Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

This is Jewels (peace Lily)

tifflj
11 years ago

This is Jewels. Her flowers have died off and I cut the stem at the top as I read to do. She has been real healthy. She did have brown tips on almost all of her tip about a month ago and I snipped them all off. So far so good.

What is the best care for her? How many blooms can she have at once? When will she bloom again?

I read she is sensitive to certain fertilizers. She doesnt like chemicals.

I was misting her too and stopped after I had the issue with the rubber tree and misting...

Comments (5)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

She's a beaut! I also like your Kermit the frog in the background.

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Jewel's looks healthy enough.

Peace Lily's seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to flowering. They can bloom summer, winter, spring or fall. There could be one flower or several.

My Spaths blooms more when soil dries, then a hearty drink is given. Before I know it, several buds appear. However, soil that dries too much may also brown leaves.

They like bright, indirect, 'especially in summer' sun. Please don't make the mistake I did. I placed my green Spath on a shelf in the bedroom this summer. Not only was it HOT, the window faces south. Most leaves browned. It's NOT a show plant..lol.
    My variegated PL is in the bathroom facing west, but shaded by two Palms..leaves are healthy. When I shower, I reach for the PL and spray leaves, sometimes soil, too, since it's a heavy drinker.

My two Spaths are fertilized w/Fish Emulsion which is a chemical-free/organic type. It's also been fertilized w/All Purpose types, w/chemicals, didn't notice any difference.
    When I use chemical-type fertilizers I only add half the recommended dossage, 'on all plants.'

Although PL's can bloom year round, my green Spath flowers more in autumn..since it's older, flower color is pale-green..they start out white, but change to green.

Jewels is doing great.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The number of blooms would correlate to the number of individual plants in the pot. If memory serves, each one can make one flower at a time, but I admit, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to my PL's for the few years I had some, so hopefully someone who's paid more attention can confirm or deny.

I wouldn't worry about making any attempt to separate this one since its' natural tendency is to grow a crowd of individuals anyway, but that's just my opinion, based on much less experience with this one than parlor palm.

• scsva
    11 years ago

Lovely PL. PL do not do well for me so I've stopped trying.

Susan

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Your peace lily looks really good; just be careful about keeping it too wet - brown tips all over the plant are its attempt to tell you its roots are too wet. Spaths don't really like to stay wet. Let it dry until the leaves approach a 45degree angle to the leaf stem, then water. Misting is useless - plants don't get to be one of the 3 or 4 most used commercial species by being finicky. Fertilize 3 or 4 times a year with any all-purpose fertilizer - I've never known them to be chemically sensitive ( probably someone had one too wet and thought it was from chemicals.) Each leaf has the power to make one flower in its life, so the secret of having lots of flowers is to grow lots of new leaves. And aside from all the other aspects of good culture, the best way to encourage new leaves is to cut off old leaves. So any leaves that don't look perfect, feel free to cut them off. Cut the leaf stem (or break it) flush with the main stem. Likewise, when you cut flower stems, cut them as close to the leaf stem as possible; you don't want to leave empty stems sticking on the plant. As far as how many flowers you can expect, it depends on the variety - some never have more then 2 or 3 flowers at a time, some often have as many as 20. You don't need to worry about separating plantlets; after a few years, though, you'll find the bared main stem of the plant rising above the surface if you don't follow annual repotting techniques, so then you'll probably want to repot.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz