Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spiderplant reverse varigation

Posted by jake579 maine (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 21:07

I purchased a varigated spider plant today, i belive it is reverse varigated because it is green on the edges and white in the middle of the leaves. it has several stalks with new babies forming and i wasnt sure if i should trim them or leave them. wil the babies drain energy from the parent plant if i leave them? any advice on that and anything else I might want to know/consider would be more then appreciated. Thank you so much :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spiderplant reverse varigation

You can leave the babies on As long as they're not too big. If the mother plant ever seems like it is rundown, Weak, or has been declining, you can cut them off to lighten the load on the mother. The ones with green on the outside of the leaf have less chlorophyll to photosynthesize with so bright light is best. Let the soil dry a little between waterings. Spider plants are sensitive to chemicals in tap water so watering with rainwater or distilled should be ok. You can create seed too by pollinating the flowers with a paintbrush. Good luck!

o
RE: spiderplant reverse varigation

Thank you so much!! I've seen some spider plants at our fav restaurant and it has so many babies...both large and small...that you almost can't see the pot anymore....the stems on mine are just over a foot long will those fill out over time? or do the babies just grow on the ends? I'd love to know what to expect from this beast hahaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here