Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracena problems

Posted by MrBlubs none (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 22:08

I got a dracena fragans from.my.neighbours when they moved and when I got the leaves look.like they are drying out... Ive only watered it once. since Ive had it (1 week)
Whats wrong with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracena problems

from what i can see maybe a humidity problem? its very dusty. id give it a shower

o

I agree. It doesn't look too bad from what I can see. Corn plants generally have a haggard, beat-up, brown-tip kind of look that's hard to rise above, in a pot.

Does it look like the pot is packed with roots? Did they just not have room to move this plant? It wasn't discarded for having some kind of pests? If so, fantastic score! These are slow growing plants, that one must have some significant age to it.

o

Hopefully I can fix the humididty problem....
I cant see any roots from looking down on the pot and they were jist moving to another country and couldnt bring it with them. Tjey also gave me A huge spider plant amd a Thanksgiving Cactus!
Thanks for the help!

o

I would recommend trying to use something besides tap water for a Dracaena in general, but especially since it looks like it would be cumbersome to take this rather large plant to a tub or shower every time it's thirsty. Using distilled or rain water would prevent tap water chemicals from building up in the soil, as well as possibly changing the PH over time, neither of which plants appreciate.

I thought it was given to you for a reason like that. It doesn't look like it has a pest problem. If the root ball gets really dry, which is not a bad thing unless the leaves wilt, water may have difficulty penetrating, hydrophobic soil. To see if that is going on, give a sprinkle lightly over the surface and see if some comes out of the holes at the bottom at first, then soaks back in after a few minutes. If so, it may not be getting moist much at all deep inside the pot when it's been watered lately. In that case, it may need double-drinks like that between dryings (you wouldn't want to try to have it soggy all of the time, quite the opposite,) until it can be repotted. If you mess up and water is sitting in the saucer still after 30-45 minutes, a turkey baster can help get it out without moving the plant or trying to dump the saucer. Waiting until spring to repot a plant that looks that good, at this late point in the year, is probably what I would do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here