Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I regret this already

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 21:40

So I had this rather large container with a begonia in it. I've been struggling to decide which plants are coming back indoors for the winter. I have a small house that faces north, so I don't have much room.
Anyway, I felt that the begonia was now way too large to bring in. I decided to just take a few slips.
In the meantime we had a few light frosts. Now I'm upset because the slips are looking very sad.
In a last ditch effort I dumped out the pot to see if there were any salvageable pieces. What I discovered was that the plant easily separates into sections. I could have selected a couple of smaller pieces and potted them up.
So I'm trying now, but it's probably too late.

At least I have a picture.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I regret this already

That was a nice looking plant for sure. I hope that the cuttings you took pull through.

o

Hi North..I'm unsure what you did..lol.

When you unpotted, was the foliage destroyed? If not, can you repot in the same container?

Since your house has little space, is it possible to place your plant in a hanging basket?

Also, since most of your windows face north, have you considered adding artificial lights?

Your Begonia and other goodies are gorgeous. Toni

o

Toni, this a really big container. I guess I just got overwhelmed by all the plants that needed to be dealt with. I looked at the begonia and felt there was no way I could bring it in, so took a few quick slips.

A week or so later, I noticed the slips were going downhill rapidly. That's when I went out to see if I could salvage anything of the plant. Trouble is, we'd had frost by then.
Had I realized how easily the begonia could be divided, I would have done it while the plant was still in good shape.
Now it is very questionable if the divisions will survive, seeing how they have been damaged by frost.

This is one of those plants that flourishes outdoors. It mixes nicely in my shade containers, so is nice to have.

BTW, I do have artificial lights down the basement. But they quickly fill up with coleus and geraniums, etc. I took slips of all kinds of things, lol.

o

North, I can see why your plants need a big container. :)

Is the trunk firm or soft? If firm, your Begonia is alive. Check the trunk/stems daily.
If firm a week or so later, you have nothing to worry about.

It's a Beautiful Begonia. Leaves have so much purple. I hope it's okay. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here