Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notpoliticallycorrec

Shamrock (Oxalis) plant

Please help! I've had a shamrock plant for over 25 years. Started as a little 3" potted plant. It was quite spindly looking so I repotted it (it's been 10 years!) and put it on my deck and it's gone absolutely crazy with growth. I live in North Central Washington state and will need to bring it back into the house soon. My concern is, it probably has all kinds of little creepy crawly friends living on it. How do I get rid of these friends before bringing it back inside? I really don't want to use chemicals and am hoping for some natural "bug ridding" solution. Many thanks!

Comments (3)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mind if the "friends" were like the 2 cuties on the table!
    I don't think oxalis are particularly prone to insect infestations. You might find a few tiny spiders lurking in there hoping for a meal.
    If were me, I'd simply wrap a few plastic bags round the pot to cover the soil - and not flood the pot - and just wash the foliage gently under the shower or a soft spray from the hose. That should dislodge most things, then just shake to rid the worst of the water and let it dry naturally.
    You can of course use an "organic" spray first and then wash off.
    Your plant will go dormant anyway so no large pests will have any cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: garlic/onion/pepper spray

• Drakens
    9 years ago

Neem oil should do it. Spray it down with that a couple times before bringing it inside.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Let it go completely dry and die back to the soil line. Let it rest, dry, for 1-3 months. Break apart the bulbous/tuberous root/soil mass & separate the root structures from the soil. Repot into a very fast draining soil and keep barely damp until the bulbs/tubers spring back to life. They will show their appreciation for the dry rest and for the thinning they need regularly. Plus, you'll have plants to share.

Al

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022