Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Say Hi to Phyllis, (my arrowhead vine)

tifflj
11 years ago

Phyllis is one of my problem plants. She started out in a 9" pot...stupid me. And then I put her in a 6" about 2 weeks later after I realized...DUH!

Since having her her biggest problem has been the shorter leaves closest to the soil turning yellow. She has had about 4-5 of them turn yellow and I snipped them. She just had one the other day.

Other than that she seems ok. She has 5 new sprouts coming up.

So what are some tips and tricks for her that you have experienced?

What will she do? Grow tall, eventually hang?

How can I get her bigger and bushier?

Comments (10)

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Top view of Phyllis

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I'm trying to remember what caused yellow leaves on my arrowhead vine, it wass either overwatering or underwatering (Not sure if that helps you at all).

Planto

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

"Phyllis" is a Syngonium, they're a climbing aroid that are more at home scrambling up over trees than sitting in a pot of soil. So they do best kept in a free draining organic mix. There's quite a lot of varieties that have been bred and are available on the market.

The leaves on Phyllis are the immature ones. As the plant matures the leaves will change. As far as height goes, the sky's the limit. They grow up high and drop runners down to the ground which then go running off to find a new tree. Some of mine that have taken over some trees.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

TropicBreeze..now that is one huge Syngonium..Beautiful! What a gorgeous scene..Is the place your garden???

Tiff, reducing pot size was a good idea. I only have one Sygonium..leaves yellow when soil dries too much, however, they will yellow from over-watering, too.

Once Phyllis gets a little taller, she'll start leaning..It's up to you if you want her to hang or grow upright.
    To be honest, at least in my opinion, an upright/staked Sygonium looks nicer. Leaves grow larger when staked, too.

An occassional yellow leaf is normal, but if it happens daily, there's a problem.

Phyllis looks healthy enough. Vivid colors, perfectly-shaped leaves. So far so good. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

When it starts making a vine, you'll know. It will stick out and should start making aerial roots soon. If it has something to climb on, those roots will cling to the support. If not, the vines will dangle over the edge. Pieces with aerial roots can be used to start new plants.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Syngonium grow like weeds - literally - outdoors in the tropics. You probably won't see that much change in leaf shape, since you'll have it in a pot. And yes, it will make a huge hanging plant. Don't worry about the tiny yellow leaves, especially since you see new growth. As it gains some maturity, if it gets too dry, the older leaves on the stems will yellow. It's very adaptable, but doesn't really like to stay moist - let the soil aerate around 70 - 80% beteen waterings. It will start sending out vines when it settles, and if you want to make it thicker quickly, just cut those vines into pieces and stick them back into the soil. Remember, it's a weed. Beautiful, absolutely, but still a weed.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Hopefulauthor, that's part of the garden out front that I neglect, hence the jungle look. The main garden out the back also looks like a jungle, but a bit more ordered and maintained. I don't want it to have that "manicured look". I love rainforests.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Tifflj, the leaves will be coming from a stem which is buried under the soil in the pot. That stem will elongate, come up out of the soil and "look" for something higher to climb up on. If you put a stake/totem of some sort in the pot the plant will find it (or can easily be trained onto it). It doesn't need to be straight, you can even make a hoop. As it reaches the top and hangs down you can just re-attach it to the support again.

A photo of one starting off up a tree. (It's got a long way to go before it starts to hang down.)

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Tiff:

I'm right there with you with struggling to see how my little arrowhead vine will actually vine. It looks so nice and neat as it is in its pot. Hard to believe some of these before/after pictures. I'm excited to see the "transformation"!

-Rachel