Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug spray ????

Posted by emerald1951 4 (rstrobel@mchsi.com) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 21:41

Hi all.....
well its that time....the temp is going down....
its going to freeze here they say sunday night....
and my question is, what do you spray your plants with
to get rid of the bugs before your plants come in?????
I have not moved any of my plants in yet....Ohhhhh my...
I am going to be busy on friday....have to have them all in
before sunday....and I am not ready yet......linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug spray ????

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 2:11

While your plants are still outdoors, 3 applications at 2 week intervals of Bayer Advanced Insect Disease and Mite Control in a topical spray is an effective choice. It contains a systemic insecticide effective against most insects with rasping/sucking mouth parts, a systemic fungicide, and a miticide. Because it's systemic, it has good residual effects on fungal infections and insects other than mites. It's ingredients are approved for use on indoor plants, but you need to avoid the actual spraying indoors, and let the product dry before moving plants indoors. As always, read/follow the directions very carefully and exercise the use of common sense.

Al

o

Which are your concern? Critters living vicariously, like ants or spiders in the soil, or the pests of plants like mealy bugs, aphids, mites? If I find plant-destroying pests, I am usually able to remove them manually, by rinsing, or with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. Depends on the particular critter, particular plant. If you think critters might be living in the pots, submerge the soil in a larger tub of water for a few minutes. Anything in there should evacuate. I do that to all pots that are coming inside. If something comes out that could have laid an egg in the soil, I repot.

o

Hi Linda...

Purple's advice about dunking plants is a great idea. It's more work, but like she said, spiders, earwigs, etc, will evacuate.

If you're conccerned out mites, scale etc, a different approach is needed.

I prefer not using chemicals, so I make a home-made insecticide.

Water in spray bottle
Fish Emulsion
Citrus rind
Hot Pepper
Garlic
2-3 drops dish soap
Mouthwash...Listerine

Place ingredients in water/spray bottle. Shake well. Spray upper, lower leaves and stems.

This method prevents/kills, scale and mites. If a little Rubbing Alcohol is added, it should halt mealy.

If whitefly is present, yellow-sticky-traps are the best.

Good luck, gotta start hauling plants in, too..They're predicting 30-something degrees a couple nights this coming week. Toni

o

Al,
I got this tip from you, Neam oil with murphy's oil soap only drops of each in a spray bottle mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with rubbing alcohol and water. I been using this and it seems to be working fine. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here