Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is on my rubber plant leaves?

Posted by tifflj Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 22:04

Can someone identify what is on my rubber plant leaves? Yes, I had been misting. Often. As I read they like it...

I saw this funk on some of the leaves and was told it was bacterial / fungal infection.

I have since clipped the leaves that looked like this and now it is less bushy. :( Will leaves grow back in the places I snipped from?

Also, can anyone provide advice on my rubber plant to help it be the best it can be. What works best for light, fertilizers...when to fertilize and so on.

My rubber tree is green with white on the outside of the leaves and red / pink in the stem andin the veins. From what I have read this is a Sylvie Rubber...

Hence her name:Sylvie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is on my rubber plant leaves?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 7:44

Oedema is a common problem, especially in the variegated variations of several species of Ficus. It occurs primarily as a result of over-watering, but light and humidity levels at the time of over-watering, as well as temperature and nutritional considerations, all have their impact on severity of the symptoms.

There is no need to mist your plants. First, it raises humidity for maybe 10 minutes if you're lucky. That leaves 1,430 minutes of the day where humidity is what it is - unaffected. Also, Ficus is a genus well-protected against transpirational loss of moisture in dry conditions by its thick, leathery leaves and the plenitude of cuticular waxes in leaf derma.

I'll leave you a link that was written to help with the cultural considerations of maintaining Ficus in containers for the long term. If you find that helpful, and want to read more about maintaining trees (in general) in containers for the long haul, let me know. It goes into more detail.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Ficus in containers if you click me ....

o

here is another picture of my rubber tree.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 15:11

When your soil is water-retentive, the ratio of soil volume to plant mass is a very important consideration when it comes to avoiding common issues like over-watering and a high concentration of salts in the soil. You have a lot of what appears to be a water-retentive soil and little plant (mass), which makes over-watering virtually inevitable if you're trying to water correctly ....... and the oedema diagnosis highly probable.

Al

o

Al: Are you telling me that pot is too big? Should I go smaller when I switch out the soil this coming weekend?

o

Hi Tiff

if you are going with a much more open mix like a 5.1.1, then you can use a pot much bigger than the root mass since over watering is virtually impossible and you will be able to water more frequently at copious amounts while the probability of salt deposit build up is impossible.

If you stay with a much more water retentive mix, such as the one you have your plant in, then a smaller size pot, one just a slight bigger then the root mass would do until your next repot which should not take too long.

Mike

o

Well I am not looking to, nor do I believe anything needs repotted yet. THe only thing I want to do right now is change out the soil. I am looking forward to this this weekend in the worst way!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here