potting soil on hand. It's been about two weeks, and my tree seems to be recovering. It had lost almost all its leaves, but now it is growing two or three new "hands".

Good luck and don't quit.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pachira thread

o

I have my braided money tree in "succulent potting soil" for actual succulents i tend to mix this like 60/40 with a mix of course sand and perlite, but for my money tree it seems pretty much fine as is... I soak it every time the soil is dry to the knuckle of my pointer finger - in winter this is like every two weeks and in summer like every week I think...
I got mine when it was tiny and its now close to 5 feet, it seems to like sun but i havta put it outside gradually or it gets a sunburn (clearly needs a higher SPF, haha)
anyway, hope that helps!!

-Willow

o

Hi all, back again.I repotted my money tree in a larger pot and used succulent potting soil. I also used perlite with the mixture and it seems to me that the soil dries faster than when I had regular potting soil w/perlite. Anyhow I thought that repotting would help,but guess it didn't. Quite a number of my leaves turned yellow and fell off, then soon after the stems that held the leaves fell off. I did notice that new leaves (not much) are starting to come thru. I am leary of watering my plat since I've used the perlite (more than before in my old pot), the soil seems dry out faster, therefore making me want to water but am, as I've said, leary. Again any suggestions?

o

Don't worry about leaf-loss....
As long as there's new growth, it should pull through!

Have you fertilized lately?

Josh

o

Generally my 3-trunk braided Money Tree looks healthy. It is about 4 feet tall and has dark green leaves with fairly consistent new growth. However, sometimes all of the leaves on a stem turn yellow. When this happens I have removed the stem from the tree at the last split point. It doesn't happen very often, but this last time I turned the leaves over and noticed that there are small drops of a clear, sticky liquid along the spine on the bottom. I am afraid this is indicative of a pest or disease and if so I would like to treat it while my plant is still healthy. Any suggestions as to what is going on? I know the yellow leaves usually indicate over-watering, and I have tried to be conscious of this. The sap-like droplets make me suspect something else is going on, though. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

o

The clear, sticky droplets are probably just sap...
which is something I've noticed on my Pachira and on many others.
It can be washed off if it bothers you, or if it is attracting pests....but I honestly
don't think it's a problem, and I don't do anything about it.

It *could* be pest-related, but there'd probably be other signs as well.

Yellow leaves can indicate over or under watering, as well as too little or too much Nitrogen.

To help determine which, let me ask you two questions:
What kind of soil and container is the Pachira growing in?
And what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Josh

o

Hi Josh. Thanks for the information on the liquid. It's reassuring to hear that it likely IS just sap. The pot is appx. 10" in diameter, 9" tall, closed bottom. It came that way and unless the plant takes a turn for the worse, I don't really want to add the stress of re-potting. As for fertilizer, I have been adding a very small amount of Miracle-Gro all purpose plant food dissolved in the water about once a month. As I said, it's generally pretty healthy looking.

o

Hey!

If the pot doesn't have any drainage holes, I can almost guarantee that the yellow leaves
are the result of too much moisture.

Another issue, however, will be accumulating fertilizer salts. Excess salts in the soil will
often show up as yellow and brown spots on the leaf, rather than the uniform yellow typically
seen with over-watering.

Right now, drainage is the number one priority.

Josh

o

OK. I will look at getting a new pot. Does the 10" diameter x 9" tall proportion sound good? A more accurate description of the plant than the one above is that it has five braided trunks, and with the pot on the ground stands a little under 5'. Also, should I wait until winter sets in and the plant heads to a dormant period due to the shorter sunlight before re-potting? Or maybe right before spring, when it is just about to become active again? Does it matter? Thanks again for all of your help.

o

The dimensions for the pot sound just fine.

I would recommend that you simply slip the root-ball into a container with drainage now,
and then perform a full re-potting (removing all the old soil and pruning the roots) next May/June.

The only caveat is this: when you unpot the Pachira, you might find rotten roots....
in which case you'll need to perform an emergency re-potting/removal of dead roots.
So you'll want to have some potting mix at the ready. You never know what's lurking below.

If the potting goes successfully, and there's no rot, then you'll want to thoroughly water your
Pachira in its new container. Since you're keeping the old soil for the time being, you'll want
to flush it of fertilizer salts and other build-up. Then, at the next watering, you'll begin to
fertilize again - at quarter or half-strength, with the intention of fertilizing more often.

The drainage alone will radically improve the vitality of the plant.

Josh

o

OK. Here's where I have to admit my ignorance. How will I be able to tell if the root is healthy or not? And what kind of pruning would I do to healthy roots?

o

Oh...you'll be able to tell ;)

Healthy roots of Pachira are tan/cream/yellow/white in color....
unhealthy roots are brown, black, or grey mush...and they'll have a rotten smell.

When you prune healthy roots, you remove the older, larger roots.
This encourages new, fine roots to grow, and these perform most of the water
and nutrient delivery for the plant. With root-pruning, you can ensure that
most of the roots are in a perpetually juvenile state.

When I re-pot a plant, I'm none too gentle with the roots. I untangle all the roots
to see exactly what I'm working with, then I remove the long or large roots that don't have
many secondary fine root-hairs. And by "remove," I mean yanking off whole tangles of roots
with my hands. If the plant is very rootbound, or if the roots are simply old, large,
and tough, a saw or a knife (at least) might be required.

I linked to the re-potting Thread for my Pachira.
There's a good before and after of very bound roots...
followed by a hand-pruned root-ball.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachira (Money Tree) - Spring re-potting pics

o

I have found these trees like higher light than most people give them. I do grow mine in a bright East window during winter, but in spring/summer it gets full sun, with some light shade - do this gradually to avoid leaf burn. With higher light, these trees grow rapidly. I usually prune them back in Spring.

Jane

o

Hi Josh. So, the good news is that my money tree did NOT have root rot. I just re-potted it and neither saw or smelled any of the signs you said to look for. The bad news is, that means something else IS killing my tree. Any ideas? The leaves turn yellow, some brown spots on them, and die. There is a string of sticky beads of some liquid along the spine on the bottom of many of the leaves. Beyond this, I have no idea.

o

Hey, there! Welcome back!
My Pachira has strings of sticky beads along the leaf-spines, as well. It hasn't killed mine yet. ;)
Even the leaf that I rooted has the sticky/clear beads on the underside of the leaf-spines.

Now that you've re-potted, you'll probably notice an increase in vitality.
I give my plants a quarter or half-strength dose of fertilizer (liquid) about two weeks
after a re-potting.

Where is the Pachira now located? Is it near a window?
I have mine as close to an eastern window as possible right now.

Josh

o

Hope People are still reading this. I happened upon this page while browsing the site. I cannot believe how many people do not know what their money tree problems are or the correct care needed for them. I will give as much help as I can. To start off, I own 6 different money trees. The oldest is 8 years old. In the beginning I had my ups and downs with my plant but I did ask many questions before taking it home. It was purchased here in our Chicago China Town at a tiny little shop. The people there have great knowledge on this wonderful plant. When I brought my tree home, I left it in it's small pot for the first few months. I have transplanted it every couple years. It does NOT need a HUGE pot but the pot will obviously need to get bigger as it grows. It needs a well drained soil. I ALWAYS use Miracle Grow Potting Mix. It's not soil so it doesn't get muddy. As far as watering, I water every 3-4 weeks. A nice good soak. The plant needs to go completely dry. The plant will let you know if you are over or under watering. If the leaves turn yellow/brown and fall off, this means that you are over watering. If new leaves grow crinkly looking, this is a sign of under watering. As the leaves get older, I have always pulled them off when they start to change color. Any dying leaves get pulled off too. I have had a plant where I lost one of the trunks. The rest of them grew great! If you have a plant that has been over watered, just leave it. Let it dry out. Chances are it'll be fine. I see so many people stressing one thing or another. Light, water, misting, fertilizer. I'll be honest with you, this plant does not need a TON of care. IT is very hardy. You could forget to water the thing for a month and it will NOT die. This is a great plant for someone that travels a lot. My large one is in indirect light and it is just fine. One thing I can also tell you is that this plant does not like extreme heat! DO NOT keep this plant out all summer. Especially when the temps get up into the 90's! I have almost lost a plant because of this. You can mist the plant but it is not necessary. I mist mine only once in a while. Sometimes I don't mist at all. I fertilize once in a great while. Just for the heck of it I started using a special concoction my sister gave me that she buys a a place over here called brew and grow. It's a place that specializes in hydroponics. The bottom line is that this plant is pretty easy to take care of. Just watch out for over watering it. Once a week or every two weeks is just too much.

o

Tina, there's obviously great interest in growing these plants successfully....
as you can tell by the number of responses to this Thread alone. There are many other
Pachira Threads floating around Garden Web, too.

While I agree that these are tough plants, they can be finnicky at times....and they
definitely don't like to sit in potting mix that stays too wet without enough oxygen returning
to the roots.

If you only water once a month, I must suspect that your potting soil is actually holding a
whole lot of moisture.

Josh

o

It does hold moisture but not too much. I do not use soil. My mix is a mixture of Composted Bark, Sphagnum Peat Moss & Perlite. Of course the perlite holds moisture. I use mix like this with all of my plants. Any plant can be finicky and some people just don't have a green thumb but I can totally see the major problem here being over watering. These plants do not need the watering that our normal house plants do. People tend to water these too much. My plants start to have signs of over watering if I water them once every 2 weeks. Money Trees are succulents just like Cacti. It is recommended to use cactus soil and fertilizer for them. You can tell by many responses here that there is a huge over watering problem. I see so many people state that their leaves are turning yellow and falling off. This happens when the plant is over watered. My plants have all grown beautifully and I always water every 3-4 weeks. When you under water these plants, the leaves start to sag and new leaves grow in wrinkly. I believe it is much easier to over water these plants then to under water.

o

Tina, you're the 4th person I've seen/talked to, here on GW, 'who lives in Chicago/Chicago-land area,' this week.

Born and raised in the city, I've never once been to Chinatown.
Over the years, I've heard talk some of the shops/restaurants sells plants.
Do they have rare plants? Citrus? Bonsai, etc? Or common plants one can buy at HD?
Also, are plants young/babies, or mature/tall?

You're right about Pachiras. Neglect is better than too much TLC.
Because I mist religiously, my two Pach's get a mini-shower daily. Whether they need it or not. :)

I have one braided Pachira, the other a standard. Both are underpotted. Been in the same 4" containers 5+ yrs.

Perhaps you can answer a question.

My goal is to raise the 'straight trunk,' 1. tree shape/standard, and 2. caudex/caudiciformiis-like.

Would placing in a larger container prevent the 'bottom' trunk from thickening? Thanks, Toni

Howdy Josh..

o

Hey, Toni!
I think 'time' will be the main factor in fattening up the trunk.

Tina, you're preaching to the choir! ;-)
We're always advising others to water less...and, more importantly, to use a less water retentive mix.
I, too, grow mine in a mix of bark, pumice, and perlite, which dries very quickly but can also be watered
thoroughly without the fear of root-rot.

These trees are from wetlands/flooded areas in South America, and they can handle copious amounts of
water *as long as there is ample drainage* as well. That's the key.

Josh

o

Hi all,
Just reading all these posts I've gotten a lot of good information on caring for my Pachira Aquatica -- but I have a question if anyone can help:

My tree is approx. 15" tall, in a 4" diameter, 3.5" tall terra cotta pot with a single drainage hole in the bottom. It is in bright, indirect light all day, and seems to be pretty happy (have had it for a few months now).

Recently when watering it, I was holding up the pot while waiting for the excess water to drain when I noticed a single root protruding from the bottom of the pot! I assumed it's time to repot the plant, but I've never been very successful at repotting :(

I've purchased a slightly larger (5"x5" square) terra cotta planter with a bottom drainage hole, and based on lots of advice, a cactus & succulent soil mixture, along with a handful of bark mixture.

I'm just looking for advice before I try repotting, as I would be so sad to lose my happy little plant to my own ineptitude!

Thanks for any advice and opinions you might have,
Alexandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the plant and root

o

Hi, Laughingtart,
your Pachira and your Jades look great!
A nice healthy root emerging from the drain hole, indeed.

I've found that re-potting is best done in May, right before the Pachira really hits a growth spurt.
If you live in a warm zone, you can re-pot sooner...

Josh

o

We purchased a braided tree in late January and I think it needs to be re-potted. Any advice on how I should continue the braid, the top is very full now. We have also noticed small flying bugs (I think fruit gnat?) all over our home, but mainly at the root of the braid. Is this normal?

o

Fungus gnats are to be expected with peat-based mixes.
They don't really pose a threat to the plant itself, they're just a nuisance.

To continue the braid, you'll have to bend the tender growth tip and then tie
it in place with something that won't cut into the trunk.

I'd recommend re-potting in May/June.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh.

I did a quick "find" on this page and every post says to AVOID peat. I am worried about the re-potting and trying to read up as much as possible to do it correctly in three weeks. Background... we could not even keep cacti alive!!! Our pachira (named He-She, sounds like Lee-See or Ly-Xi, meaning red lucky money envelope), is thriving in the original fugly plastic tub and soil (purchased at Costco) and probably still has room to grow. Have to take some pics, but the trunk of the braid is not sitting in the middle of the pot, so that's the only reason why I was planning to re-pot (center it in a prettier pot). I can get some cedar blocks to put around the house to try to get rid of the gnats. I am kind of nervous that once re-potted, it will go the route of all other plants that have had the misfortune of my stubborn ideal that I won't kill THIS one.

Pics of pach soon... I'm still debating if I should just leave well enough alone. Would appreciate if anyone would let me know if it needs to be re-potted or continued to braid after you view the pics. Thanks!

o

I am so glad that I found this site! Thank you everyone for your detailed information.

About a month ago we discovered that our money tree of about a year old was covered in this sticky white spots. We went to the plant store where we got it and the lady said that it probably has scale, and that we need to wipe the entire tree down with alcohol pads on a regular basis.

Unfortunately we were on the verge of leaving town for a while so we did not begin right away. After a little while when we got back I started wiping the tree down, but I no longer saw the little sticky spots, however the tree itself felt a little sticky to the touch. The main symptom the tree is showing now is that all of the leaves are very droopy. There are small amounts of discoloration but nothing major.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? After reading this forum and doing some more google searches I am led to believe that the problem might not be scale after all, as the spots where clear white balls not red hard bumps. The pot the tree is in does not seem to be too big, it is the pot we got the tree in from a very knowledgable plant store in town.

Here are some pictures of the tree. Any help would be appreciated. I really like this tree a lot but it is our first so we are new at things like this :)

More pictures:
Closeup 1

Closeup 2

Thank you everyone for your help!

o

Howdy!

How much light does it receive? And what kind of soil is it in?

Secondly, the clear sap is probably normal. If I recall, the process is called guttation.

Josh

o

Thanks for your quick reply! I am not sure what kind of soil it is in, it is in the original pot it came in.

As for light, it sits right next to that window all of the time which is facing east, so it gets a fair amount of sunlight although we are in the city so a lot of it is indirect.

Could it be underwatering? Its possible that the tree has been underwatered as there was some miscommunication between my girlfriend and I as to who was doing the watering.

o

Underwatering is certainly a possibility.

But before you go watering, try this: stick a dowel, chopstick, or skewer deep into the container.
Let it set for a minute or two, and then check it for moisture. If it comes out clean and dry, water.
If it comes out dark, or with debris clinging to it, hold off on watering until the mix is mostly dry.

Given that it's in the original mix, I must assume that the mix is peat-based, which is not good.
Regardless, now is not the optimal time for re-potting, but we can certainly discuss a proper mix.

Let us know the outcome of the "dowel test."

Josh

o

Sorry for my delayed reply.

When I cleaned the tree off I gave it a fair amount of water because i did the "finger" test and could not find any hint of moisture. It has subsequently perked up a lot.

I will try the dowel test when I get home tonight and see where the water level is

o

• Posted by bhee none (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 19:28

I have a money tree, I bought them almost 2 months now.
There leaves started to curl and seems like something chewing in it that make it look ugly. The new leaves that starting to grow, some of them really grow but almost halfof of them just turn brown and dont grow anymore. Is there something I need to do to avoid the damage in there leaves?

o

Hi I am hoping you guys can help. My plant suffered from root rot which I managed to rescue two stems. I left it for a few months to recover from the shock but its still no growing and leaves are starting to yellow. Its not responding to food, I have just bought a more concentrated food to try help it recover and grow again. But I am wondering if it could be the soil I repotted it in, I used a regular house plant soil that said it prevents water logging.

Heres some pics:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/djmichie/86fbcd94.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/djmichie/4db2926b.jpg

o

Hello!

The problem could definitely be related to the choice of potting soil.
With most houseplants, the choice of soil will prove to be the single most important
choice you make. For Pachira - which is a wetland tree - you want a mix that can be
thoroughly watered and then allowed to dry. During the summer, I water and fertilize
my Pachira like a tropical plant, but during the winter I back off on the water and fertilizer
and treat the plant more like a succulent.

Try this: stick a wooden dowel or skewer all the way into the container and use this to
determine how much moisture remains in the soil. If the stick comes out clean and dry,
it's time to water. If dark or damp, don't water. Test again in two days or so.

Another trick to dealing with crappy soils is to jam a wick (synthetic string/fiber)
through a drainage hole, and then allow that to dangle below the container. This will
help empty the moisture in the lower levels of soil.

Josh

o

Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a shot. I repotted it using a catus soil mix I had spare and have come to find this could be due to the damage the root rot caused, there is barely a root ball, only a few small roots remain, I am guessing its still building up its roots and because there is not many left that all the leaves arent getting the nutrion they need? But the root rot was a good few months ago now....

o

Alright, so I bought a money tree about a year or two ago, and haven't re-potted it at all. It was about a foot tall when I bought it but now its about six inches taller. The problem is, when I got it, it came in a nice little orange pot, and was planted in rocks that had been glued together or something. Now, maybe I'm just stupid, but I have no idea how to get the rocks out and cannot put my poor plant into a new pot :(. I'm afraid it will start to have problems if it grows any more. Will it stop growing eventually if it stays in the same little pot??

o

Use a butterknife to pry off those rocks.

The plant won't stop growing. The roots will run out of room in that pot, though,
and eventually the plant will lose vitality and die.

Josh

o

Ahhh yikes! Don't want that to happen. Thank you, I shall save my plant from being stuck in that tiny pot so it doesn't start dying, Because that would be depressing. :(. OHH yes that worked :) i was just too afraid to try to get the rocks off, thank you again :P.

o

Ahhh yikes! Don't want that to happen. Thank you, I shall save my plant from being stuck in that tiny pot so it doesn't start dying, Because that would be depressing. :(. OHH yes that worked :) i was just too afraid to try to get the rocks off, thank you again :P.

o

Can someone help me with my little tree? I have the Pachira Aquatica. I have only had it for a few weeks. It's not very big, maybe 12 inches tall. I have it on my desk at work. My problem is the leaves have black little dots on them, also on the braid trunk, right where the leaves start, there are a few black dots there too. Also I have notice on some of the larger leaves, there are a few light brown spots that are causing the leaves to tear in spots. I have looked at my plant closely and there are no bugs on it. I don't know how to post a picture, other wise I would so you would be able to see what I am talking about. Is there a spray I can put on my tree to help it? Does anyone have any idea what can be wrong? Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.
Trisha

o

Hello, Trisha.
How far is the plant from a window?
Secondly, what kind of soil and container is it in?
Does the container have drainage? How do you water?

Start by cleaning the leaves with a damp paper towel or sponge.
A little lemon juice in water will help clean the leaves, too.

Posting a picture involves uploading to an online host, then linking here.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

My Plant is sitting on my desk which in the middle of the office. We have florescent lighting. The soil is the orginal soil and it looks like it has some kind of fertilizer mixed in. I did notice, it appears that some of the roots are growing above the soil. There is good drainage. The pot it came is sits in another pot. I only water it when it appears to be dry. I watch the leaves also. I have a larger one at home that is doing just great. I bought my little plant at Home Depot and they gave me Miracle Grow Food/Fertilizer Spikes to use.

I will take the plant home with me today and clean the leaves with the paper towel and I will try lemon juice.

By using an online host, do you mean something like photo bucket?

Thanks again for your help, I hope my little plant is alright. :)
Trisha

o

Yep, something like photobucket....

I would not use the fertilizer spikes. I've seen those "burn" plants.

If it's in the original soil, then it is probably holding too much moisture. One way to
determine soil moisture is to stick a wooden skewer all the way into the pot, and then
remove it to check for moisture. If moist, don't water.

Lastly, that just isn't enough light. It needs to be near a window.

Josh

o

Hi,
My Pachira seems to be in the same condition as most of the posts are describing here.
However, there is a difference for which I do not really know how to proceed.
When I noticed that it was over watered , I removed from the pot, covered the roots with paper and left for three days to dry out. I checked the roots and there were many with creamy color which means they were still healthy.

I changed the soil, which now is a blend of bark, perlite and bagging soil. Also I added a lot of pebbles to make sure the soil does not get compacted and allows the drainage.
On the same day I re-potted, I watered from the top making sure the hole at the bottom drained.

Then left it for a week close to a window, but as I live in BC, Canada, rain is mostly what we have in winter, so no risk of sun exposure.

As you can see in the pictures, the leaves which were fine a week ago, now start yellowing and brown at the tips.
I put a skewer today and the soil is dry. I do not want to water again as I watered 7 days ago.
My dilemma is: are these yellow leaves showing lack of water or damage or something else which I cannot identify?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Warm regards,

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture 1 and Picture 2

o
New Money Tree

I just received a Money Tree for my birthday. It is in a 4in. clay pot and is about 12 in. high. I have reviewed the page about the Money Tree on the Garden Web site. You were the one that responded to most of the questions. I took notes about the care, but I am still somewhat confused. There were recommendations for a medium composed of perlite, pumice, gravel, small bits of bark, and charcoal: also Miracle Grow Potting Mix. Which one is the best choice?

The other advice I am confused about is this: How do you actually water? Do you soak the pot in water and then drain or do you water from the top and let the water drain etc. What is the best watering procedure?

I will be leaving for two weeks soon. It seems it would be alright to just leave the Money Tree. It is going to be in a NW window area. Hope that works.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have a 'green thumb..

o

I live in Florida and my money tree leaves are beginning to get a whitish-brown color all of a sudden. I only water it once a week and I have it outdoors in a bright place that gets no direct sunlight. Any help with what is the problem?

I have a picture but am not sure how to get it in the e-mail. Anyone know?

o
Money Tree leaves turning white

• Posted by Rasjj Pacific (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 18:04

I bought a money tree two weeks ago and the leaves are turning white. It is on the north end of the house, planted in the ground and only gets indirect sun. Any suggestions on what to do?

o

This thread has so many posts you will probably get more help if you start a new one. Put a one- or two-word description of the leaves in the title.

Good Luck,

Linda

o

I have the same problem, my braided money tree (Pachira) looks sick. It's growth has slowed considerably, and it's leaves are slowly browning and falling off. It's Spring not Winter so that's not the issue. I dug up the tree to have a look at it's roots to see if they had rotted. What I found astonished me... there was a rubber band strapped around the base of the plant, below the soil, suffocating it. This band must have been put there in it's infancy to make the braids, but now that the tree had grown to about 3ft that same rubber band was cutting off it's water supply and keeping it from growing any further.

If you are having this same problem, check your tree's roots to see if there is a strap or rubber band at the base and cut it off, as soon as you notice an unusual change in it's growth. In my case there was visible bulging around the band, signs that the tree was struggling to soak up nutrients. Hopefully my tree will recover, I may have caught this too late, but in posting this hopefully it's not too late for you.

o

Hello all! Here is a pic of my money tree? I also have the Brown leaves randomly falling off and was told that's ok pull them off when they are ready?! The soil i use is just a regular potting soil. It is in my office with no sunlight just the office lights, is that acceptable. Also I bottom watered it about a week ago and it still hasn't gone dry, I'm worried the roots will start to rot?! Any suggestions?

o

I have heard of them thriving in the office lights but i think it would grow better in natural light

o

Office lights are completely unacceptable for most plants, but certainly Pachira. Indoors, Pachira should be as close to a window as possible. Outdoors, Pachira do very well in partial or mosaic sunlight, although they can handle full sun *IF* the new leaves are grown to maturity in full sun. (Old indoor leaves will burn to a papery white crisp in the sun).

The container is far too large for the plant and the growing conditions (indoors, insufficient light, heavy potting mix). I would down-pot considerably, and replace the potting mix with something free-draining that will allow you to water and fertilize properly.

Josh

o

I have had this plant for at least a year now in my office. I did put it near a window for a little while ago however I thought that was doing more harm to plant because the leaves seemed to be burning after awhile. I also put it in a bigger pot in hopes of it growing bigger because it seemed to stop growing on its old pot. Is there any good soil mix at the stores I could pick up? Any thoughts on bottom feeding? Good or bad? Also I was told to put ice cubes on top of soil and let them melt. Also someone else said coffee grinds on thesil is good too?

o

No ice, no coffee grounds.

Off the shelf, you could probably use an "Orchid Mix" of bark, perlite, pumice perhaps, with as little peat moss as possible. I would still add in rinsed Perlite to the off the shelf mix. Now is a good time to re-pot these plants.

This plant needs light. Whatever happened by the window was not a "burn" from too much light, I'd wager. More likely leaf-loss from overwatering. When these leaves burn, they become a blanched white color and the leaf desiccates so that only the scaffold of the veining remains. It is a very particular response.

At this point, the plant will probably look worse before it gets better.

Josh

o

I bought a money tree about a year and a half ago. It did really well, it was two feet high and grew to four feet, it was plush and healthy. It was in a sunny window and I watered it about every three weeks. We moved and I put it outside on a terrace and left for a vacation for 10 days. I had someone water it. It seemed like it didn't like the direct sun as when I came back, it looked liked the leaves were very dry, almost burnt, so I brought it in. I pruned all the dead leaves, unfortunately all the dead leaves were on one side and my tree is left with one full side and one barren side. How can I get the leaves to grow back on the one side?

o

Well, Kristina, it won't grow leaves back...not like other plants. The only way that I've found to lower the foliage is to actively prune the stems down. New growth then emerges from just below the cut.

These plants prefer outdoor shade if they're coming from indoors. They *can* grow in full sun, but only if the leaves *grew* and *matured* in full sun. Otherwise, the older indoor leaves just burn to nothing.

Josh

o

Would putting in front off a window that gets full morning sun from the sunrise work well or should I put it near another window approximately 90 degrees from that one? Also it was recently re-potted into that pot that you said was too big, ca you re-pot too much??

o

Morning sun is great.
I would re-pot into a smaller container as soon as possible. You're right, multiple re-pottings isn't typically advised, but in this case I think it'll be best for the health of the plant.

Josh

o

Hi,
I have bought many of these plants and learned over the years take out the gravel top and put in a soil that drains like cactus soil, I will always repot when I get the rocks glued on top in a pot with a drain hole put in a shaded area and remember what works for one person may not work for another. My advice is a normal for every one to do but I live in the South I keep my inside but if your climate is cooler you can put them out on your deck till winter/fall.
I still have trouble with some I get but I am not going to let them get the best of my growing knowledge.
Good Luck to all.

o

I have had my braided money tree for almost a year and a half, I have had no problems with it until about 7 months ago. I moved and now it's little branches with the leaves are turning brown and the leaves are wilting and drooping and getting brown spots and dying:( There are parts on the leaves where it is brown that look like the leaves have been eaten or torn. Also I re-potted it about 3 months ago to a larger pot, it went from a 16 in to a 21 in pot, my tree is about 5' 6'' tall, when I bought it it was about 2', I dont know anything about keeping a plant, but it is the first one I have ever had so long and it also has special meaning to me. Please someone help me I dont want it to die! What can I do? I can post a pic if needed. Thank you.

o

Desiree,
this Thread is getting pretty clunky and nearly to its limit. Perhaps you wouldn't mind starting a new Thread and posting the pics there. Just from your description, I can tell you that the plant is way over-potted, and in that volume of soil the roots are most likely suffering (or rotted already). If the trunks are still firm at the soil-line, the plant can be saved (most likely).

Josh

o

I have had this MONEY TREE i rescued from a sale at Home depot about a year ago wheb i first got him he had a few branches growing out from the braided trunk that had some leaves, the turned brown and ALL fell off due to the change of environment. He ended up sprouting new leaves and looking relatively healthy.....until last week.
He usually lives in my massage room where i do the most of my work hence WHY i put him there, over the months i started sticking coins into the gaps between the trunk it became a little offering to the tree, he doesn't get much Sun in the massage room cause it's suppose to be very dramatically lit and usually dim but sometimes i would open a curtain for him to get some Sun shine (he had even started growing this cute little branch outta the bottom trunk!) So as it got warmer i decided to bring all my plants out to the closed in Sun room, It's ALL windowed in - So they could finally get some real sunshine. It started to get really windy and cold later in the evening so i went to go bring the plants back inside and when i saw the tree he was severely sunburned! His leaves were all bleached white!!!! I quickly brought him in back to the massage room to let him heal. And this is where the problems started....
His leaves started to die (which i figured would happen) but the little branches stemming off from the braided trunks started to die and turn mushy, i ended up having to pull one off cause it dried out Completely and the cute baby stalk growing from the bottom turned into a mushy stalk it was dropping over So i cut it off :-( then today while checking on it, even thoe it's been putting out new growth ot seems two of the branches growing outta the braided trunks have turned mushy and soggy and stated sagging even with the new growth growing...i tried to find what too do Online in this case but found NOTHING really helpful so i decided to cut the mushy soggy posts from the branches to where it was healthy in hopes it will heal over and start new growth i tried to seal the cuts with a pat of rubbing Alcohol. I cut as much of the dying sunburned leaves as i could but rather let them die out naturally.
I looked at it today and noticed there some brown spots on the stalks of the branches coming outta the braided trunks, i can't figure out what it's from and if there gonna get mushy and die and I'm utterly afraid! I checked for root rot,bugs, root bound, over watering, under watering...but i can't find anything wrong with it physically. I really need some help that's WHY i joined this site in hopes THAT someone can help ME!

I'll Try to attach some pictures.

Will these branches die too?
Will my whole tree be branchless and die?
What are the Brown spot?
Why did the branches turn mushy and die?
Was cutting off the dead part OKAY?
Will new branches grow out Again from the braided trunks?
Has ANYONE had success with this little tree?
How can i promote new growth to not turn brown and die?
How can i stop my branches turning mushy brown, and why is it doing THIS?

Does ANYONE or can ANYONE answer my questions and please HELP me and My money tree?!?!?!?!

I have since taken all the coins outta the gaps in the trunk in hope he can heal!

o

Here's some more pictures, how do i put more then one picture in a post? Here is where i cut the mushy parts off one of the branches growing outta the braided trunks

o

Here is what the mushy part looked like before cutting it off the branch growing outta the braided trunks

o

Here is the other one that turned mushy that i cut off, any idea why this happened and how i can stop this from Happening and promote New branches to grow outta the braided trunks?

o

This is the current state of the plant

o

This thread is lengthy and quite old, you'd probably be better off starting a new post, so others can access it much easier.

Judging from the last pic, the tops of those branches are burnt too, and dead or dying. I would cut them back to healthy green tissue. When I prune my plants, I use cinnamon to seal the wound(s). Cinnamon has natural antifungal & antibacterial properties.

When moving any plant(s) to an area with more intense sunlight, you have to do it gradually. So they have time to adjust to their new environment. I would place in now in a location that receives plenty of bright indirect sunlight, and scale back on watering it for the time being. Without leaves to support, it won't drink up nearly as much water. Once it starts to grow again, then you can gradually increase your watering it back to normal.

The [hopefully] good news is that I think that your Pachira can pull thru from this ordeal. I say that because it was currently in the process of sending out new growth around the time that this happened, so it should redirect that stored energy into the nearest dormant buds from where it was pruned instead.

The coins shouldn't really be much of a problem, just as long as you weren't soaking the trunk when you watered it (which I doubt you were). But it was a good call to remove them, at least while your money tree recovers.

Good luck with your plant's recovery. I hope it pulls through. :)

EDIT: One more thing I forgot to mention, I would recommend removing any new growth that comes from the bottom of the braided trunks. That way it can focus its resources into sending new growth out only from the top instead. If it were to grow from the bottom, you'd run the risk of it diverting its energy away from the top of the braided trunks, leaving them to wither up and die back.
Even on my Pachira when it's happy and healthy, I always remove any new growth that shoots out from the bottom of its trunks.

This post was edited by ToMMyBoY69 on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 5:37

o

The poor tree has been severely maltreated, unfortunately.
I'm not sure what the prognosis will be at this point. The only hope for it now is to give it more light than it was receiving in the massage room (it was slowly dying in there without enough light). If/when it begins to recover, re-pot into an appropriate potting mix, and begin fertilizing 1 - 2 weeks later.

Josh

o

Actually Josh it was thriving in the massage room very well it had very nice full green leaves energy branch wad full of new growth and it was beautiful! The problems only started when i moved it outside to get some Sun, it was in indirect light, still can't figure out how he got sooo Sun burned?!?!?! But when he got Sun burned it damaged all of the beautiful leaves that were full and the new growth as well. This plant was NEVER mistreated/maltreated at all. Just figured it needed some Sun and i guess i should have waited a bit longer to ensure it wouldn't get burned. It only looks so bad now is because i had pruned back most of the dying and Browning leaves to have it put out more energy into NEW growth.
I'll swipe some ground cinnamon on the places I've cut off dying branches.

Thanks for your help

o

The plant was declining in the massage room, lacking sufficient light (dimly lit, intimate, as you described). Opening a curtain once in a while is simply not enough light to keep a large-leafed plant like a Pachira thriving.

I've sunburned my Pachira, too...it happens. If the plant is healthy from the start, however, it will regrow its leaves very quickly.

So, keep your plant in a bright area, be very careful with watering (since the plant isn't drawing much moisture now due to the lack of leaves), and re-pot around the end of next month.

Josh

o

I did everything you all have advised, now he seems to be completely dead, mushy throughout the braided parts of the stalks and the new growth that was starting at the top of the branches is at a total stop, I actually lost 3 more branches ....so he has 2 left with no leaves and the ones that were starting to grow have stopped and the trunks are now beginning to be squishy where the bark is wrinkling when pushed or touched, maybe my money tree is weird but he seemed to be so much better off in the massage room with the heat and the not so bright light, cause even in indirect lighting he seems to just keep getting worst and worst, thought he would pull thru but after taking a look at him today its really really tough to say :(

o

Yep, unfortunately it was in a serious state of decline, most likely for months.

Josh

o

I bought my money tree last year around the same time as now. It is about 5' tall, it was doing amazing last year through the fall. It almost double the size and happy. Then winter came, the leaves just kept turning yellow and falling off, The new growth was small, skinny and strangely shaped. Now it's thinned out to only 1/3 the size. One main branch is drying from the top down. It's very unhappy.

I also noticed at some time last year there was a fly hatch (hundreds of them), they are very very small black flying insects, seem to be living right at the surface of the soil. Less of them in the winter, still can't get rid of them yet (though much much less in number).

The tree is in a 16" terracotta pot. I notice the pot almost feels sticky, and there seems to be a very fine white-ish cystally/dusty sediment on the outside of the pot. I'm not fertilizing it, not sure what that is?

The tree is by a sunny south west window, it should be enough light. In the winter, the heat was on, maybe it got too dry?

Please HELP!

THANKS!

o

Hello!
Well, it would seem the diagnosis is easy enough :-)
The potting mix is not right for this plant, and it might be over-potted, too (16-inch sounds fairly large). Posting a pic will certainly help clarify.

The fungus gnats are the black bugs, which thrive in peat-based potting mix. I would re-pot the Pachira into a coarse, free-draining mix made out of "orchid bark," pumice, perlite, turface, granite, or other gritty porous ingredients. I've posted a pic of just such a mix in the previous comments in this Thread for a visual.

Right now happens to be great for re-potting these plants - for the next month, in fact. Wash the old mix off the roots, then work the new mix between the roots, leaving no air pockets. Use moistened mix, water the plant in after potting, return the plant to its location, and resume fertilization after 1 - 2 weeks.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,
WOW, THANK YOU for your help & tips!
I will have to get the soil mix from gardening center tomorrow, does that kind of mixture come pre-package? or everything is separate? Could I start with a fine orchid mix and add porous ingredients. I'm in NYC, not too many plant-friendly places :(
I will take a pic of the plant tomorrow in daylight.
THANKS again!
Vic

o

You're welcome :-)
Yes, start with a fine orchid mix (that'll be much easier than tracking down separate ingredients). Add additional Perlite (or Pumice, Scoria if available) to the orchid mix. Then, moisten the mix ahead of time so that the bark is saturated before potting. This will make a fast-draining mix that will need to be thoroughly watered in the Summer.

Josh

o

leaves continue to turn yellow

o

pot has white dusty/crystally sediment

o

tree is now 1/4 the size compare to last summer when the leaves were huge, i couldn't believe how fast it was growing; now it's how fast it's dying. you can see one stalk is dried from the top down.

o

it's still trying to make new leave, but they come out sad!

o

*Well, it's been a long Thread, covering the gamut of Pachira ailments. For newcomers, or readers searching for information on Pachira, feel free to start a new Thread on this subject - no doubt it will be useful to many*

The white minerals on the outside of the pot are of little consequence....after all, they're on the outside of the pot, rather than in the plant or in the potting mix ;-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here