Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrblubs22

Dracena problems

MrBlubs
10 years ago

I got a dracena fragans from.my.neighbours when they moved and when I got the leaves look.like they are drying out... Ive only watered it once. since Ive had it (1 week)
Whats wrong with it?

Comments (4)

• grrr4200
    10 years ago

from what i can see maybe a humidity problem? its very dusty. id give it a shower

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I agree. It doesn't look too bad from what I can see. Corn plants generally have a haggard, beat-up, brown-tip kind of look that's hard to rise above, in a pot.

Does it look like the pot is packed with roots? Did they just not have room to move this plant? It wasn't discarded for having some kind of pests? If so, fantastic score! These are slow growing plants, that one must have some significant age to it.

• MrBlubs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hopefully I can fix the humididty problem....
    I cant see any roots from looking down on the pot and they were jist moving to another country and couldnt bring it with them. Tjey also gave me A huge spider plant amd a Thanksgiving Cactus!
    Thanks for the help!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I would recommend trying to use something besides tap water for a Dracaena in general, but especially since it looks like it would be cumbersome to take this rather large plant to a tub or shower every time it's thirsty. Using distilled or rain water would prevent tap water chemicals from building up in the soil, as well as possibly changing the PH over time, neither of which plants appreciate.

I thought it was given to you for a reason like that. It doesn't look like it has a pest problem. If the root ball gets really dry, which is not a bad thing unless the leaves wilt, water may have difficulty penetrating, hydrophobic soil. To see if that is going on, give a sprinkle lightly over the surface and see if some comes out of the holes at the bottom at first, then soaks back in after a few minutes. If so, it may not be getting moist much at all deep inside the pot when it's been watered lately. In that case, it may need double-drinks like that between dryings (you wouldn't want to try to have it soggy all of the time, quite the opposite,) until it can be repotted. If you mess up and water is sitting in the saucer still after 30-45 minutes, a turkey baster can help get it out without moving the plant or trying to dump the saucer. Waiting until spring to repot a plant that looks that good, at this late point in the year, is probably what I would do.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz