Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will07_gw

First Frost

Will07
9 years ago

Right before work today I looked at the weather and realized we'd be having our first frost tonight! It's been pretty chilly nights for about a week or so here but there will be that killer tonight. Right before work I was scrambling to get what I could into my greenhouse (unheated) and bring in side what should have been brought in last week because I worked late. I also had a nice surprise that my Episcia has quickly died from the cool weather which sucks. Right now everything is kind of piled up until I can make room. Also my Norfolk, one of my favourites, has finally out grown her spot in the bathroom (see pic). I don't really have another spot for her so she will get to stay there one last winter then after that I'll worry about it. As for spraying the plants before I brought them in? Not yet, but tomorrow I'll bring them back out side when I have a chance and clean them up.

So, has anyone else started their gruelling task of bringing in their beauts?

Comments (19)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

So far it seems that the migration can wait a bit longer. The forecast for the next week shows a couple nights where it will dip below the 50s but so far no threat of frost.

Not looking forward to this.

Major re-arranging will be in order.

I'm trying to hold out to the last minute because the indoor lighting here is way less that optimum.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

We had a chance of frost last night, luckily it didnt happen but I had already started bringing my plants in last week. Yesterday I brought in my banana and left it in my screened in porch and I just put it back outside in the sun,pretty soon I'll have to bring her in for good. Will your Norfolk is beautiful. I'm hoping my coleus will survive another winter in the house, this will be her 2nd winter,shes one of my pride & joys.
    Christine

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

We almost had but not quite a frost, most of my plants made it inside. we in Albany are lucky to be a tad later than the northern state to get our frost, my garden is still alive though :), and hi asleep.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Oh hey Teen!
    Good to see you're still around! :)

Was thinking that although the majority of my plants are still outside,there ARE a few exceptions. My big ole ficus elastica cuttings came in a week or two ago because the wind was knocking 'em over and they are in for the winter as I just don't feel like putting them out again. Since then I took a couple of ficus benjaminas in to pot them together in an effort to preserve space which will soon be a problem and always is at this time of year. Like the elastica,I decided to keep it in for the year as well. As many of you know,when a benji is subjected to changes in it's environment,it's prone to drop leaves,and although I've seen a few go already,it's pretty impressive how well it's holding on. My landlord set up a dehumidifier in the front because my particular location in the overall building holds humidity a little TOO well. I've been disabling it when nobody's looking and re-enabling it before they notice what I've been up to...hey...I have plants to think about! lol
    So taking the greatly reduced humidity into account,I think my benji is doing great so far in it's acclimation to less than perfect environs.

Of course most of the occupants of my terrariums have been inside for the entirety of the growing season and I managed to collect a few more tanks in the last few months so figuring out how to arrange everything when the time comes will be an interesting challenge if not a complete pain in the hindquarters.

Been debating whether or not to make an indoor greenhouse out of drycleaner bags cut apart and taped back together around a frame of some sort,so that a muggy atmosphere can be maintained inside while the dehumidifier chugs along to prevent mold(ideally).

As of yet,the jury is still out on that one...we'll see. ;)

Edited to throw up a not so great pic of the benjaminas I grouped...

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 19:16

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Christine, she's fantastic! 'Kong Rose?'

Not close to the threat here yet, but have been getting the house ready. ...which involves finally deciding it's time to unpack the last few boxes, get rid of MORE stuff, find dark spots for dust-catchers to clear up space near windows, putting up many many hooks & other finagling needed to be ready.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Tiffany, Thank you, you know your coleus, want a piece?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I have it, but TYVM!!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

In preparation for coming back inside I consolidated my two philo bips. Rather than putting them both back in the larger pot,I elected to use the smaller one effectively down-potting the larger one. Liking the look of it. Think I'm gonna keep it this way from now on and let the aerial roots tie the whole thing up eventually. Note the straw...directing an aerial where you want it to go is going to help in this en-devour. I'll bet if the roots of one entangle the roots of the other,the cambium layers will fuse without hesitation...they are clones,pups off the same mother plant.

Anyway,..
    Here ya go...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

...and here's a close-up.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

We had frost other night, & I managed to stuff my breezeway with plants...small space, too many big plants (6 angel's trumpets! + one 8feet tall benjamina), many smaller. Brought them outside again, as temps are considerably higher now, nights predicted just below 50 for about a week or so.

Will07
    what are you using to spray your plants?
    How about anybody else?
    Rina

• Will07
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Asleep, your tree philodendron looks spectacular! Looks like it is in its natural habitat with the new under potting you've done. Also very clever idea with the straws.

Rina, I use End All on my plants. Throughout the winter I'll put them in the shower and give them a nice bath. With the larger pots I'll wrap the pots with a garbage bag so they don't get wet feet. It's been working for me so far!

• teisa
    9 years ago

My mother has several plants outside. Each year when she brings them back in they suffer a substantial leaf drop. She uses propane heat. Is this caused from leaving them out too long or from the gas heat? Any ideas?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Will
    Thank you. I see you are in Canada. Where do you buy End All?
    TIA.
    Rina

• Will07
    Original Author
    9 years ago

End All is available at most garden centres. In ontario they have to be under lock and key but Rona, Home Depot, lowes, maybe even walmart will carry it. It's basically insecticidal soap with pyrethrins.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thank you Will !

Really can't remember where I picked up the straw trick but I've been using that technique for quite a while now.

One thing you want to remember to do is to slice the straw in advance,just in case the root finds the mix when you're not looking(they actually seem to grow faster when in there),..that way you can open it up and carefully peel it off. I speak from experience when I say that it's one of those "ounce of prevention" kinda things. :)

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 11:21

• paul_
    9 years ago

Several of my cacti/succs have been relocated. Haven't had a significant frost yet, but chilly and wet media can do cacti/succs in lickety-split. Others like my Ficus benjamina will remain outside yet. My vft will remain outside into the hard frosts and then it goes in the fridge for the winter.

Asleep, what you should do with that philo -- considering the time of year that is upon us -- is to get a realistic skull to wedge in that pocket amongst the aerial roots.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

That's an interesting proposal,Paul. I could see using an actual skull of an animal with an aerial running through it.

Of course if I changed my mind later,that would be hard to undo.

Kinda doubt that this place gets much in the way of trick-or-treaters,and even then less likely that they would be able to appreciate it anyway seeing as it is probably going to be in my room and not out front when it comes inside. I'll be the only one benefiting from the addition should I choose to add something to the overall look.

Truthfully I'll admit that it's unlikely that I'll add anything anyway just because I love the look as it is for now...but who knows?...things change. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Annnnnnnd THIS is what happens when you forget how often you need to check on progress...tip got out of the straw and when it found dry air again it withered. Had I stayed on top of it,I could have made adjustments.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

There.

Much better. :)