Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant I.D.?

Posted by nyccoconut 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 21:58

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the plant in the attached image. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant I.D.?

Looks like a dieffenbachia to me. I don't have one so I don't know how to care for it though I probably could keep it quite happy with this magic touch I have with plants. I like your sansiveria there on the left. What species is it?

o

Morning All,

Hi Jeff,

I agree with Pumpkin, your plant looks like Dieffenbachia.

Nowadays, there are a good number of species and cultivars, so sometimes it's difficult ID'ing plants accurately.

For instance, there are numerous Aglaeonemas that resemble Dieffenbachias.

BTW, does your pot have drainage? Drainage is a must-have, otherwise plant will rot.

Toni

o

I was thinking that it lookex like an Aglaonema cultivar....maybe 'Emerald Bay '. What size is it?

o

Ditto Rhizo. :)

o

Thanks all! I DO think it's Emerald Bay.

I don't have a drainage hole. I haven't used drainage in over 20 years (like the clean, modern look of just a pot). I find the very specific watering needs of the plant and stick to them... enough to keep it watered and not so much that the roots rot. Anytime I've gone to repot, the roots have been healthy and beautiful.

Not sure about the sansevieria... here's a link to various cultivars: http://www.theamateursdigest.com/sansevs.htm

Thanks so much!!!!
Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Sansevieria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here