Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Waffle Plant

Posted by Micki777 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 21:21

Which is the best way to propagate it? in water, cuttings covered or root hormone in light soil/soiless mixture.
How much vermiculite can be used?
I read I should have mised 1 part of each, verm, perlite and peat but was cheap and mixed a lot of vermiculite, some miracle grow (for nutrients) and sand for drainage. How does that sound?
I might try a couple different ways.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Waffle Plant

I would wait until spring to try cuttings of this plant. Mine always went dormant during the winter.

o

Pls. NEVER use sand for drainage, it doesn't help & can often hurt.

Sorry, I don't know this plant, so can't suggest the best prop. methods.

You mixed in Miracle Grow what, (noun pls), soil or fertilizer? If you're trying for a 'soilless mix', then pls. leave out whatever Miracle Grow you added, it's defeating the point of the soilless mix.

If you're a newbie (am guessing so) when you follow what you read on a recipe like this, it's best not to improvise until you know more about mixes & growing in containers.

o

I never root stem cuttings in water....unless I am planning on growing that plant in water for its life.

Actually, you can use a wide assortment of mediums to root cuttings, such as vermiculite OR perlite OR sand OR potting medium. With your plant, which loves a peaty potting mix, I'd use a regular (soil-less) potting mix, maybe with some perlite added for extra porosity. Stem cuttings can be made any time in the spring through summer. I really wouldn't attempt it now, if I were you.

Use cuttings of 4 inches or so, with all but a couple of the top leaves removed. I don't use rooting hormone, but lots of people do. Soak your propagating medium thoroughly, pre-drill holes with a sharpened pencil (or similar), insert the cutting and water again. Do not pack the soil down around the stem but let the water do the job.

I don't cover my cuttings, but a lot of people do. Use pencils or skewers inserted in the pot to support a plastic baggie or plastic wrap, but be sure you create some breathing holes in the plastic. Place the cuttings in a warm, location out of direct sunlight, and do not disturb except for watering. Do not be tempted to keep yanking on the cuttings 'to see' of they've taken root. After three for four weeks, gently tug on one to see if there is any resistance. Resistance means ROOTS!

Fertilization is not required when propagating. I'll recommend that you put any Miracle-Gro fertilizer away for the time being. Miracle-Gro potting medium might be what you meant, and some of those have fertilizer in them, don't they? (I don't use the stuff, so I don't know.) By the way, if Miracle-Gro is your soil-less medium of choice, be sure to add that extra perlite. (I never recommend vermiculite as an amendment because it collapses so rapidly.)

Rule of thumb is: keep it simple. There is absolutely NO need for a complicated, detailed recipe. All you need is something that will hold the cuttings in place and that will provide water AND oxygen to the cutting. I've had perfect success with all of the individual materials listed above. What I use depends upon the type of plant I'm propagating, the method, and what I happen to have on hand at the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here